Shrubs for dry ground? Possibly Shade tolerant

Telemark

5 year old buck +
When going through the list of shrubs for deer, they all seem to prefer/tolerate wet or moist ground, and there is a lot of talk about how they are found in or near swamps and along the edges of streams.

I only have a limited amount of ground that seems suitable for such plants, but I have a rather large area that is slightly higher elevation with thinner and drier soils throughout the summer. Are there any shrubs that deer like to eat that would thrive under drier conditions? If they are shade tolerant that's a bonus.

When going through the list of shrubs for deer, they all seem to prefer/tolerate wet or moist ground, and there is a lot of talk about how they are found in or near swamps and along the edges of streams.

I only have a limited amount of ground that seems suitable for such plants, but I have a rather large area that is slightly higher elevation with thinner and drier soils throughout the summer. Are there any shrubs that deer like to eat that would thrive under drier conditions? If they are shade tolerant that's a bonus.
Only one that comes to mind might be smooth sumac. I had a couple patches of that in southern MN that I tinkered with. They were natural. I just cut them back once, and they grew back and the deer chewed on it, but never killed it.

Another could be lilac or plum.

Dogwoods?

You are in NY if I remember correctly?

I'm not sure if Allegheny Chinkapin would be cold tolerant enough for you but those came to mind immediately. How about hazelnut?

Flowering Dogwood (Cornus Florida) will thrive in drier ground than most others
Eastern Wahoo
Strawberry Bush
Allegheny Chinkapin
American Hazelnut

I have some winged sumac on my edges on upland sites. I have seen some browse sign, but the fruit should be good, and the rubbing attractiveness is outstanding.

You are in NY if I remember correctly?

I'm not sure if Allegheny Chinkapin would be cold tolerant enough for you but those came to mind immediately. How about hazelnut?

Ontario. Zone 4.

Hazelnut seems good. I'll try some of those. Chinkapin looks like it's a southern species.

Sumac looks like it could work too.

Hazelnuts
Gray Dogwoods
Pin Oaks

You could always work the problem backwards. Create brush piles in the area and allow birds to poop out native seeds. What grows well, is well suited, what doesn't isn't. Then, of the stuff that grows, select the ones that support your management objective and cull those that don't. The brush piles tend to protect seedlings from being browsed by deer when young.

Just a thought...

Witch Hazel grows on our drier hills. Striped maple and mountain maple are understory trees that get browsed. Serviceberry. Of those mentioned before, hazelnuts would be in my list.

False Indigo and Ninebark have worked for me in a very dry sandy loam.

Deer don't like to eat false indigo, which may be good or bad depending on your needs.

I'm looking for shrubs they will browse.

You can try Ninebark.

I would say Hazelnut, Ninebark, Elderberry and Dogwood, Elderberry being the most shade tolerant but Dogwood being the more heavily browsed in my area.

The NYSDEC has a list of what deer eat in the winter. Should be about the same on the other side of the st lawrence.

although not enjoyed by apple enthusiasts, red cedar is a little more liked than starvation food from my experience, expecially if it's cared for limed fertilized watered in drought if possible.

Great suggestions here. Thanks, guys. I will build a list and start ordering some shrubs to plant this summer.