Potted trees in freezing temps?

crashnrondo

Yearling... With promise
I bought a dozen 3 gallon white spruce trees and was only able to get 6 in the ground because part of my property is still frozen. So I left them where I want to them to be planted but now the temps are going back to freezing with lows in the lower teens and highs only in the mid thirties. Will they survive alright if I plant them next weekend or do I need to make a trip and get them in the ground tonight? Thanks

They will be fine whether you plant them in the ground or leave them in the pot.

As a rule of thumb, potted plants are good to one hardiness zone higher than those planted in the ground. White Spruce being hardy to zone 2 - you are good as zone 3 is the coldest climate in the lower 48 (assuming that's where you are).

Thanks! That helps and eases my mind.

It’s amazing how many retail outlets have potted trees out in the cold in Idaho.

They should be fine, it is cycles of freeze thawing and dry roots that are issues, that being said for future notes it is less than ideal not to have heeled them in and not a good practice. Freezing is not the issue otherwise we would have no trees at all.
IMO subjecting them to cycles of freezing nights that may freeze the root ball then cooking in there black pots via sunlight during the day only to repeat again and again will kill or injure the root systems in time a week shouldnt make a big difference.

The better nurseries put a hill of mulch around their trees this time of year.