Opened the Mailbox and got a Big GRIN

Do you wait till the rootstock your gonna tbud too goes dormant or do you want 'some' growth to happen before the whole thing goes dormant?

Sounds like one could potentially make a "Franken-tree" with this method. Kinda cool!

Do you wait till the rootstock your gonna tbud too goes dormant or do you want 'some' growth to happen before the whole thing goes dormant?
No you t-bud usually in august, you want that bark slipping easily

IMG_0597.jpg I ordered at the buzzer and got them from the post office today but I think they arrived there on the 27th of January but are still moist and look really good. Got them in the fridge now chillin haha. I guess I need to plan my vacation better next year !!! I got 10 different varieties with mostly 2 sticks but as you can see some came with 3. It was $5.50 to ship which I was surprised they paid for as well. What a country !!!! LOL

Good to see your order made it Paul. I recognize some cider apples in your mix.

Rick

I heard on the radio this morning how hard cider makers are in need of cider varieties and how orchards are relucent to plant cause they don't know if is going to continue to be a growing market

Anybody order and get pear scions yet? I haven't received mine yet

Yes I have been concentrating on cider apples for the last 2 years. I am hoping to make more cider and hard cider in the future. I just read my note that came with the scion wood and they didn't have Michelin and Court Pendu Gris this year so I only got 8 varieties

Last edited:
Well....it turns out our beer fridge in the garage is at the optimal beer temperature....but not one good for storing scion. If everything was frozen, are they toast? Totally bumming right now :(

Not necessarily, how long were they in the frozen state. I did the same thing with my rootstocks last year but they ended up being fine. I guess mine were in frozen state for a day

Wouldn't they be frozen if they were in on the tree outside. I think the issue is them drying out. at least that's what common sense tells me.

I was thinking the same. Is there any way to find out if they are still okay? They were in there for 3-4 days before I checked on them, so I'm not sure

I have not gotten my pear scions yet.

Hey ya'll on my local conservation district tree sale they have Sargeant Crabapples for $1 a piece, what do you think of growing them for rootstock for me tbud wood that'll arrive in August?

Secondly How do you care for these 'rootstock trees' like if you grow them at home but dont plan on that being their permanent spot do you do it direct in the ground or in some sort of root trapper setup?

That's what I do with red splendor crabs from my conservation district. One thing about Sargent I thinks it is a natural semi dwarf

Here is how I do the trees I get from swcd.

Buck, this reminds me of the video that circulated a while ago re: cloning rootstocks:

Perhaps one of the gurus can provide some more advice, but if you wanted to lower your cost of rootstocks, stooling would seem to be a good technique.

Buck, this reminds me of the video that circulated a while ago re: cloning rootstocks:

Perhaps one of the gurus can provide some more advice, but if you wanted to lower your cost of rootstocks, stooling would seem to be a good technique.

That would be a great thing but I'm starting w/ zero root stock at the moment. I was just looking for options as its seems B118 or antonovka are either hard to get or kinda pricey.