Swamp Hybrid Bur Oaks

Maya

5 year old buck +
I planted these in 2010, purchased from Kelly's Tree Farm in Iowa. They said they would produce in 6-7 years, and they were not kidding!

DSCN3304.JPG

I got a few acorns last year but this year they have a darn good crop on all the bigger trees. Most are 12-15 ' tall. DSCN3305.JPG

Last edited:
What USDA zone are they rated for?

How big were they when you planted them?

What USDA zone are they rated for?

How did I know you would ask that? ;) I really don't remember Art. Give them a call.

How big were they when you planted them?

Around 18" or so Scott. This was one that late summer/fall.

DSC03463.JPG

Looks good, thanks!

Another one that first summer, tucked in a field edge next to some sumac. Beautiful trees!

DSC03465.JPG

What do the mature acorns look like?

This is the only pic I have from last fall, probably late August. I'll get more this year.

DSCN2835.JPG

Last edited:
So they don't grow where polar bears roam Art....
Last polar bear I saw hear was mating with an Alaskan brown bear. So I hear anyway!

Great looking oaks!

Do you have any bears that want some of the acorns?

Not that I know of. I'm in a valley here where most of the oaks are planted. Bears for the most part here are in the mountains and foothills.

This one was planted in a slightly wooded area, didn't do near as good as the others in full light. I opened up around it a couple years ago, and it put on 5', so plant them where they get some light if you get some.

DSCN2754.JPG

Very nice!

Great trees.I have them planted in northern wisconsin and they are doing great.

I have to say Maya, those look awesome! Did I happen to mention that Schuette's are by far my favorite oak species and I recommend that everyone plants some if they work in your zone. Schuette's can grow well up into zone 3(due to it's bur oak parentage which one source even lists into Zone 2) if you can get the tree to grow a few years and harden off. My suggestion is to find a source that is as close to the zone you are planting in as possible. Guys in zone 4 should not be planting trees sourced in Zone 6 if they can help it. Provenance of seed is very important to the survivability and the ability of plants to not only survive, but thrive in a given area.

I have to say Maya, those look awesome! Did I happen to mention that Schuette's are by far my favorite oak species and I recommend that everyone plants some if they work in your zone. Schuette's can grow well up into zone 3(due to it's bur oak parentage which one source even lists into Zone 2) if you can get the tree to grow a few years and harden off. My suggestion is to find a source that is as close to the zone you are planting in as possible. Guys in zone 4 should not be planting trees sourced in Zone 6 if they can help it. Provenance of seed is very important to the survivability and the ability of plants to not only survive, but thrive in a given area.
Sounds like they are very much like these wiscwhip? Any pics?