The Seedling Gambler

sandbur

5 year old buck +
42e5b2506c2e47930345fa29f589db1b.jpg

Which one do I select for?

I am thinking the red leafed one near the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wait. Still seems early. They don't seem to be interfering with one another yet. You never know if one may die, and if you select for that one now...

In this situation have you ever let 2 grow side by side for a double tree to see what happens?
I know we're not geared to do that for the health of the plant but you could always cut one down later.... Would kinda be like grafting 2 varieties on one tree

I'd wait and see which one grows to 6" the quickest

I usually thin to two or three and then keep eliminating more every week or so.

I usually select for fast growth or red color.

One knowledgeable person says there is a genetic link between slower growth and blooming later in the season. This might produce fruit when a late frost hits other trees.

Bur - You had asked me if I'd seen any red or bronze leaf color on any Buckman or Yellow Dog seedlings yet. I have not. I transplanted some Buckman seedlings from milk jugs into individual pots and they seem to have stabilized in their new homes. Yellow Dogs are growing faster than Buckman so far.

Bur - You had asked me if I'd seen any red or bronze leaf color on any Buckman or Yellow Dog seedlings yet. I have not. I transplanted some Buckman seedlings from milk jugs into individual pots and they seem to have stabilized in their new homes. Yellow Dogs are growing faster than Buckman so far.

Turkey Creek had some Yellow Dog scion at one time and I think it grew fast for him.

19ae3bf4928bc2c85dfaf0150e4a89e6.jpg

I thinned each tube to three seedlings.

Bur - Still no sign of any red or bronze leaf color on either Buckman or Yellow Dog. My seedlings are bigger than the ones in your pic above - and no sign of red. Which one tends toward red color for you - Buckman or Yellow Dog ?

Bur - Still no sign of any red or bronze leaf color on either Buckman or Yellow Dog. My seedlings are bigger than the ones in your pic above - and no sign of red. Which one tends toward red color for you - Buckman or Yellow Dog ?

Neither one has that tendency. Buckman might have darker green to the leaves.

Seedlings have several sets of leaves now and none of them have any red or bronze color. Yellow Dog still growing faster than Buckman, though planted at the same time in individual pots.

I like it! What happens at my place is that I select the ones whose leaves look the best after the diseases come through and pot the rest for other members of our conservation group. Nobody around here has ever indicated that they are unhappy with receiving a free apple tree seedling. Our conservation group is working on getting a lot of late-hanging, disease-resistant apple/crabapple trees growing around here to help the deer through winter.

^^^^^ NICE !!!