Swamp Hybrid Bur Oaks

I looked for northern sources for schuette’s and found that one in NE and the Johnson nursery in WI but they were expensive if buying a handful. Kelly in southern IA sells bare root seedlings for much cheaper and ships. Because @bwoods11 had success with those Kelly trees in MN I felt a little better about using them up here too.

One more pic I took (Otter Tail County) MN.

Attachments

• 0C88F2E8-4457-4296-AC60-BD5464364A7A.jpeg
    0C88F2E8-4457-4296-AC60-BD5464364A7A.jpeg
    814.1 KB · Views: 16
I'm curious about when they drop acorns. Burr oak always is done dropping by September here.

The last two years where I live I have noticed swamp white oaks dropping roughly from Oct 1st-15th 50 miles west of the Twin Cities. That was one of the reasons I planted 25 more of them this year. They hang on much longer than burrs. Burr oaks always seem to be done dropping by early Sept, but some of them have such a heavy crop it takes the critters a long time to clean up the mess. My land caught a miracle rain this afternoon and we hooked about 2.25" from what I was told. I bet that put a whole bunch of red oak acorns on the floor in my woods. My woods is currently sitting in D2 (severe) drought again. I have about 5-10% mortality from this springs planting, but everything with a weed mat and mulch looked good.

Just snapped a couple of pics on Friday for my land tour thread. When I was building my pole shed about 15 years ago.....I saw a small Burr Oak that was about a foot tall in the yard. I decided to put a stake by it to see how big it would get over time. It started getting acorns in the past two years and this year is pretty loaded with nice size acorns. I imagine the tree is now 15 feet tall and I have never trimmed on it. I have a few thousand volunteer burr oaks after logging much of the red pine from my land. Takes a while to produce......but kinda neat to see the progression. I do not put any tubes on them or do any special treatment. They just grow here. (we do have a water table a few feet below grade...helps with trees and shrubs in my sand).tempImagev3k2PY.jpgtempImagein4jhk.png

Check this oak out.

I don't know anything about the nursery, but the cross looks interesting and it's certainly North. 😁

This one looks really cool. I wonder how insane it is to get a few shipped to 'sota.

Edit: My best friends wife is from winnipeg and they go to see family there fairly frequently.. Might have to look into how the folks at the border handle plants and ask for a favor.

Last edited:
This one looks really cool. I wonder how insane it is to get a few shipped to 'sota.
It's dark now....but if it was light outside I would take a pic of a few big Burr Oaks in my yard at the lake. They have been pummeled by tornado's and some got broken limbs or tops. Had to take one down two years ago. The tree guys said those trees were about 150 years old. Super tight rings and really dense wood....I wish I would have saved a section by the trunk.....nor sure what I was thinking. They have somewhat healed over from a few tornado episodes a few years back. Look pretty good again. We get allot of wind here on the lake as there are a few miles of open water to the west of us. Those trees take allot of rough weather. Tough trees.

Last edited:

Edit: My best friends wife is from winnipeg and they go to see family there fairly frequently.. Might have to look into how the folks at the border handle plants and ask for a favor.
I would like to try one or two.

Fellas.. thoughts on this tree? Pure SWO? Hybrid? It’s a big one at a park near me. Surrounded by burs and northern reds.
View attachment 55507View attachment 55509View attachment 55508

Stopped by this tree again today and looked a little closer. Has to have some bur in there right? Bummer about it is it’s already dropping a few acorns which seems a little earlier than some of the pure SWO I’ve seen. Some acorns are still green though.

9097DA69-A580-44D3-B117-59605ACA836D.jpeg1BC46AC3-9797-4C01-A46E-1D98125D00A8.jpegFEEF5159-DB13-475B-93AA-897D9C230026.jpeg

Last edited:
IF it is a hybrid, I suspect it might be a Bebbs oak ... a cross brtween a bur oak and a white oak. The acorn in photo one doesn't look like a bur oak acorn or swo acorn. It's more like a white oak acorn. The ap;parent early drop may be a function of dry/hot weather. Bebbs oaks do tend to drop early as do straight white oaks. Plant a few acorns and let us know how they progress.

I would sure like some burr oak acorns.

I got some elk summer sausage I would trade!

I would sure like some burr oak acorns.

I got some elk summer sausage I would trade!
Are you looking for regular burr oak, non hybrid?

Why not?

I would love some!

I got lots of room.

Idaho Archery is September only.

Family friends had a bday party yesterday for their son. They just recently built a house and moved out to this property in the country. It was an old 7acre piece of pasture that her dad owns. It has about 3 dozen big mature burr oaks. One of the local railroads goes by on the east edge of the property and the railroad easement is full of young burrs and all kinds of beneficial shrubs. A few of these old monarchs are already dropping. Some are still holding. Some don't have any acorns this year.

IMG_6755.JPEGIMG_6756.JPEGIMG_6760.JPEGIMG_6764.JPEG

WOW !
I like how open the canopy is on them. Provide shade but still let the grass grow.

IF it is a hybrid, I suspect it might be a Bebbs oak ... a cross brtween a bur oak and a white oak. The acorn in photo one doesn't look like a bur oak acorn or swo acorn. It's more like a white oak acorn. The ap;parent early drop may be a function of dry/hot weather. Bebbs oaks do tend to drop early as do straight white oaks. Plant a few acorns and let us know how they progress.

Bebbs makes a lot of sense but is a bit of a buzzkill haha. Don't think bebbs would like my soils at the hunting land much, at least where i want to plant oaks. I think i'll throw some of these acorns in my yard though and give em a shot.

I spent some some time in caging the oaksF493545F-0BBD-47B5-8C12-866686B75907.jpeg that have done well . I think these get nipped off even in a 5 foot tube . In heavy deer areas.

Here is how I cage mine

i put the rebar through the cage to spring load it on top. The rebar 1/2 inch will have two smooth edges, I pound it so the smooth edge will let the cage slide through it easily.
then wire the cage to the bottom of rebar

Attachments

• A98825B1-7678-4BEB-906C-CC26B3570707.jpeg
    A98825B1-7678-4BEB-906C-CC26B3570707.jpeg
    933.2 KB · Views: 8