Thoughts on GRIN orders

Any one received their pear scions yet? I have both pear and apple ordered. I received notification of shipment today...but GRIN website says my pears are "pending" and apples "reviewing"...sure hope they're the apples coming. I'm much less concerned about they pears.

Any one received their pear scions yet? I have both pear and apple ordered. I received notification of shipment today...but GRIN website says my pears are "pending" and apples "reviewing"...sure hope they're the apples coming. I'm much less concerned about they pears.

Depending on when you placed your order, they may just be behind in updating the web site. I ordered my apple scions in early September and the status was reviewing until Dawn created the order in the system in November. The order I placed last year was not marked shipped or done until March even though I received it in February. I think they update the system in batches when they are not busy filling orders or doing something else. Unless you placed your order after the deadline, I wouldn't get too worried yet.

I received my GRIN order today. I had 4 varieties on my order and received two 10-12” cuttings of each. Of each pair one was a little larger with a butt end about 1/4” and the other maybe 3/16”.
Last year was my first attempt at some cleft grafts on established trees and I managed good results with stock that wasn’t as nice as what I received from GRIN. I’m confident I’ll get a few viable trees when I try bench grafting this year with this stock.
I sealed the scion ends with a quick dip in some beeswax just warm enough to be liquid, not enough that it hurt to get it on my finger. After that I put them in moist paper towel and a zipper sealed bag with all the air pushed out to rest in the refrigerator until my rootstocks arrive.

Just received my shipping notification, I ordered on December 21st.

giphy.gif

Received mine and waxed the ends.
96c808d6a800404fafc30cc54bcf7de4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this starting to break bud?
b1a1c0160c1f8b1474b05607d665391a.jpg

Sandbur, that one is swelling for sure. I was able to hold some scions for a quite awhile at that stage last year in the refrigerator and they did fine for me.

I probably won’t be grafting for two months. I wonder if that is why they sent me Jonsib scion from two locations. The other is not showing as much bud swell.

I probably won’t be grafting for two months. I wonder if that is why they sent me Jonsib scion from two locations. The other is not showing as much bud swell.

Lucky you got it. It was the only variety they told me to reorder.

Some people are receiving this email: "Our annual deadline for requesting dormant budwood of apple and tart cherry is January 10. Due to the federal government shutdown and weather conditions, we are not able to fulfill all your request at this time. If you are interested in the 2019 summer budwood, please notify Ms. Dawn Dellefave. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I ordered on Jan 6 and I got an email asking for an address other than my P.O. Box from Dawn. I sent it back and asked if it was good and she said yes. Still haven’t received shipment notice or scions just FYI

Paul I just seen someone on NAFEX post this morning they just got their shipping notice so I'd say you'll get it yet.

ask.jpg

FYI I tried to sneak an order in on January 30th and received an email yesterday reminding me that the deadline was Jan 10, and due to the government shutdown and weather they are unable to fulfill my request.

I just got mine and just waxed the cut ends. I love free stuff from government lolAF3F68A5-4429-4C71-8C9F-568DD4F2F526.jpeg

Seems that 6 out of the 7 varieties have good diameter so I am pleased E11ABC78-5413-4C9F-8C92-0969B4EB7119.jpeg

I submitted my first GRIN order a couple weeks ago. Can anyone give me some insight as to how the approval process works? Will I get an email letting me know if my request was approved / denied? I know grafting season a long ways off but I’m just trying to plan ahead a bit.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten “approval” just a confirmation email of submission. They just show up at some point during the late winter, often preceded by a UPS shipping notification only.