Pheasant Season Opener

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Friday November 2nd was first day of our pheasant season, I ended up taking the new pup to a public spot with birds just her and I on a very wet drizzly morning.
Plenty of other hunters out so I hung back and let the orange army do their thing and waited awhile, after a half hour or so we found a secluded CRP field and I turned her loose. After a short loop she pointed and I flushed up the first rooster, it took me two shots. We got him picked up and she didn't go another few minutes and was on point again, this one took only one shot and I was done. Fastest opening day limit I have ever gotten.
She pointed seven more birds on the way back to the truck.

Vum0t5z.jpg

My youngest son got off work early Friday afternoon took Darcy back down to where I hunted and got his two roosters after a couple hours of hunting.

That is great. I didnt realize Ohio had a huntable pheasant population. Are those wild birds?

That is great. I didnt realize Ohio had a huntable pheasant population. Are those wild birds?

The ODNR does a release a day or two before at about 20 public sites around the state. There are still nice pockets of wild birds still in the state in some counties...I am lucky enough to have a couple of them within an hour of me. These were from one of the release public areas.