Ohio kids shoots escaped monster high fence deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like they have already set precedence a few years back...

High-Fence 226-Inch Whitetail Escapes, Shot in Louisiana
But what about the record? Well that’s secondary, if you ask Broussard. Though she had originally heard the tag wouldn’t have mattered in Boone & Crockett scoring, that didn’t quite turn out — a tough break, considering the reigning Louisiana buck scored 195. Still, though the record eluded her, Broussard said it can’t possibly take away from the experience.

They don't reference eartags specifically, but they do have the statement below, which is relevant whether the "pets" would be eartagged or not...
Genetic Manipulation of Game Animals
The Boone and Crockett Club condemns artificial and unnatural enhancement of a big game species’ genetic characteristics. Unacceptable practices for genetic enhancement include, but are not limited to, artificial insemination, controlled or unnatural breeding programs, cloning, and translocation of breeding stock for canned shooting purposes.

Public Perception
The Boone and Crockett Club is greatly concerned that the non-hunting public may confuse ethical, fair chase hunting with canned shoots, genetic manipulations and other related practices, which the Club condemns.

Sounds like anything related to a farmed deer would disqualify it given the paragraphs I pasted from the B & C website.

This was the deer that escaped an Iowa High Fence operation.
PHOTO-147295-72797992P.jpg

I don't see how B&C/P&Y could accept a livestock deer. The kid in this case knew the pet was out there. How would this be different if an 'escape' was engineered by the deer farm. 'Hey, this guy got out (haha! wink, wink!) and is now wild. For $100,000 you could get the new world record!'

I don't see how B&C/P&Y could accept a livestock deer. The kid in this case knew the pet was out there. How would this be different if an 'escape' was engineered by the deer farm. 'Hey, this guy got out (haha! wink, wink!) and is now wild. For $100,000 you could get the new world record!'
Yup and the name of the deer farm would be in "lights". Now way anything like this would be allowed. Besides, they can get all these "trophies" put in the SCI "Book" anyway, let them brag over there.

Would you give up hunting if it ever became legal to release deer from behind fence into the wild like Texas does now? Like it does not already happen which points to top record book states being top deer farming states also.

Would you give up hunting if it ever became legal to release deer from behind fence into the wild like Texas does now? Like it does not already happen which points to top record book states being top deer farming states also.
And that has probably resulted in faster spread of CWD.

Remember that farmed deer are livestock and should remain as such. There should be no confusion between wild deer and livestock.

So you are saying that a large % of record book bucks have been farmed deer that have been released? Sounds like some good correlation and causation:

Correlation.jpeg

And that has probably resulted in faster spread of CWD.

Remember that farmed deer are livestock and should remain as such. There should be no confusion between wild deer and livestock.
Why of course! I am sure you could tell the difference between a wild farm raised 10 point 140 inch buck then one that was born on the spot? If some on here went back and did some research of the past and how deer got repopulated 50 years ago you would find your answer. Ohio is an easy one. You boys have been hunting transplanted deer for years.

And for your CWD theory...It sounds all wet seeing though they just found their first in Ohio and deer were released off farms a long,long time ago.

So you are saying that a large % of record book bucks have been farmed deer that have been released? Sounds like some good correlation and causation:

View attachment 3354
Can you say they have not? I know of some big name deer hunters that kill record bucks off their property every year and property around them and they also raise whitetails. As the crow flies 100 miles either way...Not so many book bucks...

Can you say they have not? I know of some big name deer hunters that kill record bucks off their property every year and property around them and they also raise whitetails. As the crow flies 100 miles either way...Not so many book bucks...

Sounds like the argument for Bigfoot existing. I would not be surprised if there were some farm raised deer in record books but to say that a state is the top state because deer are released, and you can't prove me wrong is laughable.

