All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's working in the woods this weekend?

well three other guys showed up today to lend a hand, which was good, left me to get done what I needed to, namely finish making the spray wand setup.

Parts list:

1 campbel hauschfield 50 foot self retracting air line hose reel, synthetic hose
1 3/8th female to 1/2 inch barbed
1 3/8th female to half inch male fitting
1 1/2 inch T
2 half inch barbed ball valves
7 1/2 to 1 inch worm clamps
super jet spray wand.

spliced the T in between the pump and the spray boom, with a ball valve after the T to the boom.
at the other T outlet added another ball valve that feeds the hose reel
Half inch to 3/8ths at the wand end threads right into the super jet wand.
all fittings with thread got liquid teflon tape.

also bought another 2.5 gallong jut of gly, on sale at tractor supply for 49.99

whipped up first batch, 2 0z gly per gallon and headed to the nearest mile a minute outbreak. spray wand works awesome, as does my electric pump with pressure switch. gun shoots about 30 feet, I could spray most of the outbreak from the seat of the tractor, but it was nice in a few spots to get that 50 feet of hose in use. at the end of it all, 100 % happy with how it works..

well three other guys showed up today to lend a hand, which was good, left me to get done what I needed to, namely finish making the spray wand setup.

Parts list:

1 campbel hauschfield 50 foot self retracting air line hose reel, synthetic hose
1 3/8th female to 1/2 inch barbed
1 3/8th female to half inch male fitting
1 1/2 inch T
2 half inch barbed ball valves
7 1/2 to 1 inch worm clamps
super jet spray wand.

spliced the T in between the pump and the spray boom, with a ball valve after the T to the boom.
at the other T outlet added another ball valve that feeds the hose reel
Half inch to 3/8ths at the wand end threads right into the super jet wand.
all fittings with thread got liquid teflon tape.

also bought another 2.5 gallong jut of gly, on sale at tractor supply for 49.99

whipped up first batch, 2 0z gly per gallon and headed to the nearest mile a minute outbreak. spray wand works awesome, as does my electric pump with pressure switch. gun shoots about 30 feet, I could spray most of the outbreak from the seat of the tractor, but it was nice in a few spots to get that 50 feet of hose in use. at the end of it all, 100 % happy with how it works..

You are killing me. We needs pics!

-John

a3033649f0331d1e20a60fc34b81e76e.jpg

Don't worry, not all the trails look this good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you finish up on all of your projects with that thing, you could swing over to my land and I would let you play around on my land for a bit :)

If you finish up on all of your projects with that thing, you could swing over to my land and I would let you play around on my land for a bit :)

Wouldn't that be fun! Have a little habitat day.

blazes it is hot...... almost glad I didn't ger my brasica mix in last week, would have cooked it as it tried to grow.

blazes it is hot...... almost glad I didn't ger my brasica mix in last week, would have cooked it as it tried to grow.

Wait til tomorrow:emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished:

We have had great growing weather past 4 weeks .. low to mid 80s during the day, 50/60s at night, then good rainfall at least 2 times per week.

Planted last of my soy beans & sugar beets 2.5 weeks ago and they were spouting out of the ground in 3-4 days.

ha, tomorrow I am graced with working in broklyn, we all kow how the natives get when they get hot, should be an interesting day. maybe I'll get lucky get to see one jump off the brooklyn bridge into the river........ which isn't high enough to kill, 75% or so survive. if the dopey basajoules wanted to die, they could easily jump off the section over land, that would work.

I'll be planting rye, peas and oats this weekend. Going to lay down some red clover as well. This will be my first attempt at no till. Rolling down the BW and sunflowers I planted back in May. I suspect some of that will bounce back up and that's ok too. Got a large oak down that I will have to tend too as well. Not enough trailer space to haul the woodsplitter up on this run, my shoulder can't handle the maul any longer, so that will have to wait for another day. Going to try and get back through the swamp to check on the maples my son and hinged last March. Hopefully some survived. If not that just as well.
Will be heading north a bit Saturday afternoon to help a friend get his plots in and share some camaraderie. I'll be ready for a cold one at the Wilderness by then:)

a3033649f0331d1e20a60fc34b81e76e.jpg

Don't worry, not all the trails look this good

That is cool. Did you rent that bulldozer or buy it? That's a nice looking trail.

