Northern Whitetail Crabs

Oh wow, I have never seen anything like that on an apple!

A first for me as well, I actually thought CAR only affected the leaves and commonly see that. It's quite disappointing, I plant crabs for disease resistance. That being said, my NWCs have by far been my best growing soft mast trees.

A picture is worth a thousand words. The three NWC trees I planted this spring have been my most vigorous growers this year. I’ve planted trees from several nurseries. The only time a leader has been bent over it had help from four legged furry bastards.

The tree in late April;
RNfK2rg.jpg

The tree yesterday it has been extra supported and tied up high for a few weeks;

fghpyAY.jpg

QakrqJR.jpg

zHdIeZ1.jpg

I am thinking now over fertilizing and it just got growing to fast and made it weak? Can still see some of the weird curving on some of branches right side.

It looks like you’re maybe in a woods opening? It might be reaching towards sunlight. Mine do that even in a field setting. But trees along the edge always end up with a south lean. I’ve even got trees in the outer rows with a damn lean on them. I try to trim to balance them out but it’s tough to stake a tree once it gets to 10’+.

87c4c40222b25aef4073a0f4e3eb8b95.jpg

This is in my outside row. Top is heading south.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like you’re maybe in a woods opening? It might be reaching towards sunlight. Mine do that even in a field setting. But trees along the edge always end up with a south lean. I’ve even got trees in the outer rows with a damn lean on them. I try to trim to balance them out but it’s tough to stake a tree once it gets to 10’+.

It's planted with a bunch of others along the south end of woods out in the open in the old CRP strip that goes around woods, it is leaning east.

30-06 crab around the size of a quarter
FaaezjQ.png

DropTine crab same, about size of a quarter maybe a little bigger...the racoons went after them hard in late august as soon as they turned sweet it was loaded this year.
kyhZz4G.png

And just because I like these trees...Golden Hornet crab two years in ground, they are a little bigger than a nickel.
f14Vozc.png
H20fwler do you have any opinions or preference between the 30 06 and droptine from NWC ?. I planted both varieties this year and they are both doing great. My only observation would be the beetles or something like to eat on the leaves of the droptine more so than the 30 06

How does everyone keep the Root Stock from suckering all the time?

H20fwler do you have any opinions or preference between the 30 06 and droptine from NWC ?. I planted both varieties this year and they are both doing great. My only observation would be the beetles or something like to eat on the leaves of the droptine more so than the 30 06

I like them both really well!
The DropTine fruited faster for me and might have grown a little quicker and the fruit will hang into late January easy.
I just love the way the 30-06 apples look, like miniature HoneyCrisp in clusters.
Deer and other wildlife seem to like them both a lot.

Chad, I haven’t had much of an issue here with them suckering much.

My 5 trees from NWC went in the ground today. This is what the roots look like.

2 Sheepnose
1 Drop Tine
1 Grey Ghost
1 30-06

I'm done planting apple trees forever except for replacements.

Hey Native , I realize this is an old post, and this may have been asked before. Since they were planted in 2017 just wondering how the drop times of your NWC trees worked out for you. My first order of trees from NWC was planted last year. 2 Droptines , 2 30-06 and 1 Crossbow. Right now both of the droptines have several dozen crabapples , one of the 30-06 trees has maybe a dozen , no fruit on the other 30-06 or Crossbow. I'm hoping nothing eats the fruits off the rest of the sommer so I get an idea of when they drop this fall.

Hey Native , I realize this is an old post, and this may have been asked before. Since they were planted in 2017 just wondering how the drop times of your NWC trees worked out for you. My first order of trees from NWC was planted last year. 2 Droptines , 2 30-06 and 1 Crossbow. Right now both of the droptines have several dozen crabapples , one of the 30-06 trees has maybe a dozen , no fruit on the other 30-06 or Crossbow. I'm hoping nothing eats the fruits off the rest of the sommer so I get an idea of when they drop this fall.
So far I've had excellent vegetative growth on all of the NWCs, but fruit production to date has been very little. To be fair, we experienced severe late freezes at the location where my NWC trees are planted both last year and this year. Last year was a complete bust on all apples and this year is close to the same thing. Because of that, I cannot judge them fairly right now. Oddly enough, 11 miles away at my home I had an excellent crop last year and my best crop ever this year, but I don't have any NWCs planted at that location.

So far I've had excellent vegetative growth on all of the NWCs, but fruit production to date has been very little. To be fair, we experienced severe late freezes at the location where my NWC trees are planted both last year and this year. Last year was a complete bust on all apples and this year is close to the same thing. Because of that, I cannot judge them fairly right now. Oddly enough, 11 miles away at my home I had an excellent crop last year and my best crop ever this year, but I don't have any NWCs planted at that location.
Wow sorry to hear about your late freezes messing everything up. I'm in the south zone 7 , and we got a late freeze or two this spring , but I don't think it effected much. Considering my NWC trees were only planted last spring I'm happy with the few dozen good sized crabapples on them this year....and hopefully each year the crop improves. I really should wait until I find out the droptimes of the trees I already have planted before buying more....however I'm not getting any younger and don't have time to waste lol , so I'll probably be ordering something from NWC or Blue hill this September