I had a great stand of oats when I got to the farm. spread the seed and urea into it then rolled and sprayed with gly. Worked out really well. I hope it gets some rain and grows well

oats_zpspncvz5gf.jpg

rolled%20oats_zpsqy7xcysn.jpg

I had a great stand of oats when I got to the farm. spread the seed and urea into it then rolled and sprayed with gly. Worked out really well. I hope it gets some rain and grows well

oats_zpspncvz5gf.jpg

rolled%20oats_zpsqy7xcysn.jpg

Looks like Photobucket is holding your pictures ransom.... if you have the Tapatalk app, you might post them through that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Photobucket is holding your pictures ransom.... if you have the Tapatalk app, you might post them through that instead.

Are you not able to see the pics? They show up on my computer.. I haven't quite figured out tapatalk yet

This is all that is showing...
7a43547b107754a987aad8f8e67b994e.png

Are you not able to see the pics? They show up on my computer.. I haven't quite figured out tapatalk yet

If you are writing a post on Tapatalk via your mobile device, there will be a button that looks like a mountain (circled in the below picture).
Simply press that button and it will allow you to select the picture you want, choose how high of a quality you want it to load at, and it will automatically embed it in the post.

0f50ec31041e3435445e8e0883da0867.png

Last edited:
Dammit, ok thanks

Had great results last year with the LC mix and have a great stand of winter rye now on 1/2 acre. I am clearing the other half (so I end up with a full acre plot) of brush and will be planting that in the LC mix too. Planning on putting brassicas in the first plot that has rye-clover in it. My question is that if I roll it this weekend is the rye ripe enough for me to get some "free" seed and have rye in there next spring again? I can post pics if that would help. I really love this TnR method as it really allows me to get some plots in fairly cheap.

Chuck

My rye both at home and at the farm was a couple weeks from being ripe enough for the seed to be good.

My question is that if I roll it this weekend is the rye ripe enough for me to get some "free" seed and have rye in there next spring again? I can post pics if that would help. I really love this TnR method as it really allows me to get some plots in fairly cheap.

If it's browned down its gone to seed. You will get some resprout but in my experience it isn't as good of a stand as it is when you broadcast seed.

That's what I figured. Going to plant brassicas in there but I will also broadcast more rye just thinking I don't have to put it on as thick.

Chuck

Trying pics from tapatalk
f48e841dd7662c0b484a986666883ebe.jpg
60609d5acaf63241bd9e908f6c086a54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Peas are growing well and starting to bloom. Don't see any evidence of browse, deer probably can't find them amongst the weeds! There are at least 10 peas in this pic, how many can you see? Lol. Probably my last throw and mow without spraying.
023c67f70b048e13aa7ff7f77a795465.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Peas are growing well and starting to bloom. Don't see any evidence of browse, deer probably can't find them amongst the weeds! There are at least 10 peas in this pic, how many can you see? Lol. Probably my last throw and mow without spraying.
023c67f70b048e13aa7ff7f77a795465.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Don't feel bad..

616c2736a3304cdd0b4ff94821b1c31f.jpg

74291a919fccee18af5dcb0b308a8a27.jpg

f4255b035cb3e07e49b9afc23575a473.jpg

This was 175lbs of BW & 50lbs of peas.. deer are hitting it, getting several does on the cam..
so I guess in one way it was a success, but I was hoping for more results & weed suppression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nchunter........I see a lot of bare dirt showing. Until you get your soil surface turned around you don't need to worry about weed suppression and trying to plant thing like peas and buckwheat using a T&M or roll method. You need to produce a large amount of biomass to cover the soil surface. Those "weeds" are your best friend for accomplishing that task right now. Instead of spending money on buckwheat and pea seed....spend it on lime and fertilizer.

I'm new to this (first year) and I am studying closely everything that is being posted. Maybe I'm over-analyzing it...

I think that last photo with the boots in it shows exactly what Crimson n' Camo is saying. You can see where there is dead plants on the surface of the soil (organic matter - OM). In each place where that OM is, you can see green new plants, you can also see that OM underneath. Sure, it might now be the plants you were trying to grow, but the soil is providing moisture and enough sustenance to support new growth. Where there is just soil, there is obviously no OM and nothing growing.

