Oak Tree Planting

White Oak

5 year old buck +
My Grandfather was born in 1910 on a 40 acre farm in Saddle Brook NJ. When he was a kid a large Oak tree stood on their land and they kept the mules near it. The land has long been sold off but the tree still stands to this day. A relative of mine owns maybe a half acre where the tree is, and I had him send me some acorns in the fall of 2018. I planted them in pots (after reading how on the internet) and was able to get 4 trees to grow. I planted one of the seedlings early this week. I have heard only to plants trees in months with the letter R in it, but I am not sure if that only applies to bare root trees . Should I plant the rest of the trees in May ? or change out the potting soil and wait for fall to plant ?. I am in zone 7 a warmer climate.

Attachments

• 100_0493.JPG
    100_0493.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 35
Cool, fun to watch the results.

The answer is .... you can plant an oak tree in any month when the ground is soft enough to allow you to dig a hole; PROVIDED, during the period May - August (and most other months to be honest) you can - and are willing to - provide water in addition to whatever rainfall occurs. If May-August happens to be unusually cool and abnormally wet, you might not even have to supplement water. If you want max. growth, eliminate competition, provide protection (rabbits, mice and deer) and provide sufficient water .. you'll enjoy great results. Good luck.

The answer is .... you can plant an oak tree in any month when the ground is soft enough to allow you to dig a hole; PROVIDED, during the period May - August (and most other months to be honest) you can - and are willing to - provide water in addition to whatever rainfall occurs. If May-August happens to be unusually cool and abnormally wet, you might not even have to supplement water. If you want max. growth, eliminate competition, provide protection (rabbits, mice and deer) and provide sufficient water .. you'll enjoy great results. Good luck.
Thank You OakSeeds , no problem watering so I will plant them as soon as I get time.

Now is a great time to plant. My son and I planted a bunch of trees from Nativ Nurseries today. I highly recommend tree tubes or cages. Good luck!

Neat story. Thanks for sharing. I bet your seedlings will do great as long as you are able to get water to them.

I am planting 50 oak trees over the next couple days. I am waiting for a couple hybrids to show up in the mail from Nativ. Have a nice order of swamp white oak and burr oak to pick up friday morning from Itasca. My trees arrived today from MDC.

I am planting 50 oak trees over the next couple days. I am waiting for a couple hybrids to show up in the mail from Nativ. Have a nice order of swamp white oak and burr oak to pick up friday morning from Itasca. My trees arrived today from MDC.

I planted 10 Bur Oak plugs from Itasca, and 15 from Univ of Idaho Nursery. I like the plugs better from Idaho. $2.50 each, bigger plugs overall.

Always cool to have some sort of connection with your past. I hope your trees do well for you. You will want to plant them where they will get plenty of sun and you will need to cage them as well. Oaks have a long tap root so make sure you address any root circling or the like when planting them.

I had a habitat friend make a similar suggestion when I commented about a walnut grove my grandfather planted.....it's one of my favorite places in the world. I think one day I am going to collect some of those walnuts and create my own grove.

Always cool to have some sort of connection with your past. I hope your trees do well for you. You will want to plant them where they will get plenty of sun and you will need to cage them as well. Oaks have a long tap root so make sure you address any root circling or the like when planting them.

I had a habitat friend make a similar suggestion when I commented about a walnut grove my grandfather planted.....it's one of my favorite places in the world. I think one day I am going to collect some of those walnuts and create my own grove.
That sounds like a great idea