Swamp Hybrid Bur Oaks

I checked my Swamp Bur hybrids on Monday at a farm in Otter Tail County MN . I found 5-6 new dead ones in tubes.

I suspect drought, but it might be a tube issue ? I’m going to get them established and then either cut back the tube or cage them after a couple years.

Disappointed to see that !

I'm pretty new to tubes but finding them to be a PITA. I figured they'd be easier than caging and allow for spraying herbicides easier but all the weeds that grow inside are a PITA to remove.

Took my truck in for an oil change today. The road out front of their shop has several nice looking swamp white oaks. A decent crop again this year and it looks like the trees are trying to push out new acorns. Lots of little tiny acorns still covered by the caps. We have been horribly dry again this year. Lots of burr oak in the area are already dropping. The SWO are just starting to crank up it seems. Judging by how fast the critters clean them up when they are dropping its a highly desirable food source. Doubt I will plant anymore straight burr oak on my current woods. Mostly SWO and a few hybrids. Hard to get great pictures of acorns.

IMG_6847.JPEGIMG_6846.JPEGIMG_6843.JPEGIMG_6842.JPEGIMG_6841.JPEG

I have not found tubes to be detrimental to upward growth. I also think the prevent grass hopper damage.

I find them so far easier to manage, and the trees seem to grow taller. However I am rather quick to hydrate the little skippers.

I also use a ego weed strimmer to give them light

I use the miracle grow 6 foot steel super grow stakes to support the tube ( it’s zip tied to the tube)

I then wire the tube/ stake to 1/2 rebar.

Attachments

• EAC119C7-83D0-4242-B938-0D3DBC66E2C6.jpeg
    EAC119C7-83D0-4242-B938-0D3DBC66E2C6.jpeg
    874.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Took my truck in for an oil change today. The road out front of their shop has several nice looking swamp white oaks. A decent crop again this year and it looks like the trees are trying to push out new acorns. Lots of little tiny acorns still covered by the caps. We have been horribly dry again this year. Lots of burr oak in the area are already dropping. The SWO are just starting to crank up it seems. Judging by how fast the critters clean them up when they are dropping its a highly desirable food source. Doubt I will plant anymore straight burr oak on my current woods. Mostly SWO and a few hybrids. Hard to get great pictures of acorns.

View attachment 55985View attachment 55986View attachment 55987View attachment 55988View attachment 55989
Your acorns you sent me are doing very nice for me!

many thanks

Is anybody planting Schuettes in muddy areas?

Is anybody planting Schuettes in muddy areas?

I planted some this spring in fairly low and poor draining ground. Was mucky at time of planting. They are doing well but it's also been a dry summer.