All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's working in the woods this weekend?

No plans for actual habitat work this weekend, but sounds like I will be potting my MG cuttings.

Have to be in the woods this weekend, clock is ticking and the calendar pages seem to be falling off lately.

Got the watering out of the way last night,
Short list for the weekend, likely to change slightly

- trim dead growth out of plum thicket in new food plot
- re-spray any missed spots
- whitewash apple trees for winter prep, this one was new to me, picked it up way back in the tread count, good info, thz again to OP
- finish screening old apple trees, also for winter prep
- mark stumps for removal
- weed whip around new willow plantings
- finish watering bucket system for all the new trees.
- hang treestand, cut shooting lanes
- put up ground blind an blend in

All fairly quick fun projects this weekend, should get most if not all plus some done.

Also was thinking about starting a land tour tread thing in the Habitat section, just not sure if anyone would even be interested, or how to go about it.

Last edited:
Have to been in the woods this weekend, clock is ticking and the calendar pages seem to be falling off lately.

Got the watering out of the way last night,
Short list for the weekend, likely to change slightly

- trim dead growth out of plum thicket in new food plot
- re-spray any missed spots
- whitewash apple trees for winter prep, this one was new to me, picked it up way back in the tread count, good info, thz again to OP
- finish screening old apple trees, also for winter prep
- mark stumps for removal
- weed whip around new willow plantings
- finish watering bucket system for all the new trees.
- hang treestand, cut shooting lanes
- put up ground blind an blend in

All fairly quick fun projects this weekend, should get most if not all plus some done.

Also was thinking about starting a land tour tread thing in the Habitat section, just not sure if anyone would even be interested, or how to go about it.
Regarding your comment about a land tour thread. DO IT! If not for others for yourself. It's a great way to document what you have done and what works and what didn't - I go back thru mine from time to time just to see how I did something because I take terrible notes. There isn't a "wrong" way to do one. Share what you like and go from there, doesn't matter if you pick up from the present day or go back the previous decade. It's a great way to pull all your projects, hunting and different things into one place. I hadn't done one until the Q kicked us to the curb. I'm not sure if I'm helping anyone or not, but I know I am documenting more about what I do and the process of it and the thought process involved more now than I ever had in the past. We often times fail to update old threads and as such we tend to loose the process and development of a project as it unfolds over time.....a land tour type thread is a great place to document that.

Knee high by the fourth of July? Heck no, tis taller than I!
3918ff0cba30abb88e5fc52f758fefbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Took a trip to Chicago last weekend and as w drove through the flatlands we commented on how tall the corn was this year.

I made it out today to give the DR another workout. I mowed an access trail along my north boundary, mowed access trails to two new stand locations and then tried my hand at a couple of deer sidewalks.

Last year I mowed an access path to a tree where I was going to put a stand. The tree didn't work out right so I moved the stand to another tree about 25 yards away. The deer took over the mowed path and used it as a trail. I shot a small buck coming off of that trail on the third bow sit of the year. So I mowed that strip again and then made a couple more connecting to a couple of my food plot trails within bow range of two other stand locations. I may go back in next winter and hinge cut some trees perpendicular to those trails. One of them is adjacent to a really thick area where I know deer bed sometimes.

I'm planning on going out tomorrow to spray a couple areas where I'm working on expanding food plots.

Then I pulled my camera cards. I've left them alone for a month. I put all of them on video and put them six feet high. While I didn't get a lot of pictures for a months worth of camera work I did get a lot of pictures of a momma and her two fawns, a small buck, a young doe and then two videos of this guy. This is just a picture of a paused video but I thought I'd share it.

FDD1B097-C03F-485F-8B67-74CC92D31027.JPG

Today a buddy and I went and marked a dozer trail with orange ribbon around the North East 40. Tomorrow, I finish off marking that trail to extend all the way down and around the South 40, and mark locations for the food plots and field; all I will be making in the timber. The timber is 25 year old Popple ranging in average from 4-8" in diameter.

