Scott's habitat improvements

Things are looking great Scott, heres hoping Spring is here next week from what the forecast says. :)

Things are looking great Scott, heres hoping Spring is here next week from what the forecast says. :)
Agreed, I'm though with winter!

I picked up my 8 apple trees on thurs. and got them planted today, we've had great weather the last couple days so all our snow is gone but there's still some frost in the ground.
2- Arkansas black
2- Braeburn
2- Gala
2- Empire

nB962hW.jpg

I thought I still had some screen but I didn't so I had to run and get some along with more fencing so these pics they aren't caged but they are now but no pics.

a7LzR0c.jpg

There are 21 apple and pear trees in this orchard, room for maybe another 4-5.

w6bFvJn.jpg

There is a acre or so switch field just to the east of the orchard, took a walk through it today and there is trails and beds all over this field. This field just started getting really used last year.

Standing out in the switch looking back at the orchard.

NIvJYMj.jpg

mMxH6Az.jpg

8 days ago my MDC order came and I got 48 oaks planted and tubed before our last little winter storm, some of the ground was still froze where I wanted to plant so I had to go to plan B. A couple years ago I took 3-4 acres of our hay field and started planting trees in it and that is where these oaks were planted,
25- Overcup oaks
25- SWO
25- Shumard oaks
25- Chestnut oaks

heMGi3Y.jpg

r6OQAK3.jpg

Today I planted most of the rest of the oaks in and around some hinge cut without any protection other than the downed trees.

2K60HzC.jpg

6YZAgun.jpg

One of the SWO seedlings in the hinged area.

QVc5Rx0.jpg

I still have 50 white pines, 75 dogwoods and 400 MG rhizomes but I ran out of time today :emoji_smile:

You may run out of time tomorrow to....

Thanks for the pix, Scott. Good things happening there !! Congrats on all the plantings. Deer beds in your switch is a good sign they like what you have there. Just wait 'til the fruit trees start bearing. :emoji_wink: :emoji_thumbsup:

I picked up my MG rhizomes and rhizome clusters yesterday and got some in the ground. I'm taking some bare spots in my switch fields and planting the MG in there to try and promote bedding and also extended some of my existing screens. I also had plans of planting a living snow fence on the west edge of our yard but after looking at the mess the MG makes out in the field I have second thoughts, we'll see if I do.

Areas in the switch.

71zX1aw.jpg

fMYoCiF.jpg

The size of some of the clusters.

Zxrhkha.jpg

Mess from last years leaves, great OM builder/mulch.

DSvQxwm.jpg

gglMuVb.jpg

Funny, I just planted 30 rhizomes along the West side of my garden to cut down the wind a bit-hope I don’t regret having the litter blowing into the yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, I just planted 30 rhizomes along the West side of my garden to cut down the wind a bit-hope I don’t regret having the litter blowing into the yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe I'm still going to plant them but it's just a little more clean up.

Off topic and going back several years here, but did you frost seed some switchgrass into thatch? I can't remember if it was you who said that it worked for them or not.

Off topic and going back several years here, but did you frost seed some switchgrass into thatch? I can't remember if it was you who said that it worked for them or not.
I prepped the switch all summer/fall of 2012 and frost seeded in Jan 2013.

MG planted behind those trees on the right.

zW2iZtR.jpg

FZBYHmz.jpg

What I frost seeded into, not a lot of thatch.

gL2yuGj.jpg

fGqTuqJ.jpg

That's right, thank you! And that's the 77, right? :)

Good to see you! Where have you been hiding?
Thanks :) Been a rough, busy year... My niece and her 2 year old son are temporarily staying with us, started working on an MBA last summer, work, 3 kids in 5 sports and then my part-time 2nd job :) The 2nd job pays for this habitat/hunting habit though. Hope all has been well for both you and Scott!

Thanks :) Been a rough, busy year... My niece and her 2 year old son are temporarily staying with us, started working on an MBA last summer, work, 3 kids in 5 sports and then my part-time 2nd job :) The 2nd job pays for this habitat/hunting habit though. Hope all has been well for both you and Scott!

Good gravy! You have a lot going on.

Looking good Scott. You have a lot of great things going on.

Looks great. I'm way behind this year. Looks like if and when I get to a few food plots that's going to be the best I get done. So much for more MG this year.

I picked up my 8 apple trees on thurs. and got them planted today, we've had great weather the last couple days so all our snow is gone but there's still some frost in the ground.
2- Arkansas black
2- Braeburn
2- Gala
2- Empire

nB962hW.jpg

I thought I still had some screen but I didn't so I had to run and get some along with more fencing so these pics they aren't caged but they are now but no pics.

a7LzR0c.jpg

There are 21 apple and pear trees in this orchard, room for maybe another 4-5.

w6bFvJn.jpg

There is a acre or so switch field just to the east of the orchard, took a walk through it today and there is trails and beds all over this field. This field just started getting really used last year.

Standing out in the switch looking back at the orchard.

NIvJYMj.jpg

mMxH6Az.jpg

8 days ago my MDC order came and I got 48 oaks planted and tubed before our last little winter storm, some of the ground was still froze where I wanted to plant so I had to go to plan B. A couple years ago I took 3-4 acres of our hay field and started planting trees in it and that is where these oaks were planted,
25- Overcup oaks
25- SWO
25- Shumard oaks
25- Chestnut oaks

heMGi3Y.jpg

r6OQAK3.jpg

Today I planted most of the rest of the oaks in and around some hinge cut without any protection other than the downed trees.

2K60HzC.jpg

6YZAgun.jpg

One of the SWO seedlings in the hinged area.

QVc5Rx0.jpg

I still have 50 white pines, 75 dogwoods and 400 MG rhizomes but I ran out of time today :emoji_smile:

Do Deer bed in those two hinged areas pictured or is it more of a barrier?

My hinged popple are acting more as a barrier. And they don’t hinge either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Deer bed in those two hinged areas pictured or is it more of a barrier?

My hinged popple are acting more as a barrier. And they don’t hinge either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They did the first couple years but I guess I don't see it now, it was hinged more as a visual than bedding. The neighbor's is the mature trees in the back in those pics. The blackberry and briars have taken off since it was hinged, hopefully a little more for screening.