Planting willow cuttings now in zone 4

andrew

5 year old buck +
Could a guy start planting willow cuttings now? The frost is mostly out where I live, but the temps are still cold at night (last night it was 17) would the cuttings survive if planted now?

I planted elderberry one November after they went dormant as an experiment. They woke up and survived in the spring.
If an elderberry can make it I'm pretty confident a willow can. Willows are pretty bullet proof.

My only apprehension would be "is the frost really out of the ground"? You want the dirt to be able to seal up around the cutting so it doesn't dry out. Be sure not to bring the cutting inside or even in a warm vehicle. If you're going to try this early you wouldn't want them to wake up at all.

As always spring moisture or lack of it is going to be key to survival.

I would wait a few weeks. It's still snowing and the winter winds could dry them out before they start putting roots on.

As others have said, they can be planted now. But your odds will go up the closer to true spring warm up you can get. Willows can even be planted after they have woke up. I would rather plant them in May with a few small leaves on them than today without knowing what mother nature will throw at you between now and then.

-John

Here are a couple risks I can think of when planting in places colder than me at this time of the year.
Most likely it will get cold again and snow again-----
If not protected, leaves them vulnerable to being chewed up by vermin before they even have a chance to grow.
Also if it warm enough, they may start growing, then the cold hits and kills of all their new lush growth and doesn't have the energy to survive.

If you paid for them, then wait, if not, then can try and see. I've planted cuttings in about every month.

cool avatar , Kleckner Oasis

Passion vine grows native on my place in east texas

fruit is reportedly edible although i have not tried

the history of the name is an interesting read

bill

Thanks, not native here, but I've tried growing them from seed different times, but always ends up having a bad winter that eventually takes them out.