What's for dinner?

My middle boy open a pint jar of canned venison yesterday afternoon ate some from the jar and put it in the fridg he had a band thing to go to. Latter yesterday evening I grabbed a bottle of juice and managed to nock the jar on the floor 😭broken glass and canned venison ruined. Latter in the evening the middle boy gets back from the school and is looking for his jar of venison😔

Canned venison - a real tasty treat. Looks like H in the jar - but man is it great eating when browned.

Last night I sliced up a shank, filled it with cream cheese/jalapeños, rolled it up, sliced, fried. Really good for a cut we usually grind.
Screenshot_20231126_123611_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123619_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123636_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123643_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123659_Gallery.jpg

Just made country fried steak last night. Sorry no pic, but it got devoured. Have sauerbraten marinating in the fridge until tomorrow. This will be a first so interested to see if it is worth keeping the recipe. Back strap dry aging for next weeks steak salad.

I wet age my backstrap up to a month in the fridge. I can notice a difference in tenderness between eating w/ and w/o the aging.

Have you guys heard of "velveting"? I've been researching ways to get tender meat and came up baking soda as a method.

Have you guys heard of "velveting"? I've been researching ways to get tender meat and came up baking soda as a method.

I just go with the tried and true dry aging. Hang it in the garage for a week or so, and it turns out great. The actual length depends on the temperature. I've hung them for up to 10 days in a cooler, but then humidity needs to be controlled or you can get mold.

We had two other couples over for steak dinner a few weeks ago....just before the MN deer opener. I made three nice beef Rib-eye steaks.....and three Venison Tenderloins. All prepared via the water immersion method (Sous Vide) over a few hours cooking at 125 degrees. Then finished them on our grill. Also had salad, little potatoes, aspargas, shrimp, wine, and more. Also made my famous meat reduction sauce....which was a big hit. All was about as good as it gets....if I do say so myself.

All the steaks were sliced sideways into 1" thick pieces. Everyone tried both kinds of steaks and everyone thought the venison was the better steak.....or at least on par with the rib-eyes. New experience for a few folks. Really a fun night and fantastic meal. Fun!

Edit: Oh yeah....and my wife had a fantastic desert that we all over-indulged on ....before sipping a bit more wine and scotch. I wish I would have taken some pics. Alas.

Last edited:
Never heard of if...
?

We had two other couples over for steak dinner a few weeks ago....just before the MN deer opener. I made three nice beef Rib-eye steaks.....and three Venison Tenderloins. All prepared via the water immersion method (Sous Vide) over a few hours cooking at 125 degrees. Then finished them on our grill. Also had salad, little potatoes, aspargas, shrimp, wine, and more. Also made my famous meat reduction sauce....which was a big hit. All was about as good as it gets....if I do say so myself.

All the steaks were sliced sideways into 1" thick pieces. Everyone tried both kinds of steaks and everyone thought the venison was the better steak.....or at least on par with the rib-eyes. New experience for a few folks. Really a fun night and fantastic meal. Fun!

Edit: Oh yeah....and my wife had a fantastic desert that we all over-indulged on ....before sipping a bit more wine and scotch. I wish I would have taken some pics. Alas.
I really need to try my sous vide this winter on some venison

Gotta add here......a day or two later my wife made a great Cobb Salad (lettuce, onions, cheese, boiled egg, radish, olives, bacon, salad dressing, and a whole lot more....in addition to the protein which may be chicken or beef)....and we have come to really enjoy left-over steak that has been sliced up on these salads. It's become one of my favorite meals.

We had a bit of both the rib eye steaks and venison steak left over from our meal above. On this salad you could definitely tell the beef from the venison steak when these were micorwaved for the salad. The venison was now far more "gamey" tasting than at our previous meal. The beef steak was better in every way. Re-heating is not a strong point for venison steaks....IMO. Not sure it ever has been.

Attempting my 1st deer roast in the crock. Done pepper steak plenty of time. Just winging it. Couldn't find much in the kitchen to add. Guessing it'll turn into shredded sandwiches.

20231205_102037.jpg20231205_111751.jpg

Never heard of if...
?
Supposedly common in Chinese cooking to get thin slices of beef tender. I tried it on a beef roast that I sliced up into strips and steaks last weekend. I "velveted" half of it and did my normal routine to the other half (meat tenderizer/salt/pepper/garlic powder). Cooked them all exactly the same. The velveted meat was certainly more tender than the other half, but it was different in another manner too. Hard to describe. I think it would work great for something completely smothered in sauce, but just fried it was different.

Supposedly common in Chinese cooking to get thin slices of beef tender. I tried it on a beef roast that I sliced up into strips and steaks last weekend. I "velveted" half of it and did my normal routine to the other half (meat tenderizer/salt/pepper/garlic powder). Cooked them all exactly the same. The velveted meat was certainly more tender than the other half, but it was different in another manner too. Hard to describe. I think it would work great for something completely smothered in sauce, but just fried it was different.

I think that is some kind of starch. I have used corn start and potato starch to help make meat tender. Baking soda tends to just puff in hot oil.

I think that is some kind of starch. I have used corn start and potato starch to help make meat tender. Baking soda tends to just puff in hot oil.
I used it as just a tenderizer. It's washed off before cooking and never sees the hot oil