All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you?

Joined yesterday. Same user name (Scarecrow) as the "other site". My name is Dan......turned 53 in June......Geeeeeeez that sounds old.
Been married for 27 years to the greatest wife/mother I could have asked for. Have 2 sons....one who is currently serving in Germany and the other who will be a senior in high school this upcoming year. Both my kids love the outdoors. Archery hunting, bass fishing, and fly fishing are our passions.
I own 140 acres in Northern Bradford County Pa. Purchasing this property was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.
Started playing with QDM about 10 years ago and its changed my world.....LOL.
Great to see some familiar people here and glad to meet the ones. BTW......I really enjoyed reading everyone's introduction.

Dan

Hello my name is Andrew, 28. Have a beautiful wife and a awesome son Logan who is almost 2. Joined today came over from qdma site that closed down its forums. I own 40 ac in south central Wisconsin and lease another 100 ac of woods. Me and my buddy have been practicing qdm for 6 years now and boy has it paid off. We have starting putting in food plots, cutting logging roads and hinge cutting. I work full time as an operator. I specialize in water management and land development. So if anyone has any question about moving dirt or land development I will answer any question as best as I can. Hope to read a lot of cool story and see some huge bucks taken this year.

Hello my name is Andrew, 28. Have a beautiful wife and a awesome son Logan who is almost 2. Joined today came over from qdma site that closed down its forums. I own 40 ac in south central Wisconsin and lease another 100 ac of woods. Me and my buddy have been practicing qdm for 6 years now and boy has it paid off. We have starting putting in food plots, cutting logging roads and hinge cutting. I work full time as an operator. I specialize in water management and land development. So if anyone has any question about moving dirt or land development I will answer any question as best as I can. Hope to read a lot of cool story and see some huge bucks taken this year.
Welcome to the club ;)

Good thing you're not my neighbor. I'd be begging dirt moving favors all the time.

Iowa guy in my forties. Have two teenage daughters and a great wife. I'm an EE by trade but currently work as a Regional Manager for a custom machine company. Been married for 22 years to a great woman. I cut my beer drinking teeth in the USN aboard submarines. We enjoy wheeling our rock crawler in Moab and hunting Iowa Whitetails, Turkeys and Pheasants.

I inherited an 80 acre farm from my grandfather a year ago. Rented out to corn this year but after harvest 60 acres will go into CRP. 32 into trees and 28 into pollinator. Just received my approved contracts today.

In the 20 acres that is not tillable I will be planting some into food plots.

Iowa guy in my forties. Have two teenage daughters and a great wife. I'm an EE by trade but currently work as a Regional Manager for a custom machine company. Been married for 22 years to a great woman. I cut my beer drinking teeth in the USN aboard submarines. We enjoy wheeling our rock crawler in Moab and hunting Iowa Whitetails, Turkeys and Pheasants.

I inherited an 80 acre farm from my grandfather a year ago. Rented out to corn this year but after harvest 60 acres will go into CRP. 32 into trees and 28 into pollinator. Just received my approved contracts today.

In the 20 acres that is not tillable I will be planting some into food plots.
Sounds like you have the project ahead of you. Hopefully you share some photos of the progress with us.

Oh boy, do I have questions...My land is near Necedah. If you are at all familiar with that area you know that there is no shortage of low ground and water. Been pondering a way to dry up some of mine. Pretty tough for you to advise without seeing it I suppose. Best option I can think of is to build a large pond to pull the water in. I know nothing about though subject though so other options may be available. Let's talk.

Oh boy, do I have questions...My land is near Necedah. If you are at all familiar with that area you know that there is no shortage of low ground and water. Been pondering a way to dry up some of mine. Pretty tough for you to advise without seeing it I suppose. Best option I can think of is to build a large pond to pull the water in. I know nothing about though subject though so other options may be available. Let's talk.

There is a ton or variables. With a few pics i could help you out maybe a little better. Yes digging a pond could help somewhat but you have to lower water tables. Just putting all surface water into one area might not help out with the water table being very high. I'm guessing your talking about wetlands? It all depends on what you want to do.. Food plot, plant trees, building site. Best answer i can give you is to put drainage tile in it but you have to be careful with wet lands and the dnr army core. I will help as much as i possibly can.

Came from the the QDMA forums.Hunt all over Wisconsin. Rusk, Trempeauleau, Taylor, Marathon, Waupaca, and now Outagamie counties. Own property in 2 of the 6 counties. I just want to see if Bullwinkle ever shoots a buck over 150 lol..

