All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wisconsin Inaugural Elk Hunt

dsinwi

5 year old buck +
Thoughts?

Chance of getting drawn.....next to zero.

Our land is in Sawyer county roughly 8 miles from clam lake. I was surprised to read this last night. Over the last 10 years I’d say we have seen 5 cows/calves. Both me & the wife would love a chance at an elk hunt in Wisconsin but both agreed it may have opened to soon tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This state, as you guys are aware of, has just recently released (about a year or so ago) the elk they had quarantined in the Black River State Park. Not sure of the exact number (30 something I believe) but I had a Wonderful Experience seeing and photographing 16 animals last May. These photos were taken, during a snowy day, on private land while I was Spring Turkey hunting. The elk were free ranging the land we were staying on. This was the first Eyes On of these elk but the landowners had multiple trail cam PICS. Landowners will probably get first option on drawing a tag, when the DNR decides to have a season, since that is the way Wisconsin has their drawings for regular hunting seasons. It will take many years to build this herd so don't get too anxious about hunting these Beautiful, Majestic animals, It will take TIME.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I think it was Kentucky that the elk herd was doing so good they were migrating into other states. The herd is barley growing at all in WI. The wolves are a lot of the problem. I don't know what the big hurry is to hunt this small herd we have. Is the DNR going to manage them like the deer herd in northern WI? Shoot them all they are way overpopulated then wait there are none left don't shoot any deer they need to rebound. I say don't hunt them till they have a stable natural reproducing herd. All this money they put into this reintroduction and they want to treat them like a put and take pheasant stocked on public land, doesn't make any sense to me.

I was talking to a buddy of mine from Wisconsin today and the first herd was started at Clam Lake. Not sure how many elk were imported, he seems to think about 10 years ago but they estimate the herd around Clam Lake to be around 200 animals now. I read an article from the Lacrosse newspaper and the DNR is only issuing 10 bull elk permits this year 4 to residents, 1 to a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation raffle and 5 to the local Chippewa Indian tribe. https://www.news8000.com/news/wisconsin-launches-first-elk-hunt-1/716250385 I believe the season will be for 2 weeks. It's going to take many years for these animals to get to a huntable number. 10 tags doesn't mean 10 bull elk will get killed. Success ratio will probably be low.

That’s the same thing I seen on Facebook. I’d just like to see the numbers come up more, but would love the chance to hunt one someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also think it's a bit premature to have season on a herd that, based on what I've read, is not growing at the rate that was originally anticipated. I'd suspect that funding has probably become somewhat of an issue this many years into the project as well. I see no problem with the state stepping in with funding and I find it responsible to do so through the application process for the limited tags available. I'm sure many will apply and that's not a bad thing. I doubt I will but that is a choice we can all freely make.
It will be interesting to see how the state markets those individuals who are fortunate enough to draw.
I'm torn on elk being reintroduced in the first place but the train has left the station on that topic. I trust those in charge have true intentions for the project moving forward.

Thank you to those who replied. I wanted to hear what other's thought of this.

I think this is exactly what Wisconsin needs for hunting in general. We need to get people excited before no one is left to get excited.

I will surely be entering my name into the drawing. I’ll spend every day there hunting down the biggest bull of the group.

Has anyone read or heard anything regarding blaze orange requirements for the 4 elk hunters, or for the other types of hunters in the woods at the same time? I've looked for something about this, but haven't found anything. I suppose yet to be determined?

Is there any effort to cut Deer numbers in the elk range?

No need to cut deer numbers in most of the northern 1/3 of WI. On the forest-ag edges there are small pockets where a handful of farmers apply for ag damage from deer in Sawyer County. Where the elk have been released at the Clam Lake area there is not a problem with deer-elk competion or disease IMO. Can't speak for the Black River herd, but there is no elk hunt down there yet.

Well, the first elk harvest by a non tribal member in Wisconsin went well....What a shame. I can't fathom how adults can be so careless. People are just...never mind....

?

The hunter had a couple violations (shooting from the road) when he shot the elk. Elk was confiscated and the DNR has the horns and the meat will be donated to local food pantries.

Yeah, it wasn't careless, he didn't care at all, harvest at all costs was the mantra of the day...

Yeah you're right there. Not trying stir stuff, just ticked off.