Who are you?

Greetings! Just joined the site. Name is Ben. Born and raised Wisconsinite. Married to a wonderful lady and we have 3 kids 2 boys and a girl. I'm a low voltage systems integrator or voltage deprived if you're a sparky :-). Have been for the past 26 years. I do audio, video, automation, surveillance, video conferencing, networking and data cabling. Fortunate enough to have been self employed for the past 20 years. I work in southern Wisconsin but have worked all over the state and into Minnesota on occasion. One of my latest projects was to automate the National Dairy Shrine. Only in Wisconsin can a guy do that. :-).

A good friend and his family took me deer hunting my 1st time at age 12. Apparently I was hooked. My father was a bird hunter and never really hunted deer. I have learned through trial and error. Mostly error. I am very happy my oldest son who is 12 has taken an interest in deer hunting. He has been hunting with me for 3 yrs now. He has yet to take a deer. He has had numerous opportunities on doe but has his heart set on a buck. He has not had a good opportunity on a buck yet. He has been very happy to be patient and enjoys just being together in the outdoors. He understands it is most important to have a good clean kill opportunity.

I spent most of my life hunting Southern WI until a friend took me to his family farm in Northern WI in 1995 (Rusk County). His family had a large beef operation set on 880 acres. It had been hunted only by a couple people and the deer numbers and quality was unlike any thing I had ever seen. The 1st weekend there I saw 7 mature bucks. Unfortunately his father passed a few years later and now the farm has been split up. He and I and one other friend bought the home farm which is 142 acres. Since the farm has been split up the number of hunters is up and deer numbers are down. A couple recent tough winters and the influx of wolves didn't help either. That is really what has driven my quest for knowledge on how to improve what we have. Sorry if I ask questions about things that may have been covered already. I have read through a number of threads. We have practiced QDM for the past 20 yrs but I am not a QDM member nor was I on the old QDM site. I would like to say thank you in advance for any advice or consideration. I feel I am pretty handy and have some experiences in which I could hopefully provide some input.
Thanks Ben

Welcome to the site Ben.

Thanks bueller.

I've got family in West Bend - pretty country!

Welcome Ben!

Welcome Ben! Good looking GSP! Just got one this summer.

Attachments

• 7732.jpeg
    7732.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks everybody. What a welcome! Thanks Spiider she's actually a GWP :-)

Welcome aboard!

Heres a little better pic. Here she is along with my son a few years back after she found the sheds of a buck I passed a couple weeks earlier. After finding the sheds I was second guessing the pass. The best shot I had he was skylined on a hill. While I know theres no buildings over the hill I still didn't couldn't take the shot. That was the only time I saw him.IMG_0287.jpg

Sweet sheds and nice looking property in the background. Did you plant that line of pines along the water?

Sweet sheds and nice looking property in the background. Did you plant that line of pines along the water?
Thanks I did. Spruce cedar jack pine there is a line of nine bark and one other type of shrub just below then as well.

Thanks I did. Spruce cedar jack pine there is a line of nine bark and one other type of shrub just below then as well.
BTW Ben Bart is also me. When I 1st signed up I used my name vs my handle. Didn't see any where to change the name so I created a new account with my handle but with my phone I did not realize which account I was that is now changed so I should just be posting with Camp2

Wayne, 35, I"m a formulation/fill tech (manufacture flumist nasal spray), have a 5 year old boy (avatar, he got silly on his 1st all day sit) and a baby due in July. I own 31 acres in NE PA and 165 in SC PA. Started habitat improvements on my 31 acres 7 years ago and never looked back. The 31 got small and I yearned for more land.

Closed on the 165 acres last June,all timber, basically a 120 acre NW/SE ridge between creek bottoms on 1 side of the road and a 45 acre NW/SE ridge top on the other side. Good amount of ag the N,W, and E. 700 acre block of timber to the S. 90% of the property is pole stage timber, no browse, could see 200 yards. Could not sleep at night thinking of how to set it up. Paid for a Steve B aerial plan. 36 hrs on a Cat D3, 16 hrs on a mini excavator, and 8 weekends of cutting. I'm about 50% complete.

I'm here to learn more and get opinions on things i'm on the fence about.

Welcome aboard Wayne!

Welcome Wayne!

Cameron from Winona Co. Mn.

I hunt family owned property five minutes from my front door. I bow hunt, trout fish, and do land management all on this property.

I've been a lurker here for about a year and wanted to join up to be able to gain some insight on land management.

Welcome to the forum Cameron. Sounds like you have quite the recreational piece of land to play on.

Welcome to the forum Cameron. Sounds like you have quite the recreational piece of land to play on.

It is great!! I wish the stream was bigger. Its the headwaters of a larger stream. It has plenty of brook and brown trout (unstocked). About every 5 years or so it will produce a brown over 20" but they usually disappear. Im unsure if it is migration, predation, or trespass. I absolutely love bow hunting whitetails and lets just say I wish I was as good at it as I am at trout fishing.