My uncle is dropping of the Deere 450B dozer this coming week for me to run.

I can't wait. I've ran equipment nearly all my life, and can't wait for the experience of the dozer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made it out again today. I'm on vacation this week. After spending four days in Chicago my wife had to go back to work so I had two days to get some Island time without any work obligations.

Today I sprayed the two areas where I'm expanding my food plots. I doubt I'll get it all done this year but it'll be a nice winter project if I don't get it done now. After spraying I walked down the deer sidewalks I tried yesterday and I ended up taking the Silky Zubat along and hinged a bunch of smaller trees perpendicular to one of the trails. That area is on one of the corners of the property and other than using it to pass through it doesn't really have anything to hold deer. I'd like to really thicken that spot up next year.

I also marked and sprayed the vegetation where I hope to put in a couple waterholes. That's actually my next project on the list. I noticed deer tracks already today on one of the paths I mowed yesterday. Crazy how soon they come to investigate.

I really need to take some pictures and post them on here for feedback. I get so caught up working that I just never think about it. I'm fortunate that I can get out almost every week but it still feels like there's just so much to do that pictures get forgotten. All in all though it was a very efficient couple of days.

I got out over the weekend, replaced a snapped pin, plowed 3 acres, planted 5 female Persimmon, noticed something new on top of some of my corn, tassels! I would say less than .5 % showing this, but it is a nice early start, cant wait to sit near this plot this fall.

Well for the first time in a while I will have help on the property I manage in New Jersey. Having a work party, we'll have a 25 gallon ATV sprayer and my 55-gallon homemade sprayer attacking mile-a-minute weed with a 2%gly solution. Stuff is really starting to get out of control if we don't knock it now it will take over everything. We'll also be doing some trail maintenance edging back the bushes and trees that are trying to take over the spaces maybe a little posting of no trespassing signs along of joining properties. A little cleanup and if all that gets done I have 15 pounds of turnip 10 lb of collards and 10 lb of crimson clover that come go in. I am also hoping my delivery shows up with an additional 25 lb of crimson clover and 10 more pounds of groundhog radish. 3 acres are plowed and ready to be disked

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I found the perfect food plot mower.
e6cae6581e9883f05428af7f35c877ab.jpg

Now that is an idea!!!! No motors, no tractor, just pull!!!!

ha, as luck has it, my help will be withou me, got shanghaid into working tomorrow, o well, guess that leaves me with Sunday as plot day.

Got my waterholes put in today. Going back tomorrow to add a little more water and then hope for some rain. I started a thread on them on the Ponds side of the forum but here are a couple pics.

105BECB5-3C7C-409A-8DC9-C2E681765F53.JPG 28DB61DB-5C88-4255-B23F-552D332FA42A.JPG

Got my waterholes put in today. Going back tomorrow to add a little more water and then hope for some rain. I started a thread on them on the Ponds side of the forum but here are a couple pics.

View attachment 13994 View attachment 13995

Those look great!

Got the "exterior" trails dozed in today on my new property that was my goal for the first year. I also graduated myself today from first gear to second gear on this:

5e830dbfc4a97c473699c6e62377a795.jpg

Put in about 1.25 miles of trails. Just awesome. I'm so happy. In the background is all of what I was dozing. Average 4-6" popple with some 10" mixed in.

Now on to creating a destination sized food plot, and some ambush sites. I can't flipping wait.

wow, that is an awesome machine for what you are doing, I bet that could pull a 5 bottom plow, 20 foot disc.

coffee is on here, drip drip drip, then it is out the door, trip to tractor supply at some point for another 2.5 gallon jug of gly, and a new spray wand. Mile a minute, you are going down. consider this fair warning.

seems I should try to change trail camera cards today as well, hope for a glimpse of some good fuzzy bone growing. I will get a picture of this years first ears of dent corn, earliest I have ever gotten it to grow this far, I can't wait to see the draw it has in the late season as it stand there with it's bounty of food.
hope the pumpkins are being left alone, and it would be nice if the deer left some sunflower to grow and bloom.