reguarding Rits #1354 post, Do you think you need to add more Rye? I would think that the existing rye you just mowed would be good enough. I would be concerned about it taking over the brassica plot if you plant to much. I have had it happen with throw and mow brassica into rye without adding any more rye. That is part of the reason for my crimper build. I am hoping that the germination rate of my rolled down rate is delayed because of the seed not being strewn all over by the mower.

reguarding Rits #1354 post, Do you think you need to add more Rye? I would think that the existing rye you just mowed would be good enough. I would be concerned about it taking over the brassica plot if you plant to much. I have had it happen with throw and mow brassica into rye without adding any more rye. That is part of the reason for my crimper build. I am hoping that the germination rate of my rolled down rate is delayed because of the seed not being strewn all over by the mower.
I probably don’t need to but I want to. I know that some of the WR seeds that I mowed will germinate but 6 weeks of Spring rain did kill a good chunk of last years WR. I have had a tough time with deer feeding on brassicas. They stay in the grains though. It will be 3 weeks from the date I planted the brassicas until I plant the WR and Barley. I should have a fairly good ideal on how the germination went by then for the brassicas and the spilled WR seed. But I also want to plant BW, Sunn Hemp, and whatever else I throw into it in the Spring so I need the bio-mass.

I planted my brassicas July 15th. Is 5 weeks enough growth to over seed with rye on Zone 3b?
Chuck

My 2 cents. Last pic of brassicas looked great. 10 day forecast has rain coming Sunday AM(reliable I know!),, I'd press with the rye before the rain. Allowing 4-6 days germination time should give you fresh growth rye before Labor day.... Then you can relax that weekend, and have a great mix on the food plot. Hope the buckwheat is canopied.

Here is a recent picture of my warm season TNM mix.

dc8fa48846cb5417fe2b9287c8b81413.jpg

Sunflowers just starting to bloom now. I actually like it better than my tilled plot because the sunflowers are about half the height. No milo heading out in either plot though. Hoping that changes here soon. The peas seemed to get shaded out in this mix and didn’t do great. Maybe the deer just ate them all. No idea. Not sure my beans will make much for pods either. Granted, these are more of a forage bean meant for silage purposes but with the thick diverse plot it is getting more use than what I have seen in the past of just stand alone beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had peas in my sunflowers a year ago. On the plot that they left the flowers alone, they waded through and tore up all of the peas. Some plots they got the flowers as well.

My first round of throw and mow. This particular area had very little thatch due to poor soil and not much growing there other than low quality browse. This area used to hold cattle so lots of ironweed and marestail has taken hold.

That said, I’m actually pretty impressed with what I’m seeing so far. The mix included medium red clover, PPT, GFR, DER, Canadian Field Peas, Oats/Rye, and some sunflowers for fun.

I was surprised to see a good amount of the peas get radicals into the ground and begin shooting some green. My local seed company had them at less than half the price of AWP, and since I was just broadcasting I decided to give it a try.

Attachments

• AD65AA83-6B4A-4FDE-934C-F663C21CCF03.jpeg
    AD65AA83-6B4A-4FDE-934C-F663C21CCF03.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 59
  • C5C8A15D-0FCF-41DB-9E5C-35734C7AB4F0.jpeg
    C5C8A15D-0FCF-41DB-9E5C-35734C7AB4F0.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 9DD2C998-712B-4B54-9173-B2E179A1A096.jpeg
    9DD2C998-712B-4B54-9173-B2E179A1A096.jpeg
    775.7 KB · Views: 56
Looks good Milkweed.

I did my first go round with it last year on some pretty sketchy thatch. Granted we had probably the best fall growing season in recent memory, but they came up really well.

We made sure we have more thatch this year, and have had timely rains to get them up and on their feet. 6 days in I had 3-4" tall triticale. Was pretty pumped about that.

Got my Rye down last weekend too along with some red clover. The we got 3/4" of rain so I finally timed it right. Supposed to get more rain today which will help too. Brassicas look good and I'm getting some bulb development on the turnips and radishes.

