I was thinking it was frost damage on oats before I read you description.

Still not sure what is going on with half of my WR plot this year. Tonight I watched a dozen deer with mouthfuls of WR out of the “distressed” WR so I’ll stop worrying about it.

Still not sure what is going on with half of my WR plot this year. Tonight I watched a dozen deer with mouthfuls of WR out of the “distressed” WR so I’ll stop worrying about it.
612405D1-26B7-42A6-996D-E2BFE45BF8A5.jpeg
They were also nibbling my TNM radishes. First time in 3 years I have seen them go after them.

I'm sure it's not but that looks like herbicide damage to the WR. Any chance there was drift from an adjacent field?

I'm sure it's not but that looks like herbicide damage to the WR. Any chance there was drift from an adjacent field?
Yes and no. No chance of an adjacent field because the only thing behind it is my woods. But I did spray after I spread seed and mowed the field down. I think I posted about it. I did have a little germination when I sprayed but figured it would kill the sprouts . Maybe it didn’t kill them and just injured everything. If I recall correctly I sprayed about 4 days after mowing.

I have a break away boom on my sprayer and I haven’t quite figured out to spray when the weeds/WR are 5’ tall or at least how to get an effective spray. I have found that I have a lot of green stuff growing under my WR. Spraying it after mowing has worked well.

Maybe it didn’t kill them and just injured everything. If I recall correctly I sprayed about 4 days after mowing.

No I'm sure any seedlings that got hit were smoked. Any chance there was a residue from another herbicide I the tank? Although WR is pretty resilent as far as germination goes. I (think)you can even follow atrazine. Think not sure...

Throw, but not mow radishes into sunflower patch, seeded sometime near the middle to end of August, the ones on the edges grew great and are getting browsed good, the ones in the middle were slow to take off but put on some growth after the sunflowers died.
a2efa001bbdd60acb85d203172d529f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Throw, but not mow radishes into sunflower patch, seeded sometime near the middle to end of August, the ones on the edges grew great and are getting browsed good, the ones in the middle were slow to take off but put on some growth after the sunflowers died.
a2efa001bbdd60acb85d203172d529f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Looks good!

Positive results from my throw n mow process trial. The good news we did get some growth. Better news the deer are obviously using the plots. Best news - my dad who was hesitant to really get into foodplots has completely flipped and told me we need to expand every plot.

I sat on my stand for 4 hunts and had 10 deer hitting the small highline plots each time. A few times I was so excited to see them eating, I didn’t take the shot. It turned out okay as I was able to take an 8 pt buck on my final sit. I am sure I could have sat a few more times and seen more feeding.

Attachments

• EC70FD61-D194-4AF9-B913-DA872C58A271.jpeg
    EC70FD61-D194-4AF9-B913-DA872C58A271.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 95901F11-34FF-4999-B9E2-E5065CA5123A.jpeg
    95901F11-34FF-4999-B9E2-E5065CA5123A.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 5B80C2C8-0CA4-4258-9D08-7CC000CD3D49.jpeg
    5B80C2C8-0CA4-4258-9D08-7CC000CD3D49.jpeg
    728.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 97FCF377-3CB7-47DA-8D05-A46BCB5A0C7C.jpeg
    97FCF377-3CB7-47DA-8D05-A46BCB5A0C7C.jpeg
    927.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 5A4F846A-461A-4699-8935-589311852DDD.jpeg
    5A4F846A-461A-4699-8935-589311852DDD.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 68
  • A924F068-DA64-4ECF-A612-EF3395E51128.jpeg
    A924F068-DA64-4ECF-A612-EF3395E51128.jpeg
    873.7 KB · Views: 67
Positive results from my throw n mow process trial. The good news we did get some growth. Better news the deer are obviously using the plots. Best news - my dad who was hesitant to really get into foodplots has completely flipped and told me we need to expand every plot.

I sat on my stand for 4 hunts and had 10 deer hitting the small highline plots each time. A few times I was so excited to see them eating, I didn’t take the shot. It turned out okay as I was able to take an 8 pt buck on my final sit. I am sure I could have sat a few more times and seen more feeding.
Congrats on the buck!

The exclusion cages tell the tale.
Congradulations on the buck.

I have about a half acre of WR, WW, and Winter Barley. If the stuff wasnt winter killed from the lack of snow earlier this winter, What are the chances of success on a TnM soybean and milo plot? I won't be planting until the end of May so if it survived there will be plenty of thatch to plant into.

I have about a half acre of WR, WW, and Winter Barley. If the stuff wasnt winter killed from the lack of snow earlier this winter, What are the chances of success on a TnM soybean and milo plot? I won't be planting until the end of May so if it survived there will be plenty of thatch to plant into.

I've always read where soybeans don't do too hot w/ t&m... But I'd love to see you prove em wrong...

It's not that you couldn't get soybeans to germinate in a T&M environment. It's more that it wouldn't be a well rooted, viable plant ready to flourish.

It's not that you couldn't get soybeans to germinate in a T&M environment. It's more that it wouldn't be a well rooted, viable plant ready to flourish.

It is not really going to work with soybeans. Large row-crop seeds don't germinate at any kind of reasonable rate on top of the soil. They are a large bundle of energy and nutrition in a small package. That is exactly what critters are looking for in the spring.

I'm not saying that if everything when right (soil just right, cultipacker pushes them deep enough, right level of vegetative cover, right heat, sun, and rain) it is impossible to T&M them. I am saying that for all practical purposes, they are a non-starter for T&M.

Instead, consider alternatives that might fill a similar niche. I've had to remove my RR bean/corn mix from my plan because I'm dealing with a marestail issue. Last year, I used buckwheat because of the late planting window to give me time to spray and wait for the soil residual to resolve and because of the smother effect it has on weeds. Buckwheat is a poor substitute for beans, but it provides something while I'm getting weeds under control.

This year, I plan to add Sunn Hemp to the buckwheat. It has characteristics closer to soybeans. It is an N-fixing legume that provides some pretty good nutrition. I think it will lend itself to T&M where soybeans will not.

Who knows. I typically plant soybeans with my little Kasco no-till drill, so once the marestail issue is resolved I can go back to RR bean/corn. However, depending on how the sunn hemp works out, I may like it better.

Thanks,

Jack

I’ve tried T&M soybeans twice in small plots. Didn’t work for me either time.

This year, I plan to add Sunn Hemp to the buckwheat. It has characteristics closer to soybeans. It is an N-fixing legume that provides some pretty good nutrition. I think it will lend itself to T&M where soybeans will not

I'm planning on using sun hemp as well this year instead of buckwheat. Had a habitat guy tell a friend of mine that the tonnage of organic matter is wild compared to even buckwheat.

Planning on turning that spot into a clover field this fall, but for the summer, I'm going to try sun hemp.

I'm planning on using sun hemp as well this year instead of buckwheat. Had a habitat guy tell a friend of mine that the tonnage of organic matter is wild compared to even buckwheat.

Planning on turning that spot into a clover field this fall, but for the summer, I'm going to try sun hemp.
Yeah, there is a lot of OM in SunnHemp but it can also be a bit difficult to break down if it is allowed to fully mature. The deer loved my hemp so they kept it browsed down. Which kept the stocks younger, more tender and quicker to decompose. But since it was browsed so heavily, it never reached it's full potential for OM production.