Thoughts on GRIN orders

I have never not received an email confirming what I have requested from GRIN.

I got my email request confirmation on December 21st but I don't know if we should expect their scions this year to ship.

I got my email request confirmation on December 21st but I don't know if we should expect their scions this year to ship.

I hear you, I have 100 rootstocks coming. Wonder if I should make alternate scion plans.

I hear you, I have 100 rootstocks coming. Wonder if I should make alternate scion plans.

Well, I've started to hedge my bets. I collected some scions from my existing trees to start my winter indoor grafting project: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/winter-bench-grafting-experiment-2019.10452/. I'm also trading some scions. This will be enough to get my project underway, but certainly not enough for me to finish grafting my rootstock. In previous years, I got an email around this time from UPS saying I was getting a package. I have not received that email and I have not heard of others getting scions from GRIN yet. If no one hears in another week, I think we can safely assume that collection and shipping of scions requires government employees, not just contractors and they probably won't begin until the shutdown is resolved.

I may not get the specific varieties I had hoped for, but I don't think I'll have any problems getting all my rootstock grafted. There are lots of guys on here that have apple trees and I'm sure would be willing to send scions (some have already offered). Buying them is another option. They typically run a couple bucks per stick and there are places that will take orders into Feb at least. If push comes to shove, I'll take the grafting class at the local orchard again. I enjoyed when I first took it and they let us take the extra scions after the class.

So, I figure I have time to hold out a bit longer for GRIN. Since my order is already in at GRIN and I usually receive scions in mid-Jan and lots of folks would have otherwise been taking leave over the holidays, I think effectively USDA has only lost a week or so. It is still quite possible if the adults prevail, that the government could re-open in time for GRIN to get us scions by normal grafting time.

To be prudent, I'm make sure you have a backup plan...

Thanks,

jack

Gunfun, the one I see on your list that I have skipped is Macoun and that is because of scab susceptibility. If you are going to spray fungicide, not a big deal. And while deer will surely eat scabby apples, having a tree with bad scab means there will be lots of fungus spores around to attack your other trees.
I have 6 Macoun trees and I spray a few fungicides and have amazing apples and they have produced every year since first fruit set. They are an awesome apple and the deer love them too lol

I tried placing a small order (3 types) yesterday. I know they say 1/10 is the cutoff, but it also says in bold right now that "Funding has been restored. This USDA website is fully functional and requests for germplasm can be entered." Guess we'll see what happens.

I placed my order in September and Dawn entered it into the system in November. I received my notice my order was shipped today!

I tried placing a small order (3 types) yesterday. I know they say 1/10 is the cutoff, but it also says in bold right now that "Funding has been restored. This USDA website is fully functional and requests for germplasm can be entered." Guess we'll see what happens.

Things may be different this year because of the shutdown, but in the past when I missed the deadline, I got an email from Dawn asking if I wanted bud wood or if I wanted to wait for the next year's dormant wood.

My wife just had her knee scoped and I'm on caretaker duty for a couple days. I'm anxiously awaiting my GRIN scions that are supposed to be delivered today. With little else to do between fetching things for her, I'm using the "Follow My Delivery" page that UPS now has. You can see on the map where the truck is at any given time. I'm hoping to start my GRIN grafting later this afternoon or this evening!

Received my tracking number today, estimated for Tuesday...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My box was sitting outside the door this evening!
Mine arrived early evening as well, but I was too tired to start grafting. Tomorrow is the day!

I got an email this morning stating my scions are being shipped. I was confused at first why I was getting an email from UPS.

Yeah that is how they notify you.
I got my email today, scions will be here tomorrow.
The future starts now!!!

Not looking good for those of us who submitted after Jan. 10. Certain other programs within the USDA have extended deadlines, so I thought GRIN might also. Guess I can call it FROWN this year. :(