All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pole Shed Question

I believe the hidden fastener standing seam metal roofing costs about twice as much, plus needs have the roof sheathed, is that correct? I've been wondering about the standard screwed on roofing with rubber washers. Do they have to be replaced in 15 years? I can't have a roof leak if I finish half the inside as living quarters...

They may only last 5 years. Subject to how they are installed, length of screw, sub-roofing construction, weather, sun, etc. Contractor over compresses rubber washer, it splits, then water penetration. Slat vs. wood OSB base layer menas you cannot have a good sealed base. We had that problem on our first building ... fast work, unskilled installers, problems. The roof is the last thing you want water problems on.

Am I crazy though I feel like if I did they work myself I could put the shell up for a little under 10k?

On a 20 x 30 size assuming little or no site prep work for plumbing, septic, gas lines, electrical, windows, doors, etc. basically just metal & basic framing stuck in cement posts ... maybe.

I guess I was thinking 30' x 36' but 6' of that would be overhang for the porch area. So basically a 24' x 36'. I would do all the work myself so everything would be just material costs. The biggest thing would be pouring the pad but should be able to get it done.

I just priced a 30x40 with 2 10x12 garage doors and 4 window,1 walkin door,Included a 6ft x30ft approach and concrete floor built on level site $25000

I guess I was thinking 30' x 36' but 6' of that would be overhang for the porch area. So basically a 24' x 36'. I would do all the work myself so everything would be just material costs. The biggest thing would be pouring the pad but should be able to get it done.

Not sure about cement prices in your neck of the woods, but the cement pad alone might be almost half of your budget. Around here that size pad...insulated, prepped, poured, and reinforced would go about $5K. A screw on metal roof another $1500 to $2000. Let's just say about $3K left for everything else. I would think building it for $10K will be just about doable depending on how fancy you're going to get.

I believe the hidden fastener standing seam metal roofing costs about twice as much, plus needs have the roof sheathed, is that correct? I've been wondering about the standard screwed on roofing with rubber washers. Do they have to be replaced in 15 years? I can't have a roof leak if I finish half the inside as living quarters...
Standing seam needs to be installed on solid deck and is about 30% more (material only cost) than the exposed fastener steel we use from my supplier. Not sure about the thin stuff from menards. Not that the thickness is really a big deal. In fact when hail rolls through I would much prefer everyone had the thin stuff :) I just don't use the menards metal as they are a pain to deal with and their metal is galvanized rather than galvalum like the products from most other metal suppliers.
The exposed fastener screws need to be put on correctly as tree spud mentioned, don't rush it. And then yes they have a tendency to leak in that 15 year mark. Most leaks are top or bottom row screws as the rubber on those screws wear faster due to the metal sheets expanding and contracting. More expansion farther from center of sheet. Can either swap screws out, or have a roof coating sprayed which is becoming popular now that many of these older screw down roofs are hitting there rubber washer expiration date

I have a post on building my garage. My plans started off building a small garage for under 20k, then ended up with a 40x50 with an upstairs living quarters. Not finished and I am at least 4 times my original estimate. Damn upgrades can kick your ass!

Concrete floor with in-floor heating and 2" foam insulation below.

lots of good input, I 2nd this thought, i would never build a shed that might need heat without sub slab insulation. And will never build one without also putting the tubing in. Your living area can be heated with just a mini hot water heater if you wanted.

We build our barn/cabin 2 years ago and love it. Also at the time said we didn’t want plumbing and really didn’t need much. I’m glad I pulled my head out of my ass lol. Put plumbing in and also do the insulated slab with pex in the slab like others have said. Also I’d look to make the overhang porch wider than 6ft. My dads pole barn has a 6ft porch and it’s kinda junk no offense. If it rains or snows you won’t want to be under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I’d look to make the overhang porch wider than 6ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh ya and this too, the biggest overhangs you can do. Dont skimp on the overhangs. Even if not for a porch bump out the overhangs - less snow and water issues.

I had another question,I am getting ready to build a 30x48 and can't decide about windows.It won't be around any houses so worried about theft.I know no having windows may not prevent theft but if they don't have it easy maybe they won't.Put bars on windows,raise up higher?Any suggestions on solar power lights

I didn’t put any windows in my shed, because of theft. I don’t live there yet, and I figured if you can’t see in the garage, it probably isn’t worth trying to break into the garage.

I didn’t put any windows in my shed, because of theft. I don’t live there yet, and I figured if you can’t see in the garage, it probably isn’t worth trying to break into the garage.
No that means you have a lot of good stuff inside and I will do whatever I can to get in and look around

Bottom line is if someone wants to break in there getting in. Have good insurance and buy blinds for the windows. Get a locked gate put out a trail camera and find an ADT sign for the gate and call it good. That being said I have 3 windows in are shop area and 12 windows in the cabin half lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bottom line is if someone wants to break in there getting in. Have good insurance and buy blinds for the windows. Get a locked gate put out a trail camera and find an ADT sign for the gate and call it good. That being said I have 3 windows in are shop area and 12 windows in the cabin half lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was designing the plans for the garage, and the window options were on the table, I sat and thought about it for a while. First I thought I needed to have big windows for air flow in the summer, then I realize I am building a well insulated shop, keeping the doors and windows closed will keep the temperature most comfortable. Then I thought, I wwould want them to bring in light, but then quickly realized I probably would never be in there working, with no lights on anyhow, and LED lights are cheap(ish) to buy, and cheap to run. I then thought, I would just get some smaller windows, ones that were to small for a burglar to climb into, being windows are a weak spot. But then I just figured, if I am not going to open them, because I wont need airflow in the summer, and I wont need them for extra light, why even put them in? My garage is well insulated, why add several extra costs to make it less insulated? After a bunch of thought, I just couldnt think of any good reason to add windows after that.

They allow heat in in the summer time, and allow heat out in the winter time. They only create an easy access to anyone capable of crawling into a window, and can pick up a rock to break. They were only an added expense at that point. I couldnt imagine I would ever sit in the garage and be staring out the window saying, I wish I was outside. So I went without.

In my county in Wisconsin dwellings are required to have a certain number/size of windows
(sheds/garages are different, but if you sleep in the building windows are required)
. If you are required to put one in, might as well make it a big one so you can have a decent view of your property. We have watched lots of bears, deer, grouse, etc. from big window by the kitchen table. The builder talked me into adding a bigger window and I'm very glad I did. I have quite a few windows on my place and I don't have shades or anything on them. People can see exactly what I have in my cabin from the windows and I don't keep anything there I can't live without. I also don't keep anything in there most people would break in to steal.

I thought about building a grate over window but putting on inside and pinning it so I could open and then open window but it would be harder for someone to access grate because it was on the inside. What about LED lighting solar

I left my garage empty for now and windows open for viewing so degens could look in for themselves and see there is nothing to steal. This is easy when you don't have stuff to put in your garage anyway.