Who's working in the woods this weekend?

see, i was down today and worked the ground, but didn't check the cards. Saw some big prints though, makes me wonder. I also got a video of 2 hen turkeys with about a dozen poults between them, always good to see. plowed 2 acres under, one being my failed alfalfa plot, just don't have the time to keep the weeds in check, and keep it mowed. that will get ptt, collards, med red clover.
also plowed the original plot on the property under, it has been a plot for 30 years now, always clover, this spot hadn't been planted in 5 years so it is time to start it over again. It will get the same, med red, and ptt/ collards.

Talked with my seed supplier, seems my lentil crops weren't optimal as they are cool season crops, might scratch my head a bit and figure a spot for a fall planting of them, leave the three areas with them alone see if they come back when the weather cools down. to their liking. Saw a lot of deer today, about 20 in all. nothing close enough to judge antler growth, but 2 that I could tell had some headgear at a hundred yards.

as suspected, the plots I planted last Saturday are up, 3 days of rains and no blazing heat since they went it, PTT, GHR, collards, and crimson clover all up and ready to do their thing!

I took the day off today and went bulldozing. 30 yards from completing the trail system on the south 40, I get high sided on a small maple clump I pushed over. I managed to back off using the blade. Upon backing up, I must have damaged a transmission oil line, because she was spitting tranny fluid and wouldn't move no more. Apparently these older deeres had a pair of steel lines joined with a 3" rubber hose that ran under the Dozer and would get damaged in situations like I was in. Well, time to purchase a service manual and get it fixed and get this project done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading about all of you guys having fun working in the woods has me dying to get to my farm. The family and I plan to leave Thursday morning and head to NC. Our cabin should be finished to the point we can stay in it if all goes as planned this week. Can not wait to check camera cards and the summer plots.

Well, time to purchase a service manual and get it fixed and get this project done.

Sounds like your uncle is going to leave it with you rather than in the driveway so that may not be a bad idea...

Sounds like your uncle is going to leave it with you rather than in the driveway so that may not be a bad idea...

I was up until midnight last night reading the entire 400 pages. They weren't exactly detailed back in the 70s but it's much better than nothing. I skipped through the massive engine and tranny rebuilding sections lol.

I took another vacation day tomorrow (Wednesday) and am heading to the property with the landscape rake and the John Deere. I'm getting seed in the ground on this big plot tomorrow. Clover, rye and oats. Hope to diagnose the Dozer problem in the morning also.

I'll update tomorrow with pictures.

They weren't exactly detailed back in the 70s but it's much

Man I feel that pain.. I'm working on my Dads 1951 dodge truck that sat at my brothers for years under cover. It has no brakes. The shop manual says remove the wheel, then remove the brake drum...........that's it no details. Just remove the drum.

Ok that made sense in 1951 but what it doesn't say is you need a big puller that everyone had and knew how to use in 1950. No one has one anymore.. When I finally figured it out and put a dink puller on it and beat on it for 2 weeks and gained nothing I did some research and then threw heat at it, "boom" it popped off with vengeance.

I love working on old stuff. It amazes me sometimes how today we look at the old mechanical stuff as backwards. But at the time it was ingenious.

Found the problem on the Dozer and got it fixed up!

I took another vacation day tomorrow (Wednesday) and am heading to the property with the landscape rake and the John Deere. I'm getting seed in the ground on this big plot tomorrow. Clover, rye and oats. Hope to diagnose the Dozer problem in the morning also.

I'll update tomorrow with pictures.

I had to kick out the sticks from the landscape rake on each field pass. Wasn't to bad with a 7ft rake. Took a few hours on the entire new plot.

f27f7a085d80b9e85efbc474337cbc66.jpg

b20b263eebcc17cfc85899b143d32978.jpg

314562ef54b33e502a4197e2594b6fc1.jpg

The "knob" picture all cleaned up.

4ec8322a3eb6a42d7abb58d31ae5bf0c.jpg

good grief that loooks like it was a lot of work even with a tractor and a good rake, yikes. that is what it take though, that plot will pay off for years to come now.