That makes me wonder - has anyone tried to spread hay on a smaller plot to help speed up the process? Would that work? I've certainly spent enough $$ on seed that didn't take - a few bucks on some hay wouldn't be hard to spend if there was some hope.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. This is where I just did an experiment trying to simulate “mob grazing”. Look at how much fresh biomass is covering the soil surface…..no bare dirt. Until your field is fertile enough to start producing and recycling large crops of biomass…..don’t worry about all the buckwheat and beans and sunflowers, etc. Get the soil conditions fixed first. I’ve counted right at 30 different plant species in this field….many of which were being browsed by the deer…..all of which are “growing like a weed”. That’s a good thing when trying to produce total biomass.

6tfikkM.jpg

One of the reasons I tried this experiment was because I actually had TOO much biomass on the surface from the rye crop I mowed down a few months ago. I wanted to speed up decomposition so that when it gets time to plant this fall and broadcast my seed…..the soil surface will be a heavily decomposed mulch. I actually did that with my disk. I took most of the bite out so that it actually didn't till the soil but mostly trampled the vegetation and slightly disturbed the soil surface. Once you get to the point that you're producing a lot of biomass like this and your soil surface has turned to mulch..... then you’ll be much, much more successful with these types of plantings like your trying.

We need to produce biomass……….

uyOxqNS.jpg

Last edited:
I'm new to this (first year) and I am studying closely everything that is being posted. Maybe I'm over-analyzing it...

I think that last photo with the boots in it shows exactly what Crimson n' Camo is saying. You can see where there is dead plants on the surface of the soil (organic matter - OM). In each place where that OM is, you can see green new plants, you can also see that OM underneath. Sure, it might now be the plants you were trying to grow, but the soil is providing moisture and enough sustenance to support new growth. Where there is just soil, there is obviously no OM and nothing growing.

That makes me wonder - has anyone tried to spread hay on a smaller plot to help speed up the process? Would that work? I've certainly spent enough $$ on seed that didn't take - a few bucks on some hay wouldn't be hard to spend if there was some hope.

From my landscape days, i think the hay works good to help the young plants get established on bare hard dirt.
A new plot last year on a dry ridge had been tilled to smooth out. Had a hard rain and several weeks later got to plant it.
The soil on the top of ridge was like concrete and I knew the turkeys would make short work of the seed.
Remembered I had some old crabgrass hay in the barn. Spread that out to cover the seed and fert and hoped it would work.
Was barely enough and had spread thinner than I wanted but that was all the hay available.
Coupla weeks after a rain or so had a pretty full stand.......much better than expected.
Hope this helps you.

nchunter........I see a lot of bare dirt showing. Until you get your soil surface turned around you don't need to worry about weed suppression and trying to plant thing like peas and buckwheat using a T&M or roll method. You need to produce a large amount of biomass to cover the soil surface. Those "weeds" are your best friend for accomplishing that task right now. Instead of spending money on buckwheat and pea seed....spend it on lime and fertilizer.

Yeah I saw in the spring that I went light on the rye . Going to spread 200lbs or so soon as the seeds get in. Hard to see in the pics, but very hard rain washes across 2-3 places in the lane.

Hurricane Matthew rolled through about a week after I spread rye last year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This isn't exactly what you asked, but I did an experiment a few weeks ago that's kind of relevant to your question.
Our grass in our yard had gotten pretty tall, so after I mowed I needed to rake up the grass clippings. I put the clippings in trash cans. I then went to our local Dollar General store and bought some pinto beans. I threw the beans out in a small area where nothing was really growing, then spread the grass clippings over the beans. I got really good germination where the beans were covered. The beans that weren't covered never germinated.
Given that, I don't see why hay wouldn't help speed things up some. If you try it, I hope you'll post your results.
Good luck.

I finally took my 1st shot at throw and mow today. Just a little more mowing and I'll be done. Pictures to follow tomorrow. Thanks CNC!

-John