Trapping Your Land.

I don't trap, but did just shoot a yote on my carcass pile at 215 yards this morning out of the Aqua stand! And will continue all winter killing them.
Mo, do you have to stake the carcasses down? Ours dissappear overnight when I just lay them out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If it can drag away a 250lb calf I let them have it! LOL
They will eat it to bones, drag it to the nearest cover, and then dismantle it overnight on our place (even a dead summer steer). Once dismantled it get drug every direction. Disapointing to see your "bait" leave so quickly.

I haven't caught one is a trap this week, but I did shoot one in the front yard.

They will eat it to bones, drag it to the nearest cover, and then dismantle it overnight on our place (even a dead summer steer). Once dismantled it get drug every direction. Disapointing to see your "bait" leave so quickly.

I haven't caught one is a trap this week, but I did shoot one in the front yard.

They have a lot of chewing to do on a frozen carcass! Hope I catch more of them chewing! LOL

How ya liking that ruger mo? Those things are still in high demand since being released.

How ya liking that ruger mo? Those things are still in high demand since being released.

Love it! Can shoot a quarter at 100 yards, 1/2 dollar at 200 and a dollar bill at 500. For an old shaky bastard like me, thats pretty good! But the scope is everything to that gun!

Just got back from hanging about 3 dozen snares for coyotes. We will see what the week brings! If I catch anything I will make a little snaring thread...... dont want to put the cart before the horse. If I dont catch anything you guys will think that guy doesnt know how to snare a yote!!

Just got back from hanging about 3 dozen snares for coyotes. We will see what the week brings! If I catch anything I will make a little snaring thread...... dont want to put the cart before the horse. If I dont catch anything you guys will think that guy doesnt know how to snare a yote!!
Wish we could snare above water in Mo!

Wow. It appears Jordan is correct after a quick glance of the MO regs. I would have never thought that would be the case in MO. It pains me to say this but strike one against MO if I ever decide to move out of state. Sadly about 10-20 yrs ago there was a strong push by the animal rights people to attack trapping, a group was commissioned by the state game and fish depts to test all traps and trapping procedures to find the most "humane" trapping methods. It started out well, but then became a liberal political nightmare. If I remember correctly the MO furbearer biologist was pretty high up in the that commission. If I remember correctly the MO furbearer biologist rubber stamped every decision the commission came to.

Jordan,
I think you're misreading the regs. I believe killing snares and power snares are not legal. Cable restraints with a stopping mechanism are legal. The cable stop keeps the restraint from closing tighter than a 2 1/2 inch circle so a deer can get its foot out.

I think someone figured out that using semantics was an excellent way to confuse the do gooders. A cable restraint looks and acts like a snare in every way except it doesn't choke an animal to death. It's more fun, you get to shoot the yote yourself!

Missouri even has a class to teach you how to do it.
https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/downloads/4157_6377.pdf

So go get your snares ready. Um, I mean cable restraints.

Jordan,
I think you're misreading the regs. I believe killing snares and power snares are not legal. Cable restraints with a stopping mechanism are legal. The cable stop keeps the restraint from closing tighter than a 2 1/2 inch circle so a deer can get its foot out.

I think someone figured out that using semantics was an excellent way to confuse the do gooders. A cable restraint looks and acts like a snare in every way except it doesn't choke an animal to death. It's more fun, you get to shoot the yote yourself!

You know if it Has always been this way bill? I was under the impression I was doing it illegally as a youngster lol.

You know if it Has always been this way bill? I was under the impression I was doing it illegally as a youngster lol.

That I'm not sure about. Maybe as a kid you were doing wrong but in the 10 years I've been there snares with stops have been legal.

Jordan,

Bill could be right. I only looked at a condensed version of trapping laws, looked like it was from the MDC site. I thought it was odd that it said you could only use snares under water and they needed a stop at 2.5", since that is a common regulation in a few states as was mentioned to keep the loop from closing on a deer's foot. Maybe there are alot of swimming deer in MO.

I did some more in depth reading. Bill is right. To appease the animal huggers, MO has snares and "cable restraints". Cable restraints can only be used on land. You have to take a class to use them and they are still extremely restrictive on their design and use. Well not quite as bad as banning them out right but pretty damn close. When I set snares I do everything I can to try and make sure the coyote or bobcat is dead shortly after it is caught. No reason for it to damage its fur or possibly escape.

I will start setting dukes out for coons next week,I did take my daughters coyote calling new years eve and my oldest shot her first coyote

image.jpeg

I guess I can still getr' done! All snared. Got my daughter who is home from college to ride shotgun this morning (couldn't get her out of the pickup for long though as it was 11 degrees with a 30mph breeze), maybe she is just my good luck charm! Can't believe the coons were moving that much as cold as it was last night. Plugged up my coyote and cat snares! That 1 coon is a dandy though too bad he might not even bring a 10 dollar bill in today's market. I will post up some more detailed photos of a typical snare setup this week, it was a little brisk this morning and we had obligations for dinner.

Damn TC, can I go with next time? Looks like fun! LOL

Damn TC, can I go with next time? Looks like fun! LOL
Sure come on up! I swap you a deer hunt for a few days killin coyotes any time!

View attachment 11931

I guess I can still getr' done! All snared. Got my daughter who is home from college to ride shotgun this morning (couldn't get her out of the pickup for long though as it was 11 degrees with a 30mph breeze), maybe she is just my good luck charm! Can't believe the coons were moving that much as cold as it was last night. Plugged up my coyote and cat snares! That 1 coon is a dandy though too bad he might not even bring a 10 dollar bill in today's market. I will post up some more detailed photos of a typical snare setup this week, it was a little brisk this morning and we had obligations for dinner.

Sweet!