New kitchen table

b116757

5 year old buck +
Working on a new kitchen table for the house using Osage orange wood for it. That Osage is a pain in the backside to work with on project this large very prone to tear out.

IMG_0815.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0814.jpeg
    IMG_0814.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 52
And heavy

I would like to meet the owner of that table 700 years from now! Thing is gonna last FOREVER! Looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trimmed the ends put on the bread boards ends routed the sliding dovetails to attach the leg system and threw on a coat of poly on the bottom side.

IMG_0848.jpeg

That is insanely good looking! I am impressed with your craftsmanship. That had to be hell on your tools. Not sure where you got your Osage orange, but it can’t be from near me as I don’t see any old barbed wire in it!

That is insanely good looking! I am impressed with your craftsmanship. That had to be hell on your tools. Not sure where you got your Osage orange, but it can’t be from near me as I don’t see any old barbed wire in it!

I can give you alot just come and get it! LOL Not alot of it is straight though it is an understory tree in one of my timber blocks. I have cut a few fence posts but most of it is too crooked or thin for that.

I had three spectacularly clear Osage boards from back when I had a sawmill I’ve been saving for about 15 years. A couple maybe three or four years ago I cut some more Osage logs and hauled over to the Amish mill to give me plenty of wood for this project. I finally got around to starting it. Osage I have a lots of I pushed out about 2 miles of heavily wooded with Osage fence rows in the last 3 or so years. I have one guy that sells firewood been cutting most weekends for the last 6 months on one of the farms and another guy came and cut 20 or so posts out of it. As far as the tools go I don’t really notice it being any harder to machine than most other hardwoods it’s poor workability has more to do with its tear out issues and internal cracks it’s generally speaking a very poor wood for cabinetry but I wanted to build this table.

It always seems hard as nails. I’m surprised it works up so good. I gave some from an old old fence post to a buddy who turned me a duck call. He mentioned the tear out as well.

Here is the design I am hoping to use or something similar for the main dining table in the new house, potentially the large island in the basement as well. Hoping to harvest timber from our own property yet this Winter and by the time it is dry enough I will have a functional wood shop up and running. We are using knotty alder for the cabinets, doors and interior wood trim in the new house. Thinking hickory for the lighter sections and walnut and oak for the darker shaded areas. My brother-in-law does some small pieces that aren't stained at all, he just mixes different species of woods to create the look he is wanting. I would like to use the natural wood colors, and no stain, and then epoxy the top.

new house table.jpg

Beautiful!
Tooln made a knife for me out of hedge, and I have a friend who built damn near his whole interior of his house (log cabin) out of it. Turns red after a while. That table is NICE! Good job!

3357119f1d2cb3039e72477562c8970b.jpg

I gave him the hedge so he made me the hedge and ebony call on the right. Then I gave him a pile of old sheds to turn so he gave me the hedge and antler call on the left. Cat is right, it will age to this orange-red color.

Last edited:
3357119f1d2cb3039e72477562c8970b.jpg

I gave him the hedge so he made me the hedge and ebony call on the right. Then I gave him a pile of old sheds to turn so he gave me the hedge and antler call on the left. Cat is right, it will age to this orange-red color.

Wow! Just wow! I love duck calls and those are spectacular. Your buddy builds top notch calls!

Trimmed the ends put on the bread boards ends routed the sliding dovetails to attach the leg system and threw on a coat of poly on the bottom side.

View attachment 61397
How did you attach the bread board ends? I've read several articles about wood movement on tables and it seems there are a number of ways to attach bread board ends. My wife and I love the farmhouse table look.

I cut a tongue on the table top and mortise on the bread board ends drilled three holes slotted the outside two holes in the tongue and made osage dowels I glued about 6 inches in the center of the bread board ends but the ends and free floating for seasonal movement. I would have preferred to not have used bread board ends but there was enough defects in the osage I felt I needed the added strength. Osage despite it’s reputation isn’t a super strong wood in my experience. As an example of this I routinely will use wood as a buffer when striking a welding project or other metal working project that I don’t want marred from direct hammer contact. Osage shatters with a minimal of hits compared to other woods I use.

Absolutely love the table, that is awesome!

Growing up one of the farms we owned used to be a big horse farm well over 100 years ago. There was still some old fence from the horse farm days along one end, all the posts were Osage. We used to pull them and re-use them at our hog farm.
Twenty years ago I pulled one, cut the bottom off and sent the fence post wood to a friend of mine that made calls. He did up a nice pair of duck&goose calls from it. They sound pretty good, I have only used them as wall hangs though trying to keep them nice.
I should take them out with me sometime when I do our late season all old wood decoy rig hunt with my boys.

IMG_6690.jpeg

Lotta work on that one but it should never come apart

It’s for sale on marketplace I’m a little tempted to buy it just for the interesting joinery.

Bought some chain from a guy about 10,000 foot total mostly smaller stuff I gave $500 for it all probably around $6000 worth retail

#3 double loop in 20’ prepackaged 2000’

#2 coil straight 20’ prepackaged 3200’

#14 jack chain 200’ rolls 800’

#10 jack chain 125’ rolls 375’

#4 coil straight in misc pails 2300’

2/0 machine straight 10’ prepackaged 950’

2/0 machine twist 100’ rolls 300’
2/0 machine twist 10’ packages 50’

Bought some chain from a guy about 10,000 foot total mostly smaller stuff I gave $500 for it all probably around $6000 worth retail

#3 double loop in 20’ prepackaged 2000’

#2 coil straight 20’ prepackaged 3200’

#14 jack chain 200’ rolls 800’

#10 jack chain 125’ rolls 375’

#4 coil straight in misc pails 2300’

2/0 machine straight 10’ prepackaged 950’

2/0 machine twist 100’ rolls 300’
2/0 machine twist 10’ packages 50’
If you are looking to sell it hit up any trapping supply place locally or post it on trapperman.com in the "fur shed" sales category. A lot of those sizes are used for trapping purposes.