Redneck blinds

Nova

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have one of these and how do you like it? My brothers and I just bought the 6x6 softsided one. It was on sale for $400 which I thought wasn't too bad. I am building a platform for it now, but just wanted to see what I should expect? I am not going to use the zipper door, but instead built the platform with a trap door in the floor.
28IYkVd.jpg
28IYkVd.jpg
20180107_191019511.jpg

I hadn't had any experience with the soft blinds but have built many platform tower's for the hard shell types (customers, not my own)
How high you going? I'd consider carpet on that decking. You'll be shocked how much wind will come between those deck board's. I like your trap door idea, I usually build full stairs to side door for customers as they usually are old and afraid of ladders. If for myself some day I'd do a trap door like you. Last 2 I've done with osb, 1"foam, 1/2" sound board and another layer of osb on top, carpet before installing the blind. Very very quiet.

I just bought 2 of the gillie blinds and am building platforms for them,I will say that sportsmans guide was the cheapest place I could find the elevators for legs and the redneck website was the cheapest place to buy blinds,chairs etc

You'll be shocked how much wind will come between those deck board's.

I know I was on the one I built a few years ago.

I won't be using 5/4 deck boards in the future. Some kind of sheeting from here on out!

-John

I am thinking 8' 4x4's for the legs and I do plan to put carpet on the deck under the blind only. The reason I went with the deck boards is the majority of the time the cover won't be on the blind so the platform will be exposed to the elements outside. The carpet will be cut to an octagon shape with a flap for the trap door and removed when I take the cover off the blind. I got the frame all assembled last night. I think I am going to frame.jpglike this thing.

I really like mine. Used 5/8" horsemat on the floor, cut to fit inside the frame on top of the metal grating that Redneck uses for their tower floor. 20161126_140739.jpg

Got the cover put on, I was surprised how easy it was to install. I also really like the mesh window screen and the quiet easy slide system for them. I can't wait to use this in spring turkey season.
cover.jpg

I have one still in the box. How long did it take to put the frame together. I’m just trying to know the amount of time I need to budget.

Probably about an hour all said and done, then 10 minutes to put the cover on, the cover is pretty slick to put on, but I did not fasten all the velcro and bunji cords as I will be disassembling this to take it up north once I get everything done.

I have three. Built one two years ago and two last year. I didn’t put Deck boards on until I had platform up to save weight. I use the 2’ foam interlocking tiles as my floor that I remove with cover after each season.

I attached blind frame to platform with four carriage bolts and used smal 1” pieces of pvc pipe as spacers to keep bottom frame up off of deck boards. This allowed me to easily fish the elastic straps under the bottom frame each year.

I use sections of old ladder stands bolted to side of platform to access. Made platform 8x8 to allow 2’ on on side to access blind once I climb ladder. May use stairs later.

Probably about an hour all said and done, then 10 minutes to put the cover on, the cover is pretty slick to put on, but I did not fasten all the velcro and bunji cords as I will be disassembling this to take it up north once I get everything done.
After assembly is there a good spot to take it apart in two pieces so you can transport it thru the woods ?

After assembly is there a good spot to take it apart in two pieces so you can transport it thru the woods ?
Not really because the roof plate is one large piece covering roughly 1/3 of the roof.

I have three. Built one two years ago and two last year. I didn’t put Deck boards on until I had platform up to save weight. I use the 2’ foam interlocking tiles as my floor that I remove with cover after each season.

I attached blind frame to platform with four carriage bolts and used smal 1” pieces of pvc pipe as spacers to keep bottom frame up off of deck boards. This allowed me to easily fish the elastic straps under the bottom frame each year.

I use sections of old ladder stands bolted to side of platform to access. Made platform 8x8 to allow 2’ on on side to access blind once I climb ladder. May use stairs later.

Do you get a lot of airflow under the blind in that one inch space? I was thinking about doing something similar, but was worried about air flow. I would think the scent retention would be totally eliminated if you had air flow like that.

Do you get a lot of airflow under the blind in that one inch space? I was thinking about doing something similar, but was worried about air flow. I would think the scent retention would be totally eliminated if you had air flow like that.

I'm sure there is some but I couldn't figure out a way for the elastic cords and velcro straps to secure around the bottom frame without some sort of space and still be bolted to platform. I don't view this type of setup as even remotely similar to a hard sided Redneck blind with regards to scent retention.

I hunt it similar to a tree stand knowing that I can't hunt it in certain wind directions. It's advantage to me is keeping me warm and in the stand during certain weather conditions.

I'm sure there is some but I couldn't figure out a way for the elastic cords and velcro straps to secure around the bottom frame without some sort of space and still be bolted to platform. I don't view this type of setup as even remotely similar to a hard sided Redneck blind with regards to scent retention.

I hunt it similar to a tree stand knowing that I can't hunt it in certain wind directions. It's advantage to me is keeping me warm and in the stand during certain weather conditions.
Thanks for the info. I might have to make some notches in the boards where the straps go under the frame since I am going to be screwing mine to the platform also.