Chuck

Looks good Milkweed.

I did my first go round with it last year on some pretty sketchy thatch. Granted we had probably the best fall growing season in recent memory, but they came up really well.

We made sure we have more thatch this year, and have had timely rains to get them up and on their feet. 6 days in I had 3-4" tall triticale. Was pretty pumped about that.

Nice! I’m hoping to get Buckwheat and Sunflowers down on this Plot next year in early summer to make sure I have better thatch to begin with.

Nice! I’m hoping to get Buckwheat and Sunflowers down on this Plot next year in early summer to make sure I have better thatch to begin with.
Consider Winter Rye in about 4 or 5 weeks which will give you early green stuff in the spring and a lot of thatch mid summer.

Chuck

I'm up in Northern MN, zone 3a, Koochiching County. My soil is not good, but improving. I started with a PH of 5.2, and "very low" in everything it measured. This is my third year on this plot. The first year, I just planted WR and poured 300LB/acre fo 19-19-19. The second year, started with the pell lime, etc.... Late Spring this year I sprayed, spread more lime and gypsum, then broadcast oats, very heavy. I spread ~200LBS an acre of VNS oats from the local Co Op. At the beginning of July the entire 2 acre skinny snake plot looked like this.

oats.jpg

In that same first week of July I sprayed with 1qt/acre gly and AMS then broadcast my brassica mix of PPT, DER, Radish, Kohlrabi, Winfred Brassica along with a few pounds of Fixation Balansa clover. I fertilized to the soil test. I followed up by running the oats over and laying it down on top of the seed. For nearly a month we had very little rain, then the first week of August we started getting some regular rain. This is what it looks like now.

Looking South
plotfacingS.jpg

hat.JPG

This stuff works.

Last edited:
I'm up in Northern MN, zone 3a, Koochiching County. My soil is not good, but improving. I started with a PH of 5.2, and "very low" in everything it measured. This is my third year on this plot. The first year, I just planted WR and poured 300LB/acre fo 19-19-19. The second year, started with the pell lime, etc.... Late Spring this year I sprayed, spread more lime and gypsum, then broadcast oats, very heavy. I spread ~200LBS an acre of VNS oats from the local Co Op. At the beginning of July the entire 2 acre skinny snake plot looked like this.

View attachment 26012

In that same first week of July I sprayed with 1qt/acre gly and AMS then broadcast my brassica mix of PPT, DER, Radish, Kohlrabi, Winfred Brassica along with a few pounds of Fixation Balansa clover. I fertilized to the soil test. I followed up by running the oats over and laying it down on top of the seed. For nearly a month we had very little rain, then the first week of August we started getting some regular rain. This is what it looks like now.

Looking South
View attachment 26013

View attachment 26014

This stuff works.
Looks good!

That's a sweet lookin plot.

Good deal. No mistaken those plants like what you're doing for them. I'd say you're going to have some tremendous hunts on that long snake plot.

If I can do it, with just an ATV, a sprayer, a spreader and some time.... well, anybody can do it. I'm just following directions from friends I've met online.
If you get one more crack at it this fall, spread ladino clover along the edge where the brassicas didn't grow. That should come roaring in come spring.

Thats beautiful!!! Wow, I wonder how long thats going to last in Kooch Co? Youll have every deer in the area while it lasts!!

If you get one more crack at it this fall, spread ladino clover along the edge where the brassicas didn't grow. That should come roaring in come spring.

I doubt I'll get back up there before the October youth hunt with my son. That'll be too late probably to do any seeding. And, I won't be venturing out there stinking the place up. I did spread a pile of WR along those edges before I left for home the other night. We've had rain since. So my fingers are crossed that it'll germinate and grow. As I told you, I poured it on. Birds were on it quick. But I put so much down I hoped to just overwhelm their appetite. Will see in October!

There's a clean edge where things do and don't grow despite my best efforts to add my soil amendments evenly all the way to the edge. My working theory is shade. I agree some white clover would likely go well along those edges. The bare dirt does make for a relatively guilt free track for my ATV.