Hauled 10 more gallons of water out to each of my new water holes today. Lots of rain on the way the next two days. That should help. I also put in my first brassica plot today. It's a little over a third of an acre area (three trails that converge). It was raining when I was spreading seed and I was soaked by the time I left. Hopefully good things happen. They were out of rape seed so it's just purple top turnips and GHFR. Time will tell.

Did a bit of stand trimming, and pulled trail cam cards. GOt a ton of good pictures over the last two weeks from 2 out of 3 cameras, the third was a turd, replaced the batteries as it had zero pics, and this cam was in the best spot to catch the sneaky ones. I did see one shooter buck while walking the edge of my corn, jumped up 40 feet in front of me and bounded off. plots are looking good, corn is fattening up the ears, brasicas planted a couple weeks ago have been blessed by timely rains and moderate temps, cleth has done its thing and clover appreciates it.

good grief that loooks like it was a lot of work even with a tractor and a good rake, yikes. that is what it take though, that plot will pay off for years to come now.

It was a lot of work, even with the machines. It sure is pretty though, and I can see bits of green from the seeds I planted Wednesday night!!! Can't wait!

My forecast holds true I will be doing some mowing (sprayed cleth for grass in plots last week - hit the broadleaf weeds with the mower) and maybe get a jump on some stand hanging.....gotta take advantage of weather like this in August - this is highly abnormal for us......it's usually 95 or more, drier than a popcorn fart and humid enough to stick paper to the wall!!!! I'll even risk getting rained on a little bit!
weather.jpg

headed out in a bit to check on a friends progress, he is new to plotting but has stepped in big, bought land, tractor implements, is readiing a lot and asking all the right questions, put down several tri axle loads of lime, and is going to have a helluva setup in a short amount of time.
then I will stop by my place, spend some seat time with the disc, couple choice spots for some brassica near some choice stands.

then I will stop by my place, spend some seat time with the disc, couple choice spots for some brassica near some choice stands.

Sure is a nice day for that. Don't know where our humidity went but I'm not complaining.

Well, not quite the weekend. But I managed to get out last night and do a bit of work.
Made a water run. Temps r cooling down an thought it was time to start staggering out water runs with the hopes of some rain to come. Was lucky enough to have help along again. Although she got stung in the neck from a bee from one of our hives right off the bat. Not a good start, but she was a trooper.
That makes it the 8th trip of the year totaling right around 1600gal or 320 five gallons pails worth, will say its better than any gym membership.

I need a bit of luck from mother nature at this point, throw n roll went in on july 22, only half inch of rain since then, missed three chances by miles. Some clover as come up. Just hope I don't run short on time.

Had the excavator out for stump removal, think I chose the wrong profession, $500 for 2 hrs work plus transport.
Still waiting on the tractor an plow to finish the last main project of the year. Was hoping to be done at the end of July, looking like August at this point.

Outside of that, just one more blind to put in, 2 mock scrapes to make, spray paint some dead trees for easier cutting in Feb/Mar. Move trail cameras to final position on main trail for ease of access. Weed whip one last time around new willow planting an one ground blind access trail. Water as needed. And put up new no trespassing/hunting signs. They somehow disappear every year...
Should be able to finish most of that this weekend.

Then I can call it good for the 2017 Habitat Season.

Dove opener is Sept 1
Goose Sept 2

Couldn't think of a better way to transition into fall.

Well - all the weekend talk screwed up my brain this morning! It was about 9 this morning and the wife comes in and asks, "You going to work today?" I thought she was being "smart" and trying to get me up to get some work around the house done. I was in no big hurry.....turns out today was FRIDAY! Oh crap!!!! Yep, for some reason I thought it was Saturday....wrong! So I got to get thru one more day yet!!!!

B2FDA474-2404-4B56-A7CD-DB528612A9E7.JPG IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1091.JPG Got an early start today and headed back out again tomorrow. I'm so fortunate to be just about an hour away. I checked on my new brassica plots planted last weekend. We've had a lot of rain this week and I got great germination already. I checked on my waterholes. They're finally full but still waiting to be found by the deer. Then I worked on mowing an area I'm expanding for a food plot. I'm expanding one of my food Plot trails into a quarter acre plot. I sprayed two weeks ago, mowed today and tomorrow my brother the chainsaw wizard is helping me get started cutting down the smaller trees.

IMG_1092.JPG Here's the area I'm clearing. I wish I had a before picture.