Northern whitetail crabs

I received Scions of 30-06 and the DropTine this winter and my grafts are already pushing growth. Reading this thread it seems like they are winners. Mine are on M111 rootstock.

I received Scions of 30-06 and the DropTine this winter and my grafts are already pushing growth. Reading this thread it seems like they are winners. Mine are on M111 rootstock.

I finished grafting scions last night that came from my original 2017 NWC planting, 30-06, DropTine, and 10 Point. About 20 out of 165 trees total were NWC varieties.

My NWC order showed up today. I’m very impressed with the size of their trees! I plan on getting them in the ground tomorrow. My order consisted with three DropTine crab, three 30-06 crab, one Liberty, and one Enterprise. The two apple trees are both on m.111 rootstock according to Terry. They all have a HUGE fibrous root system! D190D84A-DBB7-4C3B-B65E-6E1814266B1C.jpeg

Nice shelf of Euro's Buffalohunter! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sweet trees too they look great, good choices.

Those trees look great! Terry said they had excellent growing conditions this year.

I received a call today. They must be shipping to Zone 4. Looks like I get to play in the dirt!

-John

Anyone get theirs yet this week?! Guess mine still haven't arrived.

Those trees look great! I wish I could have gotten my hands on some, but for some reason neither my e-mail nor phone calls were returned and I never managed to hook up with them this winter. After several tries at each, I gave up. Should've been more persistent from the looks of it.

Question:

When did you guys get billed for your trees? Website makes it sound like you'll get charged about the time they go out. Terry told me last week that mine would be shipped this past Monday. I don't want to be a pest and bug him again. But I have 8 holes dug and 800 lbs of rock sitting in my plot, cages all cut sitting there. If they ship Fedex I still may have a chance they come today, but Ups is usually delivered in the am here.

Im waiting to mort, said he shipped them monday on UPS. Said they should be here this afternoon.

Getting nervous, that is a long time in a box on a truck.

I knew I could make them come... I finally washed my truck over lunch.

Yikes. I should've dug bigger holes.

Well I was worried for nothing. I thought these were going to come all leafed out, but Terry must have a meat locker he stored them in. They were basically dormant. And very nice sized. I wonder how old these trees are. I would also agree the roots highly resemble my M111s. I had pre-dug holes, and figured they were plenty big, but ended up trimming the roots just a little. They were sealed well for the transit. Anxious to see what these puppies will do. Wraps up my tree planting season on a good note.

20190426_152102.jpg20190426_155547.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I was worried for nothing. I thought these were going to come all leafed out, but Terry must have a meat locker he stored them in. They were basically dormant. And very nice sized. I wonder how old these trees are. I would also agree the roots highly resemble my M111s. I had pre-dug holes, and figured they were plenty big, but ended up trimming the roots just a little. They were sealed well for the transit. Anxious to see what these puppies will do. Wraps up my tree planting season on a good note.

View attachment 23864View attachment 23865
My pears and chestnuts came all leafed out from TWG this year and promptly had some die back and black tips. Hope they make it. Those trees do look good. They will be on the shortlist next year.

View attachment 23864View attachment 23865
Any concern with how much top growth is there compared to the roots?

Hmm. Well they're definitely fairly large trees. Honestly I'd say it looks a little bigger in that pic than how they actually look after being planted. What's your thoughts? Do you think I should crop them down a little?

Edit: I didn't stake them either.

Last edited:
I'm sure they will be fine. I was just curious! How are they doing?

I thought my 2018 trees from NWC were great but the 2019 trees are even bigger! Roots and tree much bigger than the other nurseries I order from. Pictured is a 3006 crab. The two apple varieties and other crab were just as impressive.duUXzqTOTwW1nglef1X8QA.jpg