Now that's funny cheese curd.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Came from the the QDMA forums.Hunt all over Wisconsin. Rusk, Trempeauleau, Taylor, Marathon, Waupaca, and now Outagamie counties. Own property in 2 of the 6 counties. I just want to see if Bullwinkle ever shoots a buck over 150 lol..
How will we ever know?

I will keep a close eye on him. I may even guide him to one.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Been lurking on food plot forums for a while. When the QDMA forums shut down I found this one. Time to join a food plot forum I guess. I am kind of excited about this fall as I finally have a spot where I can do a plot deep in the timber. Due to some logging on a farm I own, a nice opportunity has opened up (literally) to put in a nice 100'x100' food plot with logging roads leading into it. Lime is down, the first round of fertilizer is down, and the canopy is opened up. Intending to disc it up in a couple of weeks and plant some oats, rape, turnips, and chicory. Hang a stand and keep my fingers crossed for some rain. I don't have huge expectations the first year, but it should be a good little plot to experiment with over the coming years.

Derek. Steuben County in northeast Indiana. I am a bow hunter with two daughters that are ate up with bow hunting as well.

Welcome DEC, some other IN guys on here as well. J-bird is a Hoosier and always has good thoughts.

Hi all, I live in the Chippewa Valley of West Central WI.

Work as a Construction Project Manager and am lucky to have time off, no kids (yet), 160 acres of family farm close and plenty of energy.

The farm was a dairy farm until the late 80's when my Great Grandfather passed away and a trust was formed. This property has been in my immediate family since shortly after WWII and now it is up to my Uncle and I to carry on the tradition; only a little differently. I am working on converting 30+ acres of old pasture to a wildlife haven. Living less than a half hour away makes weekly trips easy. I started "Landscaping for Whitetails" almost 10 years ago when I took the role of Property Manager and have enjoyed the process. I hope to not only find information here but contribute as well. I feel I have made most the mistakes possible but I continually find room for improvement. The addiction is real but a healthy one, that's what I tell my girlfriend anyway...
Look for a Property Tour started in the near future and thanks for the great forum!

P.S. That was a lot of "I" statements but this was about me right? Nice to meet all you like minded folks anyway.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Hi all, I live in the Chippewa Valley of West Central WI.

Work as a Construction Project Manager and am lucky to have time off, no kids (yet), 160 acres of family farm close and plenty of energy.

The farm was a dairy farm until the late 80's when my Great Grandfather passed away and a trust was formed. This property has been in my immediate family since shortly after WWII and now it is up to my Uncle and I to carry on the tradition; only a little differently. I am working on converting 30+ acres of old pasture to a wildlife haven. Living less than a half hour away makes weekly trips easy. I started "Landscaping for Whitetails" almost 10 years ago when I took the role of Property Manager and have enjoyed the process. I hope to not only find information here but contribute as well. I feel I have made most the mistakes possible but I continually find room for improvement. The addiction is real but a healthy one, that's what I tell my girlfriend anyway...
Look for a Property Tour started in the near future and thanks for the great forum!

P.S. That was a lot of "I" statements but this was about me right? Nice to meet all you like minded folks anyway.
We must be neighbors. I live about 10 miles north of Chippewa.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We must be neighbors. I live about 10 miles north of Chippewa.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We are close John, I live in E.C. The farm is in that one county to the south that everyone thinks has a 150"+ behind every tree...

Glad I don't have the rocks that you do though!

Hi everyone,
I found this place when I realized the "other forum" was closed.
At this point, I am only here to gain knowledge, I probably won't contribute much as I'm a newbie to all of this.
I purchased and 80 acre parcel in north central MN about a year ago. I have a strong desire to make major improvements to it, but first need to gain more knowledge on all aspects of habitat before I jump right in, and do something foolish.
I really appreciate the way all of you share your knowledge so willingly, and I love to see the progress everyone is making!!
Jake

Hi everyone,
I found this place when I realized the "other forum" was closed.
At this point, I am only here to gain knowledge, I probably won't contribute much as I'm a newbie to all of this.
I purchased and 80 acre parcel in north central MN about a year ago. I have a strong desire to make major improvements to it, but first need to gain more knowledge on all aspects of habitat before I jump right in, and do something foolish.
I really appreciate the way all of you share your knowledge so willingly, and I love to see the progress everyone is making!!
Jake
Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are likely several members here with land near you.