All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sugar beet Plot 2018

Did they hit the sugar beets over the turnips?

your going to have to plant both and see for yourself. Nobody can answer that question for anyone else but themselves.

I did plant both but sugar beets were a little late so my bulbs didn't get very big.

I plant beets, radishes, and turnips on my property. (sometimes rutabagas) Deer on my place prefer the sugar beets over turnips and radishes.

I did plant both but sugar beets were a little late so my bulbs didn't get very big.

What date did you plant the beets and how big did the roots get?

What date did you plant the beets and how big did the roots get?

I think it was the end of July but I'm not positive. I planted 1/4 acre of turnip/rap mix and a 1/4 acre of sugar beets. Everything came up great but I never saw the big white sugar beets sticking out of ground. When it thaws I will dig some up. The turnips were the size of a small pumpkin.

I think it was the end of July but I'm not positive. I planted 1/4 acre of turnip/rap mix and a 1/4 acre of sugar beets. Everything came up great but I never saw the big white sugar beets sticking out of ground. When it thaws I will dig some up. The turnips were the size of a small pumpkin.

That is pretty late to plant sugar beets tbarile. They take anywhere from 70-100+ days to mature depending upon daytime and nighttime temps. I usually plant in early June here in Upper Michigan and in Lower Michigan they sometimes plant in late April.

Our deer probably do prefer sugar beets (18% sugar) over turnips but they certainly don't dislike the turnips either.

Wildthing
To purple top turnips and sugar beet seeds look alike? I think there may have been a screw up.

Also, do u plant your sugar beets on the same plot every year?

They don't look much alike. Like already mentioned, sugar beets are a full season brassica. Plant it about the same time farmers are planting corn/beans in your area, if such a thing.

Wildthing
To purple top turnips and sugar beet seeds look alike? I think there may have been a screw up.

Also, do u plant your sugar beets on the same plot every year?

Not at all. I have always planted Roundup Ready sugar beets which come with a blue coating. Uncoated (and non RR) are brown, irregularly shaped seeds.

DSC00745.jpg

Brassica seeds are pretty tiny. The larger seeds you see in this bag are radish seeds. All of the others are turnip, brassica or kale seeds - all are small.

IMG_2537.jpg

I rotate my brassicas to different plots every year and sugar beets on a 3 year rotation.

Hope this helps.

I have always planted Roundup Ready sugar beets which come with a blue coating. Uncoated (and non RR) are brown, irregularly shaped seeds.

Not just blue!!

Blue, green, red, yellow & purple are common colors of RR sugar beet seed that I have had.

Not just blue!!

Blue, green, red, yellow & purple are common colors of RR sugar beet seed that I have had.

Yep - I was aware that they come in different colored coatings but all I have ever got from 2 different suppliers have been the blue coating. Thanks Nitro.

If any of you have some extra RR sugar beats, I would like some.

http://tug.monsanto.com/

The Technology Use Guide still says ... "Planting Limitation: Grower must not plant Roundup Ready Sugar Beets in any wildlife feed plots,". Same for RR Canola, and RR Alfalfa. The question is, will Monsanto or Bayer ever attempt to enforce it?

2019 Monsanto Technology Use Guide

http://tug.monsanto.com/

The Technology Use Guide still says ... "Planting Limitation: Grower must not plant Roundup Ready Sugar Beets in any wildlife feed plots,". Same for RR Canola, and RR Alfalfa. The question is, will Monsanto or Bayer ever attempt to enforce it?

2019 Monsanto Technology Use Guide

You still have to be able to get your hands on the seed in order to find out.

It's out there.

It's out there.

Yes it is. However, you cant just go into your local co op to get it or find it online. If you can please tell, because everyone that I have talked to has a very hard time getting their hand on it. If they can it is in low quantities.

What the plot looks like in the spring. Easy to plant in the spring. Plus the sheds I found on it in 10 minutes...(not joking)

Attachments

• IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    393.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    518.8 KB · Views: 49
Awesome Nitro - Great results...again!!