IMG_1047.PNG IMG_1048.PNG
To reverse the question - Who's NOT working in the woods this weekend. The temperature where my property is was 106 yesterday with a heat index of 118. I'm staying home tomorrow.

yikes, that is a bit toasty......... pouring my coffee in a minute, and heading out to beat some heat, I will have 20 lbs of turnip, 10 lbs of collards, 30 lbs of crimson clover with me, need to disc4 plots totaling about 4 acres, then seed by hand, if there is time, I need to put the plow on, and plow another 2 acres, disc, and seed. then it is a run back home, pack up for a getaway tonight, tomorrow may find me at a winery or two, a brewery or three, and then Chicago and the doobie brothers at the PNC arts center.

That is cool. Did you rent that bulldozer or buy it? That's a nice looking trail.

Thank you! It's been sitting in my uncles driveway for years. I had my 33hp Deere MFWD tractor trying to do trails and it was not working. I was beating it to death. I called my uncle and said "I'm going to do something I never do. I'm going to ask for help. Can I borrow that Dozer?"

He said come on over and we will get it running and we can drop it off next week. We got it all fired up, lubed, greased and now the rust is knocked off of it. He said he was so happy to see it out of his driveway and working again. I said so am I!

I picked up new filters, oils, radiator cap, coolant, thermostat, and will be maintaining it for him while I have it. Thank goodness for my cordless DeWalt grease gun.

I learned a few things running this beast. I grew up working skid steers and tractors. Those are all wanna be dozers. I learned I have always wanted a Dozer and just had skidsteers and tractors. My next purchase, unless my uncle says use it whenever you want as long as you maintain it, will be a Dozer.

With a Dozer you can make your vision a reality, all it takes is time.

No crap, I started dozing this 1/4 mile long, 30 yard wide U shaped plot I designed, after I got experience making all the trails and running it for two days. I got started off the hill, it took a while to make enough room to steer the trees where I could move them, because it's a 25 year old popple growth, and backing up this ridge took some balls. I got the area cleared up a little bit, and just stopped. I said to myself, why don't you just hire this out for $140 an hour, then I said F that and got the plot done after 8 hours in the seat. That feeling of accomplishment is amazing.

I didn't get out there this weekend but I have more plans for this thing, that's for sure!

I've hired out bulldozer work a couple times and I'm amazed at the work they can do. You'll have to take some pictures of what your plots and trails look like once they are finished.

woohoo, planted 4 acres Saturday, it rained Saturday night, and again today! I'll take lucky over good everyday! Also sprayed a new clover plot with cleth, damn foxtail grass saw me look away for a minute and tried to take over, ot going to happen!

woohoo, planted 4 acres Saturday, it rained Saturday night, and again today! I'll take lucky over good everyday! Also sprayed a new clover plot with cleth, damn foxtail grass saw me look away for a minute and tried to take over, ot going to happen!

Nice when a plan comes together ... even when you don't have much control ...

Made it out for a little bit today. I didn't do any work. I just wanted to see if the deer found my waterholes yet. They haven't. I also pulled camera cards. It's only been two weeks since my last pull but I didn't have too many pics this time. I'm pretty sure the deer have moved on to summer food sources. I only had a few does pictures, w couple fawns and a spike buck. I also got my neighborhood hoodlem dogs a couple times and three coyote pics. I'm sure it's weird but the coyote pictures intrigue me and the dogs just irritate me.

Starting next week I've got a serious month of work planned finishing clearing a couple expanded areas and then need to get my fall plots in. I need to clear shooting lanes and install two new stands in the next couple weeks too if all goes well. Then we'll stay out until bow season opens on the 15th of September.