What's for dinner?

My daughter gave me a salt rock to grill on for my birthday some months ago. Just got around to busting it out and putting some heat to it the other night. Beef tender loin. I put a little salt and pepper on this a few hours prior to grilling. It was very good but a little on the salty side, I presume form the rock. I'll hold off on any salt at all for the next go around. A side of brussel sprouts and fresh veggies and dip made and excellent meal for my wife and I. Anyone else cook on a rock??

Attachments

• SaltRock.jpg
    SaltRock.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 33
Never heard of a salt rock. Looks good but that's got to be bad for the old blood pressure.

Have heard of the salt rock, and then cedar plank for salmon, never used them.

Apparently the rock looses some of its salt content over time, understandable. When I cleaned it, per the instructions, it left kind of a shallow pocket on the surface I grilled the steak on. Like the rock wears away over time.
It also had what appeared to be a fairly significant crack on one of the corners when it was given to me. That piece just fell off during cleaning. It's still useable but in two pieces now. It was a thoughtful gift given from the heart from my child. I need try some pork, chicken and fish on it. The fish might not be such a good idea on second thought. At this point, after one use, I'd have to give it a mixed review.....

Did you heat the salt block slowly and use oil?

I think so. I put it on one side of the grill while I turned the other side burner furthest from the rock on low for about 10 minutes. I progressed by turning on the remaining 3 burners on about 5 minutes apart. It sat with all burners on low for another 5 minutes before I pout my meat on. The instructions said a few drops of water should sizzle when ready, which it did. I saw no mention of oil of any kind.

On a semi-related salt cooking note -- quite interesting salt-heavy method for cooking fish that supposedly leaves them very moist without actually making the fish too salty. Never had fish prepared this way but have friends who have and swear they turned out great.

I did a big steelhead in a salt crust, and it was the best trout I ever tasted.

Try cooking very thin strips of venison on the salt block. Get the rock searing hot, then bring to table. Cook thin pieces of venison 30 seconds a side, eat hot off the block one at time. We did this a few years ago with beef at some fancy asian restaurant down in Phoenix. Always wanted a salt block for home.

I made Irish stew with venison last night. It was awesome.

Thawed out a backstrap, marinated in balsamic and teriyaki for a few hours, sliced about 2" thick pan seared in butter. Cooked all sides then butterfly and finish.

nEHdiPJ.jpg

C0hnVmo.jpg

Dinner is Kokanee Salmon I caught in Colorado last summer on vacation. Gonna do them up blackened in a skillet.

4cc3f5d1f45cb0e31f1ec65b61eaa2af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what all that green crap is but that salmon looks great :emoji_wink:

I'd go for any sign of green around here at the moment,
But I was wondering what happened to his beer,

Must be some sort of fancy southern thing...

Venison schnitzel with chanterelle cream sauce tonight.

Post #474 - That "green crap" is a good source of vitamins and F-I-B-R-E. :emoji_thinking:.................................... :emoji_scream:

Long day today and my wife was working. The kids all had plans so I made dinner for two. Grilled sirloin (medium rare), baby portobellos and roasted asparagus, ovens roasted garlic new potatoes, garlic French baguette and 19 Crimes Shiraz. We’re so spoiled.
951BAE9E-A60E-4EA1-BA18-3C28F8845408.jpeg7920EA87-3D6C-467D-B09B-E1F59D243C0D.jpegF476F134-20F4-44C7-907A-2C52BB3A161F.jpeg

We have always butchered our deer at home and then take bulk meat to the local processor if we want any summer sausage done up.
I was dropping off some deer meat late last fall and while I was waiting my turn a couple other hunters there doing the same as me were talking about how great the "deer bacon" was. I had to ask them about it and they highly recommended it, so the next trip over with meat from another deer I took some extra and had about fifteen pounds done into deer bacon to see what the fuss was about.
Apparently they mix the deer meat with a little pork and puree it down then use a meat gun to make it and cure it for a week or so.
I could not believe how good it turned out and tasted, kind of a cross between regular bacon and jerky but with a softer texture. My wife flat out loves it so it will be an annual thing from now on like the Jalapeño and extra cheese summer sausage.
So I have more of a what's for breakfast on this one.

QipmU06.jpg

HHFK7rm.jpg

Last edited: