All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of oak is this?

TxA&M

Yearling... With promise
image_zpsnpeendpp.jpg
image_zpspt0q9ggr.jpg

I have narrowed it to bur or overcup any one thoughts?

Looks like some sort of a bur to me.

Didn't realize the photo of the acorn was poor I'll take another and post it.

Id say burr.

I'd say leaves look burr also but another good clue is to check for corky raised ridges on the twigs and small branches.

Last edited:
Looks like a Bur x Swamp to me. They usually have acorns around 60% - 70% the size of the Bur Oak. As mentioned the corky raised bark is another giveaway and it should be a little less pronounced if it is a Swamp x Bur cross. Starting to see quite a few of these showing up in parking lots.

I vote bur.

Has burr traits, but the acorn doesn't appear big enough, and the leaves look a bit off. The leaves look very similar to what I asked about earlier and I was told it was a Schuettes. I asked because it wasn't a classic SWO or Bur as I was used to seeing. I would be interested to see if the acorn actually had a stem - that is a trait of SWO or Schuettes (SWO & Bur cross), a bur oak will have the acorns right on the branch so to speak. Just my 2 cents worth.