Ravin vs 10 Point? What model

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I have put off the purchase of a new crossbow, because I can’t make up my mind what to buy. I had always wanted to get a new Ravin, because they were so far ahead of the pack. But now others have caught up.

If you were in the market today, what would you buy, and why?

Money is an object, so let’s keep the price below $2500.

If I had that budget I would go with the Mission Sub-1 XR. I've shot it in person and it's in the accuracy category where you only shoot one arrow at the same aimpoint or you'll pull a Robin Hood and destroy your arrow. And it was unbelievably quiet compared to other crossbows I've shot. And it's very easy to decock.

I would definitely shoot whichever ones are on your list before buying.

In actuality though, I love my Killer Instinct Fatal X, so would buy that and have $1,800 to spend elsewhere!

With that budget, anything you pick up should be the best quality and will likely shoot lights out. My buddy bought a Ravin last year, I think it was an R10. He got it cause it was lighter, and liked the way it looked. He had a problem with the cocking mechanism, and couldn't get a response from their customer service for weeks. He was super pissed. He got it worked out eventually, but it was after hunting season.
Maybe a one-off bad deal, but I know my buddy, and he's a reasonable guy for sure. You might factor in customer service in your decision...

I bought my son a Ravin R10 and it is awesome. Within 10 minutes he was shooting extremely tight groups at 40 yards. It is crazy how accurate they are.

I'd go Raven but that is because their engineer is from 20 miles down the road and many/most of the components are made right next door to my business (where my sister in law happens to work)

in that price range i would buy a Viper 430 or Stealth 450 from tenpoint- im a sales rep for tenpoint so im obviously biased but i shoot them all every year and those two are perfect hunting bows, id go one step further and say either bow with a Burris oracle on it- they are deadly accurate at any range instantaneously with that set up. the decocking process is what sells many on the tenpoints very safe and easy.

Reactions: 356
If it legal 4 you I would get the Excalibur double shot.

I have an old raven, and a custom Excalibur. The raven is great for stand hunting, the Excalibur is easier to carry afield.

If it legal 4 you I would get the Excalibur double shot.

I have an old raven, and a custom Excalibur. The raven is great for stand hunting, the Excalibur is easier to carry afield.

I thought I was the only Excalibur fanboy here. Their crossbows are amazing. And their adherence to recurve technology makes them incredibly versatile.

I'm not a fan of 10 point due to their politics. I'd buy something else.

I am really impressed by the reviews on the new TenPoint Fastline 460. I like a compact bow, and this one is under $2500 (street price). It’s hard to go wrong with either a Raven or TenPoint. The R26 Raven is what my hunting buddy shoots and he loves it.

My coworker is still shooting my first TenPoint that is 11 years old, and the Stealth NXT I have now continues to impress. Sadly, my TenPoint has rendered my Mathew’s MR6 Monster very lonely.

Tell me more.
It's nothing really, I just didn't like how they smoosed the legislators in KS when they got crossbow inclusion. Taking certain people out for lunches and whatnot. I'd rather wildlife management decisions be made for the resource and not the pocketbook and side deals. The whole thing was slimy.

It's nothing really, I just didn't like how they smoosed the legislators in KS when they got crossbow inclusion. Taking certain people out for lunches and whatnot. I'd rather wildlife management decisions be made for the resource and not the pocketbook and side deals. The whole thing was slimy.
My feelings exactly. I know ravin has lobbied it hard too. I’m more likely to avoid buying a crossbow just because I’d hate to give those cocksuckers money because of how they lobby our politicians than for any reason against using a crossbow.

I went to Scheels and shot a couple, they pushed the Ravin 10x, I shot the 26x, but thought it was to compact. I shot the Mission, and wasnt a fan of the cocking, and uncocking. I didnt shoot the 10 point though. I didnt buy one from Scheels yesterday, but let me tell you, it was really hard not taking an 10x out the door with me. I will go to a local place to me and let them give me their sales pitch, and give them my business. Ravin had a $300 rebate on the 10, but not the 10x, if it was on the 10x, the hunt would have been over.

My feelings exactly. I know ravin has lobbied it hard too. I’m more likely to avoid buying a crossbow just because I’d hate to give those cocksuckers money because of how they lobby our politicians than for any reason against using a crossbow.
BINGO! We have a winner!

I bought my crossbows used on archery talk.

Not sure about the others but my ravin (must) have the cables and stings changed every two years. I ended up buying a press to do it myself and I can tell you it's a must. There was substantial stretch after year 2 when I compared the old to the new.

Not a hard job to do but it is an ongoing expense to consider.

Ten point recommends changing the string every 2 years also. In nine years I've had them changed twice at $200 a pop. I keep a good eye on string wear before changing them. I know a couple of guys that have gone the nine years on the same string.

Ten point recommends changing the string every 2 years also. In nine years I've had them changed twice at $200 a pop. I keep a good eye on string wear before changing them. I know a couple of guys that have gone the nine years on the same string.
TenPoint recommends every 2 years or 1000 shots. Raven recommends every 2 years of 400 shots.

I was told Ravin strings $146 installed, bring it in every year for a free inspect and adjust, and recommend replacement every 2 years. He also said alot of it depends on how long the bow stays cocked, lots of pressure on them strings, and arms cocked.

He said if I shoot a lot, or leave it cocked for more then 12 hours a day, they will stretch, and may need to be replaced in 1 year. He also said if not used much, and not stored in a humid environment, 3 years or more is easily done.