Northern Whitetail Crabs

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. In three years you will have at least ten trees in each location.

Lots of apple pushers here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me about it ... I now have 40 planted in last 3 years with another 14 coming next spring :emoji_astonished::emoji_grin:

So far, I have one tree on order. And some scion coming from a friend for topworking.

I must be close to 200 trees. I keep finding some that I had forgot about.

I just ordered a half dozen! Im sure thats just the begining....

Just don’t do what I have done a few years ago and your vision blurs how much you can plant. I have looked at the pile I bought in April and think what the hell was I doing on that computer during the winter months:emoji_astonished::emoji_cold_sweat:

Just don’t do what I have done a few years ago and your vision blurs how much you can plant. I have looked at the pile I bought in April and think what the hell was I doing on that computer during the winter months:emoji_astonished::emoji_cold_sweat:

The past couple years I say I’m good on fruit trees.....then I see some apple or pear on this site and spend way to much time on here through winter and come spring... same thing, I’m digging more holes and screening and caging more trees.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. In three years you will have at least ten trees in each location.

Lots of apple pushers here!

Tell me about it ... I now have 40 planted in last 3 years with another 14 coming next spring :emoji_astonished::emoji_grin:

50 fruit trees over the past two springs, trying to sit on my hands this year.

Question regarding these trees. First am just getting into adding fruit trees to my property. Just ordered 2 crossbow and 2 wickson from Whitetail for delivery in April 2020. As i dont have any fruit trees on the property will these 2 types of trees cross pollinate? Was planning on planting 1 of each in two locations over some small food plots.

thanks in advance. .

Call NWC, they’ll surely be able to answer that question. Having dealt with them several years in a row, I don’t think he would sell you trees that wouldn’t pollinate each other without mentioning it.

C'mon, Weekender - there's always room for another fruit tree !!!

Got my SLN catalog too. I wish we had more room that was not being used for food plots. 1 tree ordered from Cummins so far. That'll fill a spot left open.

These 2 NWCs were planted Spring 17, so 3 years of growth. No fruit yet, but as you can see, lots of vegetative growth.

YBDZaTb.jpg

7TE7LPU.jpg

Update on my NWC trees.

I probably have a dozen of them out total mostly crabs, oldest of them have been in ground five years. This year my best DropTine around 15’ tall bent right over, it did not have a heavy fruit set at all due to a late mid-May freeze. Even a couple of the larger lower branches sagged down. I ended up using a ten foot metal conduit to stake and
tie it back up. Not sure exactly what caused this but I would recommend not fertilizing them very heavy if at all. It could be some disease I don’t know about? The tree looks very healthy and vigorous other than the weepy look.

Also this year the Jap beetles seem to be showing preference to my DropTines and 30-06 so I gave them a quick shot of Sevin.

Just a heads up for anyone with NWC.

Update on my NWC trees.

I probably have a dozen of them out total mostly crabs, oldest of them have been in ground five years. This year my best DropTine around 15’ tall bent right over, it did not have a heavy fruit set at all due to a late mid-May freeze. Even a couple of the larger lower branches sagged down. I ended up using a ten foot metal conduit to stake and
tie it back up. Not sure exactly what caused this but I would recommend not fertilizing them very heavy if at all. It could be some disease I don’t know about? The tree looks very healthy and vigorous other than the weepy look.

Also this year the Jap beetles seem to be showing preference to my DropTines and 30-06 so I gave them a quick shot of Sevin.

A picture is worth a thousand words. The three NWC trees I planted this spring have been my most vigorous growers this year. I’ve planted trees from several nurseries. The only time a leader has been bent over it had help from four legged furry bastards.

Update on my NWC trees.

Do you think a large bear could of climbed up the tree and cause it to bend over ?

Do you think a large bear could of climbed up the tree and cause it to bend over ?
No bears in NW Ohio.

Could it be coons? I have a lot of bears but the coons do the most damage to my young trees.

Could it be coons? I have a lot of bears but the coons do the most damage to my young trees.

Coons f up my trees all the time. They’ve wrecked two in the last two weeks.

No, luckily we have no bears! We do have a lot of racoons, damage did not look like coons though. They normally break branches on a tree that size and that tree is fenced with a five foot tall 2"X4" wire and surrounded by briars, with hardly any fruit that is far from ripe.

The tree just seems to pliable with a trunk the size of a baseball bat, reminds me of a young white pine the way it is able to bend. The tree was bent over at about five or six feet and the last three feet of it turned back up a few feet from the ground making it look like a big capital S with branches. The larger lower branches were also bent down giving it a weepy look. At the bends it has what looks like stretch marks on a human, I totally expected it to break off when I went to straighten it back up but it did not.
I'll try and get a couple pics this weekend to post up if I can get out to it.

Seems the fruit on my 10 point and Droptine have been hit with CAR. Only minor spotting on leaves. 30-06 is clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_183645306.jpg
    IMG_20200722_183645306.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 68
Seems the fruit on my 10 point and Droptine have been hit with CAR. Only minor spotting on leaves. 30-06 is clean.

Oh wow, I have never seen anything like that on an apple!