All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weather

Well the prelude finished up here. Got about 1.5" of rain, followed by 1/4" of ice, and a couple inches of snow. All with 30 mph winds. Snow will begin again shortly with 14" forecast by monday morning.

There was zero snow yesterday. Here's what it looks like now. It's still coming down here in the South Metro Twin Cities. A relative reports 17" at their place in Brookings SD.
spring snow.jpg

1F8C9F07-8276-4AD0-B678-F7AA73B1B26B.png

I can tell you this. No matter how much snow you get when it is driven by 40-60mph wind for hours on end it way toooooo *^&%^$ much!! Bare in some areas here and 4' drifts in all the wrong places.

Around home in southern MN, it didnt start until about 9 am today, we have about 8 inches so far, and possibly another 10 inches by tomorrow night. My cabin has been down graded to 6-12" depending on whos forecast you are looking at. A sustained 20 mph wind, with 45 mph gusts makes it rather bad. They have closed most roads by me, and almost all stores are closed.

Great this just popped up on my phone as I’m getting ready to work my 7-7 patrol shift. 430FA145-42C4-4AFA-9709-3A95D2CBAFF2.png

Forty degree temp drop here in the last 24 hours....crap.

Hope you have 4wd. How do you like 12's?
No 4wd. My current squad is a chev impala front wheel drive but it usually gets thru the city ok. We are replacing them with suv’s But they are not in yet. I love the 12’s. I’m off half the days of the year. When we worked 8’s it was a 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off rotation so you would go months working every weekend. Now I’m off every other weekend.

No 4wd. My current squad is a chev impala front wheel drive but it usually gets thru the city ok. We are replacing them with suv’s But they are not in yet. I love the 12’s. I’m off half the days of the year. When we worked 8’s it was a 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off rotation so you would go months working every weekend. Now I’m off every other weekend.
I'm familiar with 5-2 5-3's and not a fan for the exact same reason you mention. We currently run 6-2's with 3 off every 5th and 6th weeks but 12's may be in our near future. Stay safe out there.

Holy sheet I’m glad I’m in California on business. I don’t think I have ever seen a report for snow like that.

I survived my blizzard shift. The roads got pretty bad and people were stuck all over. Most were just idiots who think they need to floor it to get unstuck. I never got stuck but pushed quite a few on their ways. That was in between our usual flow of domestics, bar fights, crashes, robbery ect. Now to grab some z’s before heading back in this afternoon for a 16 hr shift.

We’re supposed to get a hard frost here in Missouri tonight. Data shows the last frost in east central Missouri is historically April 15th. That’s today. Long range forecast shows low temps in the 40s and 50s except for one day (38) over the next two weeks. This should be our last frost. I’m a little concerned about my new pear trees since they were leafed out already at planting on the 17th of March. They’re in tree tubes so hopefully that offers some protection. Not much I can do about it now though. Just have to wait and see.

Interesting difference from last year. Spring turkey season opens tomorrow. This time last year my cereal rye from the fall was 18-24 inches tall. This year it’s still only 2 inches high. Of course last year we had 60s and 70s all February and March. This year it’s been cold and Overcast more than normal.

It just shows how we can plan and prepare all we want but the weather’s gonna do it’s own thing in its own time.

Last edited:
"It just shows how we can plan and prepare all we want but the weather’s gonna do it’s own thing in its own time." -- She always bats last!

Feel bad for all the Northerners dealing with this storm and long, drawn out winter. Hope things turn around soon. I saw a weather warning from a guy somewhere west in the plains that had a burn warning and a blizzard warning on the same day.

It was in the 20s when I left for work today. Gonna be 80 Tuesday

I saw a weather warning from a guy somewhere west in the plains that had a burn warning and a blizzard warning on the same day.
Just par for course for my area..... unfortunately.

I've worked the swing for over twenty years, I agree it's almost like being semi retired working half the days of year (lots of time off to hunt). I have every other weekend off too, but we swap days-nights every two weeks. I would rather just work nights all the time.

Looks like an extended warm front coming through here mid week, 50's-60's.

Welp, looks like the worst of it is over for now. Here in GB the weather channel is saying we got 23.5"of snow and i absolutely believe it. Multiple colapsed roofs on businesses all over town and drifts taller then my truck when i went for a drive this afternoon. Highest deer density area in the state (waupaca county) got pounded as well with around 2 feet. Going to be really hard on the deer heard this late in the winter when they have been yarded up since december in the cedar swamps and no food left. Hope it melts fast...

So how much snow did everyone end up with?

About 18" in Burnsville MN