Pear tree sources

Booner21

5 year old buck +
Looking to add a few pear trees next year. Most likely kieffer. Most places I am looking right now are not taking orders yet or they are sold out for next spring. Where have you all had success with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSC has them right now and in spring.

Cummins and most of the bigger nurseries will be taking spring orders soon.

TSC has them right now and in spring.

Cummins and most of the bigger nurseries will be taking spring orders soon.

Thanks I wasn’t sure if I missed them already for spring.

TSC had none this year in my location. The last couples years they only had a few in spring and fall. Lowe’s had none as well. I’m hoping next year they get more.

The Wildlife Group has some great wildlife pear tree varieties. I have several.

Turkey Creek Nursery. The owner frequents this site sometimes. His trees have done very well on my farms.

Turkey Creek Nursery. The owner frequents this site sometimes. His trees have done very well on my farms.

He’s already out of Kieffer. I’d like another as the one I have has done well.

A couple of Dr Deer Pear trees might be an option for you to consider , if you are in USDA Zone 5 - 9 Rural King, Co-op Feed Dealers and possibly some Walmarts will have them. Mine have only been in the ground 2 years , but are growing great. https://chestnuthilloutdoors.com/shop/dr-deer-pear/

I currently have 4 Kiefers and a couple oriental pears can’t remember the variety. Probably going to go with the wildlife group pear bundle and call it a day unless someone believes that is a bad idea.

I currently have 4 Kiefers and a couple oriental pears can’t remember the variety. Probably going to go with the wildlife group pear bundle and call it a day unless someone believes that is a bad idea.

When would you receive them? I forgot all the details, but tried ordering some of their trees a couple years ago, and by the time our ground up here would be thawed, the salesman told me his trees would be quite leafed out. I didn't go through with it.

When would you receive them? I forgot all the details, but tried ordering some of their trees a couple years ago, and by the time our ground up here would be thawed, the salesman told me his trees would be quite leafed out. I didn't go through with it.

I will have to check into that because that won’t work. The website is not currently accepting orders but I may have to email them and check.

I know some have had good luck with TWG but I have not. I received my order leafed out and they have done very little in 2 full growing seasons. They are almost the same size as when I planted them. If they don’t do much next year I will pull them out. I pushed the shipping date back a week or two but our ground was still frozen.

I would check with Mike Hughes at 39th parallel orchard. He's just down the road from my place and I have bought from him 2 or 3 different times. Great quality and great prices.

https://39thparallel.com/

Reactions: DJN
That's not good to hear. I'd like to give some of those pears a try, but it doesn't sound real practical. Hope they turn it around for ya next year. Was it G Squared 23 who showcased trees coming from that place a few years ago? How are those doing?

Turkey Creek can also has a good source for Asian pears, I got 12 of them through him last year and they had the best root systems of any fruit trees I've planted. I got asians from another source and their root system was not even half as developed. The difference in the look between the dozen and the 3 other sourced asians is night and day. If I want more asians I will go through Turkey Creek. Kieffer's from there have been great but they seem to be in hot demand with him being out already.

I would check with Mike Hughes at 39th parallel orchard. He's just down the road from my place and I have bought from him 2 or 3 different times. Great quality and great prices.

https://39thparallel.com/

I ordered this past spring from him and completely agree.

I've ordered pear trees from The Wildlife Group and Century Farms Orchard last year. The last week I could get them delivered from TWG was late March. They arrived leafed out and on the small side. I think I lost 1 or 2 with most doing OK. That Fall, I ordered from CFO and they arrived dormant and in great shape. I've been more pleased with the CFO trees, but I'd order from TWG if I really wanted a particular cultivar.

I know some have had good luck with TWG but I have not. I received my order leafed out and they have done very little in 2 full growing seasons. They are almost the same size as when I planted them. If they don’t do much next year I will pull them out. I pushed the shipping date back a week or two but our ground was still frozen.

I believe I ordered 6 total from TWG: 3 have done phenomenally well, and 3 are still little stubs like yours. The ones I got came leafed out as well, so I’m wondering if thats part of what held them back. I also think the ones with the absolute best sun have faired the best. I’m going to clear around each of the stubs again this winter and fertilize and see if it will give them a boost.

The Kieffer and Johantorp I put in from turkey creek have done very well. I need to stop recommending them to people so I can get more for myself. Need a big dog crab too!

Do you happen to remember what month you received your trees from TWG and they were leafed out ?.