All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting Shrubs

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
If I was to purchase some Highbush Cranberry plants this year on my ground in the UP with a fairly high deer density, would they need to be caged for a year or so? I ask because the local conservation district has some for sale for in 1' - 2' seedlings with 25 plants for $35. I'd like to add some more diversity to my land to go with the 6 pear and apple trees I'm planting this spring. The price seems right (I actually am clueless on what they should cost for 25 of them; they pass that eye test). I don't know much about planting shrubs like this and if they get munched when little.

Yes. Deer love them and will hammer those, trust me! :emoji_smiley: They are probably going to need protection for the first 2-3 years to get ahead of the deer.

Don't forget a weed barrier. I've found if you're going to bust your back with a shovel its best to protect from deer and weeds.

Second that yes. My friend planted them along the road in his yard and the deer were hitting them hard. He caged them soon after. They are really nice looking now.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was thinking I would need to protect them. I'll have to acquire more fencing and I will put down a weed barrier.

Years ago I wasted $$ by not doing either. Now I would never plant a shrub or a tree unless I did both. Lesson learned. Take the extra time and do it right. You will be happy years later. My advice is to use the 4ft welder wire fence. Keep it up for at least 3 years.

^^^^^^^ mega dittos

bill

When you place a weed barrier, do you add mulch or stone over the top? How wide of a circumference? Do you need to worry about mice/voles girdling like on apple trees? Spreading stone for 25 of these buggers could get expensive but I'll do what I gotta do for success.

^^^^^ FWIW - I've not heard of mice / voles girdling high bush cranberry shrubs. They WILL girdle apples and some crabs. I put crushed limestone gravel on top of my landscape fabric ( for apples ) to hold it down and keep weeds and little critters at bay. I've never put cloth down around shrubs. I've just caged them from deer browsing.

If you want to put fabric down, my advice would be to cover all of it. Fabric edges flapping in the wind tend to attract unwanted attention from birds, coons, bobcats, bears ( if you have bears ), etc. They end up pulling at the fabric that's exposed and yank out your shrub. Just a FYI from experience with nosey pests.

I've used 3 bags of mulch per shrub then cage them with the 4ft welder wire. You can buy the 5ft welder wire if you want. I buy the 2x 4ft from Home Depot that come in like a 100 ft roll. I cut out 10 ft sections for each shrub and buy 10 ft electric conduit poles and cut them in half for 5ft poles to hold the fence up. I use 2-3 poles per a shrub planting then zip tie them. I use mulch on my shrubs but use weed barrier and pea pebbles on my trees. I hope this helps. It's been effective for me. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 4ft fence because if you use 3, the deer will reach in and the fence will be useless. Also, keep the fence up for 3-4 years, they will still browse them as they mature and start to expand through the fence. I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove the fence, be patient as if you were hunting. Can't go wrong with playing it safe. I've lost shrubs due to inexperience before and it's not a good feeling. I hate to hear it happen to others.

I've used 3 bags of mulch per shrub then cage them with the 4ft welder wire. You can buy the 5ft welder wire if you want. I buy the 2x 4ft from Home Depot that come in like a 100 ft roll. I cut out 10 ft sections for each shrub and buy 10 ft electric conduit poles and cut them in half for 5ft poles to hold the fence up. I use 2-3 poles per a shrub planting then zip tie them. I use mulch on my shrubs but use weed barrier and pea pebbles on my trees. I hope this helps. It's been effective for me. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 4ft fence because if you use 3, the deer will reach in and the fence will be useless. Also, keep the fence up for 3-4 years, they will still browse them as they mature and start to expand through the fence. I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove the fence, be patient as if you were hunting. Can't go wrong with playing it safe. I've lost shrubs due to inexperience before and it's not a good feeling. I hate to hear it happen to others.
I used some 4ft welded wire in the past but the deer were beating the heck out of my elderberries. They would grab the vertical stalks above the fence, pull on them, and break/snap them on the top of the fence. Using 5ft welded wire has eliminated this problem.

Bueller- good to know so now for this years planting I'll buy the 5ft. I got a lot of Red Osiers going in. Thx.