All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sugar beet Plot 2018

You're on track with height of beets for spraying unless the weeds are getting to tall,. When the weeds hit 2-3 inches tall is when to spray. Roundup seems to do the job better when weeds are smaller and growing fast. Beets hate competition of any kind.
Fertilizer is applied all at once in spring. The reason is, I broadcast the seed and no rows to follow when beets are taller, I would crush to many even with the 4 wheeler. I fertilize according to soil sample, with some extra urea.
Where do you get RR Beets?

Which is a good way to go about it anyway. It is my understanding that you want to starve them of N toward the end of the season. Reason being, it increases the sugar content.

I believe this is beet specific and not true for brassicas in general.

I have heard this also, S.T.Fanatic....but I don't really think starving them of N is needed to get them to eat sugar beets. They eat everything but the dirt in my sugar beet plots and I give them lots of N at planting and then top-dress with another 100#/acre of Urea about 4 weeks after germination. When the snow melts the only thing left in the sugar beet plots is dirt....and shed antlers...

DSC00164.jpgDSC00048.jpg

These sugar beets in two 0.5 acre plots lasted until the end of February:

IMG_0153.jpgMFDC5094.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

The bigger bucks had not yet shed their antlers when the beets ran out but plenty of the little ones did shed by then. These sheds were found in the two 0.5 acre sugar beet plots.

DSC00847.jpg

Nitro, the reason I ask is because I broadcast into a field that was rr beans last year. However I have rr resistant marestail and water hemp. I was hoping you used a preemergent that kept it so clean. I have spent 8 hrs hoeing or hand pulling those previously mentioned rr resistant weeds in this plot. Thank goodness it is only a half acre in size. The other bad/good news thing is that there are volunteer beans(a lot) as I let them stand all year until I disced them in March. I disked the plot again May 1 the day I planted the beets. It is roughly a 50/50 field of beans and beets.

The beets are from bb to larger than softball. I fertilized at planting and that will be all. They were treated with gly and dual 2 in mid June but apparently water hemp didn't get the memo that a preemergent especially for them was put down. Timing must have been off, not sure but I have had a flush of those show up in the past two weeks, otherwise it is a clean field. I will finish up the weed killing next week. It will be a very clean field with a buffet of beets and beans come winter. The deer are eating the tops of the beets now and have pulled several out of the ground already.

All I can say is I wish I had your guys problems. I dont have much of a resistance problem (yet) but deer wont touch my tuber type plants until mid Feb at the absolute earliest. I'm going to keep planting them on a rotation anyways because they are cheep (with the exception of the beets) and do wonders for the soil. It's amazing how fast you can build great soil when the crop isn't removed from the field.

I also read that beets were best planted after cereals and not to after beans so I'm glad to hear you have had good results with that. More planting options.

S.T., In my research of sugar beets I read too that their yield is lower when following soybeans but that doesn't concern me as I am not trying to raise an ag quality plot of beets. I want a good showing of beets that will work well as a food plot. I just hope the deer like them.

I just finished weeding the field. It looks great. The beans are setting on thick and the beets are growing nicely. At the end of may I thought it was a complete failure as far as beets go as I had just a few germinated beets, a week later there was an exponential increase in beets. Most took at least a month to break the surface of the ground. There is deer sh!t all over the plot. Heavy browsing on beans and beets.

How much of that monster is above/below ground level?

It's a monster alright, but a normal sized one in the patch this year. At least 1/3 was above the ground. The reason I grabbed this one was a deer had eaten on it and knocked it around, broke off the roots and it was laying on its side. You can see the wilted leaves from being dislodged.

Well if the somebody else can get them I’m sure they must be a
You can't. You need to know someone who knows someone, who knows somebody else.
I’m sure if farmers can get them they must be available somewhere

The seed is weighed prior to the farmer purchasing it. The farmer plants the seed. If any is left over they must weigh it and send it back. Monsanto owns its seed, the farmer just plants it. There is much more than meets the eye with agriculture.

There are plenty of guys out there that will give or sell you a few pounds of left over seed you just have to have a relationship with said sugar farmer.

The seed is weighed prior to the farmer purchasing it. The farmer plants the seed. If any is left over they must weigh it and send it back. Monsanto owns its seed, the farmer just plants it. There is much more than meets the eye with agriculture.

There are plenty of guys out there that will give or sell you a few pounds of left over seed you just have to have a relationship with said sugar farmer.
Ok got it
That helped explain it

Can anyone explain to me why Monsanto restricts food plot usage? I assume there has to be a reason.

Last edited:
bump

Any beet plot pictures from this fal/winter

Certainly not my best sugar beet plots this year but we did have some success. As an update, I planted two separate 1 acre sugar beet plots about 1/2 mile apart and E-Fenced both of them. I fertilized as per soil test recommendations, sprayed them once with RU and top-dressed once with 100#/acre Urea. I still had some thin spots and other spots which looked like maybe a nutrient deficiency. Didn't know for sure but I took the time to broadcast a little triple 19 and 0-0-60 which I had leftover into the spots that didn't look real well. I also decided to go ahead and broadcast some brassica seed into the sugar beets to fill in the thin spots. The brassicas germinated well but, of course, that prevented me from applying any more gly and I did have some weeds come in - particularly in the north plot which had been in corn the previous year.

Here is what they looked like on August 20th:

IMG_2808.jpg

September 26th:

IMG_3063 (1).jpg

October 22nd:

IMG_3250.jpg

November 2nd:

IMG_3355.jpg

December 21

IMG_3693.jpg

The north plot was in the center of a 3 1/2 acre destination food plot. Nobody hunted the plot at all during the entire season. We set up a new box blind at the edge of the second plot just prior to the firearms season and one of our guests sat there the first 2 days. On opening morning she missed a big buck which she said was bigger than any that we have hanging at camp. She said she just got buck fever and she was certain she shot over top of it. She shot a 2 year old 8 point on the second day - her first buck. 3 minutes after shooting her deer, a second (bigger) 8 point walked out in front of her but she only had 1 buck tag so, of course, she didn't shoot. I hunted that stand later in the season and passed on another 2 year old 8 point.

Unfortunately, we had our first confirmed case of CWD in Upper Michigan and our property is located in that core zone. Some 1,400 additional deer were subsequently tested (including all 9 of the deer we tagged) and no additional positives were found. Not sure where we are going from here with the uncertainty surrounding CWD but we have decided that we will no longer be planting any root crops - including sugar beets, which have a likelihood of having multiple deer foraging on the same bulb. We already stopped using mineral licks and urine based scent products 2-3 years ago due to our concerns about CWD. This may be viewed as an over-reaction by some but we feel it is the right thing to do.

What are the red bulbs?

Purple Top Turnips.