Thoughts on GRIN orders

My GRIN order actually got denied last week. I had put "Evaluate wildlife usage with minimal tree care after establishment" as the purpose of my research. Less than 10 minutes later I got a response stating "Thanks for your interest in our plants. We are only able to support research, breeding, and industry requests. Several cultivars you requested are commercially available. At this time, we ask that you seek alternative sources for your material."

So I guess I'll be begging and pleading for scions from members here instead.

My GRIN order actually got denied last week. I had put "Evaluate wildlife usage with minimal tree care after establishment" as the purpose of my research. Less than 10 minutes later I got a response stating "Thanks for your interest in our plants. We are only able to support research, breeding, and industry requests. Several cultivars you requested are commercially available. At this time, we ask that you seek alternative sources for your material."

I'm not sure if I'll be placing an order this year or not. In previous years, I focused on education. I teach hunter education and I like to take kids out that are interested in the outdoors. I'd do grafting demonstrations and such. When I take kids out to hunt, some remember the trees what we grafted. I described this and they were very gracious in providing scions. I tried not to order varieties that I could easily buy commercially. They are only a few bucks per stick commercially. I prefer the commercial sticks anyway. Often scions I get from GRIN are pretty small in diameter making grafting more of a challenge.

Thanks for info guys, I haven’t gotten a denial email yet so I guess that’s a good sign. I’ll wait and see what happens.

Plenty of places to order scions from for a few bucks each as well.

Plenty of folks on here willing to send you scion as well, I send some out every year to forum members.

My grin requests have always featured a statement indicating evaluating disease resistance including to fireblight of the requested accessions in usda zone 6 on the following rootstocks....., or something like that. They have honored all of my prior requests.

This is or similar is what I put for research, ordered 3 times with no issues. " Evaluating suitability in low maintenance /care environment for wildlife plantings. Will be considering vigor, growth habit, disease resistance, fruit drop time, and wildlife preference. Will report findings on site, habitat-talk.com"

I hope I didn't come across with a "poor me" attitude, that wasn't my intent. Just wanted to share that it's not a guarantee GRIN will work out. It looks like I could have been more thorough and eloquent with my research statement, maybe next year I'll give it another shot.

And yes folks here are certainly generous with sharing their scions. Good suggestion on purchasing some also, certainly not a bad thing to support the growers who offer it for sale.