100 miles??? Did you mean 10 miles? I know in MN and parts of the midwest the soil types, ag land, etc will change greatly in 10-15 miles as the crow flies. Our county in MN is not known for big bucks but there are parts of the county that have a lot more of them shot and no deer farms in the better areas. But the soils, farmland, and overall habitat are a lot different than areas 10-15 miles away. From some of the top areas in the Midwest such as Buffalo County, Houston County, Pike County the habitat changes greatly 10-30 miles away, so does the cover, hunting pressure, etc.

Sounds like the argument for Bigfoot existing. I would not be surprised if there were some farm raised deer in record books but to say that a state is the top state because deer are released, and you can't prove me wrong is laughable.

100 miles??? Did you mean 10 miles? I know in MN and parts of the midwest the soil types, ag land, etc will change greatly in 10-15 miles as the crow flies. Our county in MN is not known for big bucks but there are parts of the county that have a lot more of them shot and no deer farms in the better areas. But the soils, farmland, and overall habitat are a lot different than areas 10-15 miles away. From some of the top areas in the Midwest such as Buffalo County, Houston County, Pike County the habitat changes greatly 10-30 miles away, so does the cover, hunting pressure, etc.
So true but my point in asking the question was because it has already been done and if research will show how deer farms and high fence deer repopulated states years ago that had no deer numbers at all. Now today after all is said and done and the deer release was a huge success and the state makes the books every year some still like to use the livestock vs wild crap. I know in my state i can take you many places in the wild that the deer are much tamer than behind some wire. Yes those are hunting areas... Texas is a huge success because they work together..The ranches, the farms and the DNR...Other states would be smart to take notes before their herds are really gone..be it to the wolves, the hunters or their DNR

Four seasons, just keep beating your drum, but the evidence is much different in other states. Your statements are not true for all areas and the record exists of where CWD was first found in some states-domestic cervids.

I know of no deer releases in Minnesota leading to repopulation. I hope no tame deer ever escape, as deer farmers have an investment that they do not want to lose just like any cattleman. And most of the rest of us want to keep our deer population from wild genetics.

Four Seasons, I'm not saying you're wrong..but could you provide proof of farmed deer being used to repopulate herds? I know that wild deer in MN and WI (and probably some other states) were trapped and relocated to some other states, but haven't heard of that happening with farmed deer.
Here is just a little taste. Research shows much...

Now that Ohio had suitable habitat for deer, the next step was to create a place where the fledgling deer herd could be watched and monitored. The Department of Conservation built a 700-acre corral. Over the next eight years, approximately 200 whitetail deer were purchased from other states and from private farms in Ohio. Few records were kept, however and the age and sex of the deer purchased are not known(Stroll 3).
The deer were allowed to reproduce in the corral from 1922 to 1932. During that time about 100 deer escaped into the surrounding countryside. By 1932 the corralled deer herds numbers increased to an estimated 1000 deer. A full release happened that same year with the hope that they would repopulate the state (Reynolds). By 1937 deer were found in 28 counties with a herd size estimated at around 2,000. By 1960 deer were found in all 88 counties(Stroll 35

Sounds to me that in just this one state..Deer hunting originated from HIGH FENCE.

Sandbur, I dont not need to beat any drum to show you the number of states that have CWD and never had i deer farm in it. Or should i show you the what 50 plus cases this year or the over 500 cases in the past in the state of Illinois in the wild..Yet NEVER a case found on a deer farm or ranch anywhere in that state? Ya the drum is playing the true facts again.

Not worth arguing wabout, I have been through it too many times. Just take a look at Minnesota's record and your arguments fall apart.

Merry Christmas and let's move on.

Reactions: ELH
Not worth arguing wabout, I have been through it too many times. Just take a look at Minnesota's record and your arguments fall apart.

