All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spraying Shaded vs Full Sun Invasives

Thomasc19

A good 3 year old buck
Last year I sprayed all the japanese barberry on my farm. All of the barberry I sprayed showed signs of dying/death but this spring, suprisingly, it seems that the barberry that was in full sun all died, while all of the barberry that was shaded in the woods lived. Any reasoning behind this? I sprayed in/out of the woods on the same days so it's not like the herbicide washed off in rain in one section and not the other

Wild ass guess here. What time of the year? Any chance it was dry and the trees in the timber were sucking all the moisture out of the ground making the bayberry go dormant?

Wild ass guess here. What time of the year? Any chance it was dry and the trees in the timber were sucking all the moisture out of the ground making the bayberry go dormant?
I was all throughout the summer but mainly July/August, could be the case but the barberry were all fully leafed out and their leaves all shriveled up and died after spraying

Could it be that my mix was too strong and just "burned" them? It doesn't explain the shade aspect but could explain why they came back?

Was the shaded stuff actively growing when it was sprayed? Shaded plants may just sit there and not do much once the canopy takes over

What did you spray and how did you mix it? Probably neither here nor there - I am not sure spraying anything on it will do what you want it to do. But then you did, sorta.

Yeah. Need to know what you sprayed and rate.

Also many invasive require multiple spraying. Very few of the bad actors go away when sprayed once.

What did you spray and how did you mix it? Probably neither here nor there - I am not sure spraying anything on it will do what you want it to do. But then you did, sorta.
Yeah. Need to know what you sprayed and rate.

Also many invasive require multiple spraying. Very few of the bad actors go away when sprayed once.
150mL/5oz of Triclopyr + 300mL/10oz of glyphosate, mixed into 4.5 Gallons of water

Plants in the shade do not photosynthesize at the same rate as plants in the full sun. Both triclopyr and glyphosate are taken up by the leaves. It could have rained after the application or a heavy dew could have knocked the herbicide off of the leaves before they had a chance to be taken up. It is not at all uncommon for weeds sprayed in the shade to take more treatments to be controlled compared to plants in the full sun.

150mL/5oz of Triclopyr + 300mL/10oz of glyphosate, mixed into 4.5 Gallons of water
I don't know. I could speculate about a half-dozen different reasons why, and not one might be of value. Translocation of the herbicides would be a big factor but why plants in the sun died and those in the shade did not, hmmm. Could be the shade. It could be timing. It could be age of the plants. Older one's probably have a bigger root/rhizome area and maybe those are the one's in the shade. I have no first-hand experience with japaneese barberry but have read about control methods. Cut stem application of herbicides seems to be preferred. If spraying, leaf applications are preferred in the spring while vascular activity is strong. I guess it all comes back to the differences in how the preferred herbicide gets moved thru the plant and the amount of plant, both above and below the ground, it needs to move thru. I do think your herbicide mix is a little weak for this kind of application. Me, I would double the concentrate, maybe even go to a pint. Ten ounces of gly is only 4 oz of active ingredient in 576 oz of water making it a less than 1% finished spray application. That might be ok for annuals but, I think, not here.

Thank you for the ideas guys - I'm going to up the rate this year FarmerDan and see what happens!

My go to rate for that mix is 2 quarts of gly and 2 quarts of triclopyr per acre, in about 20 gallons of water.

So about 12oz of each per 4 gallons of a backpack sprayer.

Don’t forget AMS and a surfactant. I also like to add blue dye.

Last edited: