All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When using the TNM method with a decent thatch, are you as concerned about timing the seeding to a good rain? Or do you do it when it's convenient knowing the seed will be there waiting for the next good rain?

If you've got good thatch then it won't matter as much about timing it with a good rain if you can only do it on a certain date. If I have the choice though, I always like to look for a good rain event in the forecast when planting if at all possible. Down here in the south I always look for rain coming in on a season changing front around the end of Sept or maybe first of Oct..

Well, I was going to pick up my seeds today, but the supplier won't even have it blended for at least two weeks. All he could guarantee was that he would have it on the shelves by the end of August. :-( sept1 was going to be my planting date, but I will probably have to push it a few days. I know I am planting a little on the early side, but it has been a record mild summer with good timing on rains. Heck, milo has usually been harvested in early/mid July in our area... this year, the dang things are still solid green and too wet to harvest.

I won't be able to hunt till late October anyways, so pushing planting back 2 weeks won't hurt me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am waiting until mid to late September this year. Got in a hurry last year and the army worms came through and wiped me out.

Sprayed yesterday, spread 5# ptt, 2# rape, and 5# ghr over about an acre, and will mow it tomorrow. We're forcasted for about an inch and a half of rain thursday and friday.

I know that's a little higher seed rate than most use, but I've yet to have a single plot fill in thick enough to canopy and keep out weeds, so I'm going heavy.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I got my throw and mow in yesterday. Going back to spray after work. Looking forward to see how it turns out. Half the plot was clover chick the other half was thick rye. It will be a good comparison.

I sprayed yesterday but am questioning how effective it will be on the half that was rye. There is a fair amount of green under the thatch that im guessing didn't get covered all that well with herbicide. I did go 4 oz gly per gal for that reason so we'll see what happens.

I am waiting until mid to late September this year. Got in a hurry last year and the army worms came through and wiped me out.

Keep those things to yourself :). I wouldn't roll either if they were around.

I sprayed yesterday but am questioning how effective it will be on the half that was rye. There is a fair amount of green under the thatch that im guessing didn't get covered all that well with herbicide. I did go 4 oz gly per gal for that reason so we'll see what happens.

If the rye was rolled and crimped I would bet it will die without herbicide.

Keep those things to yourself :). I wouldn't roll either if they were around.

If the rye was rolled and crimped I would bet it will die without herbicide.
The rye is mature and crunchy brown. It's what's underneath the rye where my concern is. Hopefully the brassica out competes what the herbicide doesn't kill.

My clover plot in the woods was overrun by a morning glory type plant. I sprayed Butryac in the spring (probably too early as not enough plants had started to grow but did kill about 50% of the broadleaf's in the plot) It has spread all over the plot, choking out the clover. I am hoping to spread WR/Clover, mow and spray gly and roll to see if I can salvage the plot before the sept 16th bow opener. I have had this plot in for 4 years, never sprayed it. The plot was the result of the land owner doing some logging. Just mowing it has worked up until this year. By By morning glory plant, the back pack sprayer is coming in!

If I have a over grown field can I use a lawn roller and round up this coming weekend. Then come back the week after and spray again and then seed 200 pounds of winter rye? I have a scythe but I feel like that's too much work. My other alternative is ask my neighbor to do it for me.who has the proper equipment.

If I have a over grown field can I use a lawn roller and round up this coming weekend. Then come back the week after and spray again and then seed 200 pounds of winter rye? I have a scythe but I feel like that's too much work. My other alternative is ask my neighbor to do it for me.who has the proper equipment.

The experts know better than I do, but spraying an overgrown field will likely take multiple applications. Mature weeds are harder to kill. They tend to go to seed when you spray them late, creating another crop for next year.

If you are trying to avoid tillage, I say go for it. But I tend to "go for it" often, and sometimes regret it.

-John

I agree with John. If you can't mow it and wait a week to spray. Spray it hot, then come back in a week or so and see what it looks like. May need to spray again. Plenty of time for rye so if you start soon you should have it killed off good before broadcasting and rolling.

Got the mowing done yesterday and then got a nice .9 inches of rain on my brassicas. Here's a pic before mowing. A little bit of everything growing, marestail, ragweed, lambsquarter, white cockle, red clover, alfalfa, grass.......
20170802_071730.jpg

My rye got fully killed and the brassica is stating to come up. Lots of nice thatch
a7688ae3cbf3ece6e95341de1e24f233.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

That look great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Have received 2.5 " of rain in the 6 days since broadcasting brassicas. Should be 3 days of sun now so I'm expecting lots of germination. Some of it's already up.

In the areas where grass was real thick.
20170807_083531_001.jpg

Area where I TnM'd soybeans a month ago and didn't get the rain, so brassicas are on top of the thatch.
20170807_083849.jpg

Where there was bare ground.
20170807_083925.jpg

Too many seeds near a young chestnut tree. Once I can tell which plants they are I'll pull them, leaving a couple radishes to pull some nutrients up for the tree.
20170807_090233.jpg

Got some gly on this chestnut. Washed it off right away with 5 gallons of water. Bottom leaves have yellowed a little, so will see how it does.

20170807_090104.jpg

Go ahead and remove those types of limbs from your trees.

I thought I’d give an update since trying the simulated “mob grazing” experiment……..

I’ve actually had a run of bad luck on rainfall ever since. My neighbor only two miles down the road has gotten over 3 inches of rain while in the same time period I’ve gotten 0.3 inches. I’ve been barely missed by several good showers.....so I'm basically just sitting idle right now.

0FCaGFG.jpg

Oh, well…..that’s just the way it goes sometimes. I’m still in really good shape to plant in a couple months. The soil surface is extremely soft and I should be able to plant by just dragging in the seed. This is what my soil surface is like……..sorta like potting soil. It’s on the verge of getting a little dry on me now though….at least at surface levels anyways.

IJzEJWj.jpg

If we pull back the hay you can see that we’ve basically just got a mini-mulch pile across the surface of the field. You can germinate cereal grains, clovers, and brassicas very easily in a seed bed like this.

7YbctI3.jpg

I finished my throw and mow plot last night. I did the same as last year because it did so well. About 10 days ago I mowed it real high with my bush hog and then sprayed it heavy with Roundup. Then last night I broadcast Grains and Greens from Grandpa Ray's. Then I short mowed the plot 3 directions to help distribute the seed and put down an nice even layer of thatch. I will hit it with urea in a about 4 weeks.

I spread urea yesterday in the rain on my throw and mow brassica plot that was planted 7/31. Germination appears to be excellent but the gly I sprayed the day after didn't do much. There is a fair amount of weeds growing. Hopefully the new planting out competes the weeds. I seeded heavily.

In the half of the plot that was Rye from last year I am getting a thick carpet of Rye coming up. Is the Rye going to out compete the brassica?

Anybody have the same thing happen when planting into mature Rye?