Merry Christmas and let's move on.
LOL...I agree but after reading your posts and many others from your state and others that complain about populations, not seeing any deer all season. DNR,Hunters,Wolves one would not be so quick to shut the door on all thoughts when it comes to whitetails. After doing some research on your states last 150 years it shows the problems of the past. The closing of the seasons,Ect,Ect..It looks as though you guys are heading down the same road. I guess if all are ok with that then whats a person to do but i would bet good money that if a survey went out about good healthy deer repopulations in many parts of your state. from your states deer farms. hunters would be all for it and then some.. Its a strong pull.

Merry X-Mas i Agree.

Here is just a little taste. Research shows much...

Now that Ohio had suitable habitat for deer, the next step was to create a place where the fledgling deer herd could be watched and monitored. The Department of Conservation built a 700-acre corral. Over the next eight years, approximately 200 whitetail deer were purchased from other states and from private farms in Ohio. Few records were kept, however and the age and sex of the deer purchased are not known(Stroll 3).
The deer were allowed to reproduce in the corral from 1922 to 1932. During that time about 100 deer escaped into the surrounding countryside. By 1932 the corralled deer herds numbers increased to an estimated 1000 deer. A full release happened that same year with the hope that they would repopulate the state (Reynolds). By 1937 deer were found in 28 counties with a herd size estimated at around 2,000. By 1960 deer were found in all 88 counties(Stroll 35

Sounds to me that in just this one state..Deer hunting originated from HIGH FENCE.

Sandbur, I dont not need to beat any drum to show you the number of states that have CWD and never had i deer farm in it. Or should i show you the what 50 plus cases this year or the over 500 cases in the past in the state of Illinois in the wild..Yet NEVER a case found on a deer farm or ranch anywhere in that state? Ya the drum is playing the true facts again.

the one thing I would say is that the genetics back in 1922 were probably more close to if not straight from wild deer so releasing them back into the wild wouldn't have been a problem. The mutated,drug enhanced, zombies they call bucks now on deer farms are a far cry from what was around 80 years ago and don't even come close to the original lineage.

the one thing I would say is that the genetics back in 1922 were probably more close to if not straight from wild deer so releasing them back into the wild wouldn't have been a problem. The mutated,drug enhanced, zombies they call bucks now on deer farms are a far cry from what was around 80 years ago and don't even come close to the original lineage.
LOL..Now you are starting to sound like the QDMA quacks that say they have no problem with a deer killed behind fence as long as a boy deer and a girl deer had sex to make that deer. If not then high fence is not fair. Whatever..

Fact is it was high fence and deer farms that supplied the deer to repopulate. Period.

The mutated,drug enhanced, zombies they call bucks now on deer farms are a far cry from what was around 80 years ago and don't even come close to the original lineage.
VAST, VAST oversimplification and inaccurate generalization. The fact that you see some bucks on some farms that don't look like what you generally see in free-range deer doesn't mean that your statement is true. Most bucks on most farms look like deer that are shot in top "trophy" states every year, are not fed any PED's, are not zombies according to any zombie movie I'm aware of and often can trace their lineage back to bucks like J44 out of PA that was originally a free-range PA deer. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

LOL..Now you are starting to sound like the QDMA quacks that say they have no problem with a deer killed behind fence as long as a boy deer and a girl deer had sex to make that deer. If not then high fence is not fair. Whatever..

Fact is it was high fence and deer farms that supplied the deer to repopulate. Period.

You're deflecting the argument. I never said it wasn't a deer behind a fence that was released. What I said was that deer back in the 20's never had the manipulation that modern deer have.

VAST, VAST oversimplification and inaccurate generalization. The fact that you see some bucks on some farms that don't look like what you generally see in free-range deer doesn't mean that your statement is true. Most bucks on most farms look like deer that are shot in top "trophy" states every year, are not fed any PED's, are not zombies according to any zombie movie I'm aware of and often can trace their lineage back to bucks like J44 out of PA that was originally a free-range PA deer. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

so what you're saying is that there is absolutely no genetic modification, hormone enhancing, feed supplements, line breeding etc...... going on in the deer industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.