Theft thoughts?

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Had our first stand stolen.. We had an attempted break in on our shipping container this spring, otherwise been trouble free until today.... Went out extra early to find that my stand was stolen (nice XOP with steps, bow hanger, life line etc)... I thought I forgot where it was... but went back in the light to confirm it was gone. Not the start to the hunt that I wanted. My best guess is that someone driving along the road was shining and saw the reflective line on the safety line and helped themselves...

So here is my question... Do I hang a dummy stand with extra reflection and setup cameras all over? Or do I learn not to have reflective line showing from the road and move on knowing it was likely just an opportunistic scummy teenager (hopefully). Hard to not want revenge right now.

I'll file a report (while I don't think anything will come of it)...

Regardless, I'll have cameras around the property that can pickup regular movement if they decide to target my property....

Anything that can be seen from the road is going to be tempting for the meth heads and other scum bags.

How close are you to Boyceville? Lots of punks there :)

Have one stand 75ft off the road in a cottonwood along a slough edge. Can't miss the dang thing hanging there as you drive past. Thing is it's the only tree available to hang in so that is where I need to be.

Best solution I came up with was the 1in diameter cable bike lock with rubber coating.
If they get the sticks oh well. Not as bad as losing the millennium.

Hasn't been stole yet...
Nocking on wood as I hit post.

Have one stand 75ft off the road in a cottonwood along a slough edge. Can't miss the dang thing hanging there as you drive past. Thing is it's the only tree available to hang in so that is where I need to be.

Best solution I came up with was the 1in diameter cable bike lock with rubber coating.

Hasn't been stole yet...

Take the sticks with you when you leave. If you make the hang on stand to secure, they will most likely end up damaging when they try to steal it.

How close are you to Boyceville? Lots of punks there :)

Few miles away... Halfway between Boyceville and Connorsville

Hasn't been stole yet...

Take the sticks with you when you leave. If you make the hang on stand to secure, they will most likely end up damaging when they try to steal it.
Use a couple pegs or screw in steps pull the bottom 4 out when you leave at least make them work for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^^^^that is what I would do. I would simply use a different type of step or the like to make accessing the rest of the stand very difficult. Remove steps, take the lower section with you...whatever. They can't steal what they can't reach.

I'm too lazy to do that. I love walking up and having everything set...... I'll take my chances I guess + a lot of hidden camera and will hope for the best!

Take the sticks with you when you leave. If you make the hang on stand to secure, they will most likely end up damaging when they try to steal it.[/QUO

Hasn't been stole yet...
Gotta love a millennium! Have had 3 ladder stands stolen, but not that one. May start with the bike cables

A bike type lock certainly would not hurt and they are pretty cheap. It's sad that a guy would have to do that on his own land but there are the times we live in.

Chuck

My millenium stand is chain on. You can put a small lock through it, then they will need bolt cutters.

I hate a thief. I would go way out of my way to catch him. Multiple cameras along with a couple dummy cams to get there attention.
One of favorite accomplishments was sending a thief to prison with security cameras I set out when some expensive gas powered tools started disappearing at my shop in town. The thief offered to get my tools back if he could go free. I said no way, hang em high, I'll buy new equipment.

My strategy is to only use climbing sticks. My reason being is it helps prevent thefts, trespassers , and saves me money only have to buy one set. I also try to only have positive thoughts when it comes to my hunting land no matter how horrible the situation is. ( don t let them get you twice )I feel sad for people who weren't raised right.