Scott's habitat improvements

Things are finally starting to wake up here.

Kieffer pear

ttx1Bis.jpg

Liberty

6A3zufR.jpg

Looks great! I'm having a tough time training my pear branches, they all want to shoot up as straight as possible. Are yours the same or is it just me? I use clothes pins to try to train them like I do my apple trees (which works), but not so much with the pears...

Looks great! I'm having a tough time training my pear branches, they all want to shoot up as straight as possible. Are yours the same or is it just me? I use clothes pins to try to train them like I do my apple trees (which works), but not so much with the pears...
Yes my pears are shooting up also, I have to do some training on mine.

Thats about the status of 60% of my trees right now too scott, green tip. Things are looking good over there, & now we get a much needed few day soaker.

My hybrid willow and ROD cuttings are taking off. I planted some screens last year and they did less than stellar not because they didn't come up but because they were browsed heavily, 3-4' on the best ones. Added more willow cuttings where the ones didn't make it and to fill in some, if these don't take off I might have to fence these off we'll see.

Last years planting.

ZA6Ael8.jpg

This years with some ROD stuck in between the willows.

PFErUub.jpg

ZhQoX6F.jpg

I was in Home Depot a couple weeks ago and they had one lone Shumard oak on the pallet outside on sale for $15, it's about 7' tall so I bought it andit seems to be doing ok.

PyMxsWl.jpg

Kieffer pear.

2DaPgaN.jpg

Does are getting ready to drop and my first siting of velvet.

qvS01yD.jpg

OTIwvk9.jpg

x5mWfN4.jpg

Once those ROD put down roots you can't kill them. I've got some in an old screen that I switched over to miscanthus. I've disked them, sprayed them with several types of herbicide "establishing the MG" and they won't die. I looked at them the other day and their about 4 foot shrubs. The deer eat them every year but they won't die....

Wish I planted 3 acres of those things it would be the eternal food plot.

That Kieffer is flat out loaded with blossoms!

Looks really good! I've been able to use Deer Stopper Concentrate (Amazon) once every 2-3 months to keep the deer off the cuttings while they establish.

Looks really good! I've been able to use Deer Stopper Concentrate (Amazon) once every 2-3 months to keep the deer off the cuttings while they establish.
I will have to give it a try, thanks!

Did some work this last little bit, planted 5 apple trees at the house, planted our sorghum mix plot, bought and planted some dunstan chestnuts

Lightly disced up and planted a sorghum mix.

HGmsrgp.jpg

7obu7Hq.jpg

Ko6SExJ.jpg

Last years rye with crimson clover, a little sparse in some areas. Going to let this go and roll it down in early to mid July for brassicas.

HljPCqd.jpg

rkxB3o5.jpg

I'm really bad at labeling trees, I went through and labeled all the apple trees that still had the tags on and I could read them, I got 19 out of 25 labeled.

3NUcocS.jpg

A big old Maple fell over during the winter into our seasonal pond, set a cam on it to see what pics I could get.

rPjBz7B.jpg

ORZZZSn.jpg

Vfk7Drj.jpg

Saturday we went to Walmart and I walked through the garden center and found 3 pallets of Dunstans so I bought 6 and planted 3 yesterday. How to fit 6 Dunstans in the wife's Grand Cherokee.

famYAwz.jpg

pfu7H75.jpg

h1fppLL.jpg

Some velvet pics and our first fawn.

RIhtv5p.jpg

pt6468P.jpg

7EqFrir.jpg

JZ6HV6a.jpg

Last edited:
That one fawn looks to be practically newborn!
Awesome pics as always Scott.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I always see folks talk about this dunstan chestnuts at walmart @scott44 but my walmart never has them.

I always see folks talk about this dunstan chestnuts at walmart @scott44 but my walmart never has them.
This is the first time I have seen them for sale in our Walmart, if you get on the Chestnut hill website they have a list of what stores they ship to and the dates.

Everything looks great. I love the pictures of the pond.

I picked up a couple IBC totes for watering trees.

qUve3Zu.jpg

Sorghum mix plot planted a couple weeks ago is coming along good.

ml9FkjR.jpg

Nflc7ks.jpg

QXmIa1I.jpg

MG clusters I planted in the switch seems to be doing ok.

f5p60xf.jpg

SBexSgm.jpg

Getting all sorts of wildlife pics on the downed log.

Rd8XzHD.jpg

Frnuhuh.jpg

k6wQcQv.jpg

Got some mowing done the last couple days, all my alfalfa/clover and my orchard, plus a throw and mow sorghum mix.

alfalfa/clover plot

dEcPHdL.jpg

Just need to get the inside of the cages cleaned now.

xqp1PSD.jpg

Throw and mow sorghum mix.

dGv8UZ1.jpg

Lk80dN8.jpg

7bMUMu0.jpg

I bought a couple IBC totes for watering my trees, set it up with a 12V pump and it seems to work pretty good, I just need to find a trailer so I can leave it on there.

aPlJgZV.jpg

1Ocybj1.jpg

dtME2xQ.jpg

I planted 3 Dunstan's from Walmart on the edge of the alfalfa/clover.

dU6jQN7.jpg

Going to have a few apples.

14Is1lX.jpg

Nice pics, things are looking great! Love the old 8N.

Nice pics, things are looking great! Love the old 8N.
Thanks! That tractor is just a touch newer than the 8n, it's a 1963 861.

K, those are work horses. We used to have a Jubilee edition that was a great utility tractor and easy to work on.