The Notorious Nativ Nurseries "Wild Deer Pear"

I've heard good Things about The Wildlife Group...BUT I didn't go crazy. I just got 3 Wildlife pears, 2 Gilmer Christmas pears and a Yates apple tree to try.
Great trees from them always. I just opened 10 DCO I ordered from them today, 14 nice trees in the box. I put them in root pouches and will plant them at the farm.

Even though I have had four in the ground in south Louisiana since 2019, I am not sure how they are doing. The trees themselves have grown fairly well, but we keep getting late freezes that kill the blooms. This past February was warmer than March. Everything started blooming in February and that freeze in early March killed the blooms. I think I had one pear. I haven't noticed fire blight too bad, but I have had to trim a couple of blackened branches off the trees although I cannot say for certain if the branches were on the Dr. Deer pear or the Thanksgiving pear that Chestnut Hill sold. I used scions from pruning this year to graft to another four that I will put in the ground later this month.
I probably lost half the ornamentals and flowering shrubs at my home with same freeze. Everything was bloomed out by end of February and that hard early March freeze got a bunch.

Humm, I just bought and received trees from Nativ nursery. What I bought and received was a mixture of persimmon, Mexican plum and black cherry. My plans are to plant the trees in a couple of food plots. Hopefully all works out and I will have some fruit trees for the deer.

I am growing something a little similar. It's a late hanging Perry Pear called Butt. LOL I still giggle at the name.

1704471611696.png

I’d like to get some Mexican plums started someplace myself

Humm, I just bought and received trees from Nativ nursery. What I bought and received was a mixture of persimmon, Mexican plum and black cherry. My plans are to plant the trees in a couple of food plots. Hopefully all works out and I will have some fruit trees for the deer.
There are a bunch of white oaks in my woods already.

I’d like to get some Mexican plums started someplace myself
Nativ nursery at West Point Mississippi has some Mexican plum to sell. I received my trees and am just waiting for the tree protectors that I ordered before planting.
Check them out:
Nativ Nurseries 6015 Hwy 45 Alt. South West Point, Mississippi 39773

Nativ nursery at West Point Mississippi has some Mexican plum to sell. I received my trees and am just waiting for the tree protectors that I ordered before planting.
Check them out:
Nativ Nurseries 6015 Hwy 45 Alt. South West Point, Mississippi 39773
I have a few Mexican plums from NN and they have done well for me!

I have a few Mexican plums from NN and they have done well for me!
Thats good to know. I am going to plant trees pretty soon.

I spoke with the guy at the nativ nursery and asked when i could plant the trees. He said that now is ok for this area.

I have a number of The Wildlife Group Pears planted in 2019. Frost took most of my pears this year. A few pear trees from various sources made it through only to get Pear Rust. Dr. Deer and Becton are the first pears to fruit for me. The pears from Dr. Deer were a touch bigger than marbles. I imagine they'll be bigger next time. I still saw them hanging in January when they were mushy. Not a big sample size though. No fireblight to date. I've read reports on Facebook that Dr. Deer it's susceptible to early frosts. I'll need more time to evaluate that and any potential fireblight concerns. Becton has been my fastest grower and was the other first to fruit for me. So far, I'm pleased I have multiple of this one. Pears seems like it might be similar to Kieffer, but I'll need more time to evaluate.

I have a few Mexican plums from NN and they have done well for me
Me and the wifey spent today planting trees form NN. we planted Mexican plum, common persimmon and black cherry in the woods. Tomorrow we are going to finish planting the rest of the trees in the middle of a food plot.

Me and the wifey spent today planting trees form NN. we planted Mexican plum, common persimmon and black cherry in the woods. Tomorrow we are going to finish planting the rest of the trees in the middle of a food plot.
I hate auto correction. form should be from and We

I had the same experience with NN "Wild Deer Pear" trees. Acorn sized fruit on all if any. These were purchased in 2016 and I'm finally going to graft a different variety on them later this month. I also ordered crabapple trees at the same time as the pear from NN and those all died. They did replace them with additional shipping cost, but it was not a good experience overall with NN. I wouldn't purchase from them again.

I had the same experience with NN "Wild Deer Pear" trees. Acorn sized fruit on all if any. These were purchased in 2016 and I'm finally going to graft a different variety on them later this month. I also ordered crabapple trees at the same time as the pear from NN and those all died. They did replace them with additional shipping cost, but it was not a good experience overall with NN. I wouldn't purchase from them again.
I had a few of their crabs to die as well, but it was only 2-3. I've had really good results with their plums (Chickasaw and Mexican), chestnuts and sawtooths. I plan to graft all pears and crabs. Was really disappointed with the pears compared to what they were advertising. Looking back, I shouldnt have bought seedling fruit trees. I didnt know any better at the time. Thanks to HT, I have learned A LOT! Thanks everyone!

"If you want the new trees to produce the same way as the parent tree, you'll have to graft them onto rootstock."

Not so. If you can get pear cuttings to root - and some root quite readily, while others do not - the resulting tree will be every bit the 'clone' of the original that a graft on seedling or clonally-propagated rootstock would be.
Granted, grafts on seedling pear (callery or communis) will *possibly* grow faster, early on, and *might* be longer lived, but if you think about it, the clonal rootstocks (OHxF for pears, EMLA, Geneva, etc., for apples) are, for all intents and purposes, a rooted cutting. No reason why a rooted cutting of a pear or apple, 'on its own roots' would be different - with regard to fruit characteristics - from that produced by a similar cutting grafted onto an appropriate rootstock.