Northern whitetail crabs

Question for guys growing crabs from NWC. How are the branch angles on those trees ??

They are growing up and out really good similar to enterprise but not so wide. I’ll take a pic and post up for you next time I’m out at the little woods that’s where my oldest ones are. This year I’ll be cutting off all the lower stuff, so far I’ve just done light pruning on anything growing in.
On a side note, the DropTine’s and 30-06’s are still holding a few shriveled apples that the raccoons haven’t spotted yet.

Did your NWT crabs produce a lot of fruit this year? How big are the apples? Mine produced a few last year but they were very small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did your NWT crabs produce a lot of fruit this year? How big are the apples? Mine produced a few last year but they were very small.

The DropTine’s did, they have for a couple years now. Little green crabs the size of a quarter like miniature Granny Smiths that turn yellowish late season. It was the first year for me that the 30-06’s have made fruit not a lot but same size looking like miniature Honeycrisp. Haven’t had fruit yet from the Tenpoint’s but really good growth on everything. These are all planted south side of woods in a CRP strip with Sheepnose and Gray Ghost from same nursery along with a lot of other apple&pears from other nurseries.

I planted ten or so crabs from NWC at the other farm this past spring, it was my third purchase from them. These trees were planted in pasture out in the open with direct sunlight all day. The growth on them from 3’ whips to 6’+ branched trees this year was impressive. A few of them tried to make apples very first year and I picked them off.
The most vigorous of the NWC for me here both farms has been the DropTine followed by the 30-06.

Question for guys growing crabs from NWC. How are the branch angles on those trees ??

Bows, there are several different varieties, and some of the varieties have better branch angles than others. Below is a picture I took today of a 30-06 Crab that was planted Spring of 2017, so you can see what it did with 2 years growth. I haven't used any clothespins on this tree or anything like that. I would call this about average good on the angles but exceptional on the amount of growth in 2 years.

It does look like in that pic I have a double trunk stating. I didn't notice that today but will check it and take care of it if necessary on the next trip to the farm.

M6QSPGF.jpg

Bows, there are several different varieties, and some of the varieties have better branch angles than others. Below is a picture I took today of a 30-06 Crab that was planted Spring of 2017, so you can see what it did with 2 years growth. I haven't used any clothespins on this tree or anything like that. I would call this about average good on the angles but exceptional on the amount of growth in 2 years.

It does look like in that pic I have a double trunk stating. I didn't notice that today but will check it and take care of it if necessary on the next trip to the farm.

M6QSPGF.jpg

Native, the branch angles on your trees look a lot better than mine. Mine are growing similar to pear trees. Interesting. They are certainly impressive growers that’s for sure.

Native, the branch angles on your trees look a lot better than mine. Mine are growing similar to pear trees. Interesting. They are certainly impressive growers that’s for sure.

It is amazing how fast these trees grow. I have a couple more that are even larger than the one in the picture. I didn't look at those trees today, but I think they are more vertical growers like you mentioned. I believe that the amazing roots are the reason for the great vegetative growth.

Native - Thanks for the pic and yep - that's really good growth. Branch angles aren't bad, especially the ones higher up. I have some branching like the higher ones in your pic that are higher up on some of our trees. No clothes pins or any other training on the higher ones. I wonder why that is ?? My lower limbs almost always need clothes pins when young or limb spreaders as they gain wood & length.

Native - Thanks for the pic and yep - that's really good growth. Branch angles aren't bad, especially the ones higher up. I have some branching like the higher ones in your pic that are higher up on some of our trees. No clothes pins or any other training on the higher ones. I wonder why that is ?? My lower limbs almost always need clothes pins when young or limb spreaders as they gain wood & length.

I'm not sure why that is, but I have noticed that they can actually look better sometimes as a tree ages.

You might like the way that Dozier Crab looks in the pic below. I really like the form of this tree and it has been a winner in all respects for me so far.

hBMKf9kh.jpg

Does anyone know if these guys send out shipping notices? Has anyone gotten their trees yet?

Does anyone know if these guys send out shipping notices? Has anyone gotten their trees yet?

I give them a specific shipping date but they might be making an exception due to my circumstances. Terry usually returns phone calls within a few days if you have a question.

I called him after receiving a stark order way earlier than I wanted. He was happy to hold my shipment until late April.

Any shipped yet? Seems about time.

I received mine early last week, very large trees and looked to be in great health

I got mine last week. Located in centeral Illinois. Great looking trees and root system.. already planted!!

My trees will be shipped on the 29th, can't wait!

I texted Terry from NWC and he said my order got shipped yesterday afternoon and I should receive it later this week. I received my order from SLN last Friday. Planting season has arrived!

Terry told me today that mine will get shipped next Monday. My TC and SLN trees are planted.

Anyone else suspect these trees are on M111 rootstock? Mine in tubes developed bur knots where wet leaf litter overwintered. I still don't understand the rootstock secrecy with them. Regardless, the trees I planted in 2017 from them have all performed great.

Anyone else suspect these trees are on M111 rootstock? Mine in tubes developed bur knots where wet leaf litter overwintered. I still don't understand the rootstock secrecy with them. Regardless, the trees I planted in 2017 from them have all performed great.

Yes, I agree. Mine have also developed bur knots. I suspect MM111.

I have really good luck with 111 around here, I’ll order some next year if I find more space