All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shake your pear trees

Tap

5 year old buck +
If your pears are anything like mine are, you might want to give the trees a shake. Man, some of them are so loaded with fruit that I'm sure the branches would start breaking.
I gave them a good shake but also got thumped-up pretty good by falling pears.
These pics really don't do it justice. Huge crop this year on the Trophy Pears.

d9f9a5856e3e3cf438a02babf83bad1d.jpg
84fd9a6a862ff04ff63855a960196493.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How much attention from the deer do your pear trees get?

If your pears are anything like mine are, you might want to give the trees a shake. Man, some of them are so loaded with fruit that I'm sure the branches would start breaking.
I gave them a good shake but also got thumped-up pretty good by falling pears.
These pics really don't do it justice. Huge crop this year on the Trophy Pears.

d9f9a5856e3e3cf438a02babf83bad1d.jpg
84fd9a6a862ff04ff63855a960196493.jpg

Next time wear a hard hat! That's great your trees are producing for you.

How much attention from the deer do your pear trees get?
A lot. They love them.

I am so looking forward to having that "problem"!

You are killing me! Late frost zapped all of my pear trees. I do not have one tree bearing this year!

You are killing me! Late frost zapped all of my pear trees. I do not have one tree bearing this year!
I've had amazing luck on more than 1 year with my pear trees enduring a extreme frost and still produce a bumper crop. It seems more years than not that we get a stiff frost during pear flowering time and they still produce. I had a thread on the old forum about having temps one spring in the mid to lower 20s while the trees were in full bloom. I assumed there would be no fruit. I was quite wrong and pleasantly surprised. We had tons of pears that fall.
My pear trees are among the 1st trees to flower each year...well before the traditional last frost date and the always make fruit.

You are lucky. Mine flowered in early February and got smoked 2 weeks later. No pears at all this year.

You are lucky. Mine flowered in early February and got smoked 2 weeks later. No pears at all this year.
Not sure if it's luck or the variety. But these things surprise me almost every year with their ability to withstand major frost.
They are all Ed Fort trees.

Looking good. The right pears are the most trouble free fruit I grow. Looks like your are well proven.

Reactions: Tap
Looks great. I made the t out to the farm and found a bunch of my pear branches broken off. I assume since they're caged it was raccoons climbing up there and pulling fruit. They'll recover I'm sure but I didn't get to eat any pears.

My Mckelvy and Senator Clark pears are loaded but my many other varieties got zapped by the frost including my Keiffers. A good reason to have multiple varieties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also lost all my pears to late frost.

I am so looking forward to having that "problem"!
So, what's your pear situation? Newly planted trees just needing a couple more years?

Instead of staking mine I should have put a ladder up so the bear could have eaten them with less damage to the tree!

So, what's your pear situation? Newly planted trees just needing a couple more years?

Yep, they are less than five years in the ground just had a few make some pears this year.