What's for dinner?

I love fish chowder!!!!!!

Another chowder. This one made with walleye from where we vacation in MN, Cass Lake. Seems like every year I'll come across a bag of fillets that were overlooked in the freezer from two years ago. So chowder on a cold winter day has become a tradition. The vast majority all get fried (no heresy!). This was a few days ago. Complete with the plastic Cass wine glasses and pottery made up by Bemidji somewhere.

View attachment 16594

Care to share how you make it, love different chowders. But had a bad fish chowder someone made one time/first time an it kinda ruined it for me. Wiling to give it another try.

I basically use this recipe. Pretty simple. Mine has more fish in it, and they need more than the 6 minutes of cooking in the pot that it calls for at the tail end. I also tried adding greater amounts of creme in place of milk, and next time I'll be heading back towards the higher milk ratio.

http://www.gourmethousewife.com/2011/07/walleye-chowder/

Thanks Mortenson. I'm definitely going to give this a try.

I basically use this recipe. Pretty simple. Mine has more fish in it, and they need more than the 6 minutes of cooking in the pot that it calls for at the tail end. I also tried adding greater amounts of creme in place of milk, and next time I'll be heading back towards the higher milk ratio.

http://www.gourmethousewife.com/2011/07/walleye-chowder/

That looks good! Next time try a pinch of dill weed in it. Not enough to overpower it, just a pinch, 1/4 tsp.
I throw it in my clam chowder once in while and it adds, ? Well Something.

Thz Mort, gunna try it tonight. With a few tweaks
Don't have any celery so might sub in a bit of celery seed.
And no fresh parsley, so might sub in a handful of portabella mushrooms an a little sweat corn.
Also contemplating leaving out the bacon, cause all I have is deer bacon, not sure that would pair well.
Have Dill, might have to try a pinch Bill.

Thz Mort, gunna try it tonight.

I was all excited to try it tonight too, but the boss reminded me we have other plans. But I'm going to make it this week!

-John

Update: made walleye chowder last night, very good, will be making again.

On thing of note, I may have overcooked the fish a tad, believe it was in 9-10 min, so it was falling apart just a little bit.
Kind of preferred the pieces that had little more of a firm texture.
Any suggestion or remedies to that issue?

Also, would of been better if I sautéed the mushrooms with the onion an jalapeno at the start, and addend more onion than I did (1/4 of a white)
And would defiantly use red potatoes instead of white if I had them on hand.
Plus fresh sweet corn off the cob instead of frozen. Would have added more of that sweet chowder flavor I was looking for.

Haha good deal guys. Thanks for the improvements suggestions. Sorry to hear I gave bad advice about the fish cooking time. I wonder if perhaps I cut bigger chunks than you? Or maybe I keep the stove a little lower? I'm always anal about not trying to burn the bottom of the pots.

When I do clam chowder I always sautee the onions and celery in the bacon grease first :)

Didn't look again but I think her recipe called for adding the bacon right away. With clams I add them late in the process so thier not over cooked and I always add the cooked bacon back in when I'm done cooking. Other wise it turns to mush.

Haha good deal guys. Thanks for the improvements suggestions. Sorry to hear I gave bad advice about the fish cooking time. I wonder if perhaps I cut bigger chunks than you? Or maybe I keep the stove a little lower? I'm always anal about not trying to burn the bottom of the pots.

No fault of yours. I always seem to over cook fish just a tad. Cause I once had under done fried fish (No including Sushi) as the chunks were cut to large. Talk about a bite of nasty, undercooked pike chucks that still had raw flesh in the center. Not what you are expecting when you bite into a piece of beer battered fish.
Disclaimer: I was not the one cooking

And the improvements where only suggested cause I was cooking with only what I had on hand. Realized the changes I would have made after eating.

Cooked the last of our dove breasts yesterday, marinated a couple days in zesty Italian, small dollop of cream cheese, jalapeño slices, half cooked bacon wrapped some quality grill time and it was on....can't wait for Sept 1st to roll around for more of these!

Af0csC4.jpg

H20 that looks amazing. So do you have a little plot of sunflowers at your farm? We don't have good dove hunting. Years ago we tried planting a couple acres with a 955 Cyclo. Dumped the seed in the drums, started planting, and ran out of seed after a hundred feet. Epic fail. Your dinner makes me want to try again harder.

Wow that looks good!

H20 that looks amazing. So do you have a little plot of sunflowers at your farm? We don't have good dove hunting. Years ago we tried planting a couple acres with a 955 Cyclo. Dumped the seed in the drums, started planting, and ran out of seed after a hundred feet. Epic fail. Your dinner makes me want to try again harder.

We normally hunt wheat stubble, disked stubble is even better. The only time we have a lot of doves at the farm is later in the fall and by then we don't want to spook the deer at all. September and early October is when we hunt doves the most, we find spots by driving around early and late in day looking for them in fields or rowed up on telephone lines then knock on doors.

Fish sausage.

Attachments

• 20180210_221524.jpg
    20180210_221524.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180210_224241.jpg
    20180210_224241.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180210_225528.jpg
    20180210_225528.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180210_234115.jpg
    20180210_234115.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180210_234749.jpg
    20180210_234749.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 16
Fish sausage.

That sounds like something you need to grow up on. :). Probably very good but something I'd raise an eyebrow at because I've never heard of it.

You never had a fish burger, Bill? Same concept.

Fish sausage and burger.....now that is a new one to me. What kind of fish do you use?
Is fish burger like salmon patties?

I guess you just never know... we smoked some channel cat fillets a few years ago and it turned out almost like smoked salmon.

Did a salmon comparison yesterday after marinating a steelhead and sockeye fillet in Italian dressing for a day.

Ready for the grill;

ewHNZdI.jpg

The steelhead won the taste test at our house;

K9FS8qh.jpg