Neighboring land for sale

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
So some neighboring land I have wanted to buy for 15 years is going up for sale soon. The problem is, my wife and I have already decided to build a new shed, and an addition to the house. Do I put off building, and buy the land, that probably won’t go back up for sale? Or do I build as planned, and forget the land?

I would be borrowing about half for either, and I am in my mid 50’s.

I’ve always heard you only get once chance to buy your neighbors
Obviously it’s an oversimplification but these chances rarely come around.
Pretty sure a shed and addition can be done anytime you can swing it.

Buy the land. If you don't you will regret it!

Like you say it won't be for sale again.

I've bought the neighbors twice. Should have been three times but I thought the price was to high and they would come down. There was a fist sized hole in my sheetrock when I learned it sold. 😤

I fixed the hole but lost the land.

But in all fairness you're asking the wrong group if you want an unbiased general poll on the subject. Asking us if you should buy more hunting land is like asking only evangelicals if you should be pro life.

Happy wife, happy life...

How big of addition? Can you buy the land, put on the addition, and wait on the shed?

How much would the new piece of land change your hunting? My biggest fear about not buying a neighbors land if it went on the market is the riff raff that might buy it! One bad neighbor can ruin alot of what you have already built.

How big of addition? Can you buy the land, put on the addition, and wait on the shed?

About 150k for shed and house. Land is 40 acres, I don’t know the price yet. But imagine less then that.

Last edited:
How much would the new piece of land change your hunting? My biggest fear about not buying a neighbors land if it went on the market is the riff raff that might buy it! One bad neighbor can ruin alot of what you have already built.

This is my concern, I only own 25 acres, this land is 40. The current owner doesn’t hunt, and it is a great deer sanctuary, and my concern would be new owners will hunt it hard.

Not sure how much land you own or if you have a definite need for more? A few years ago I would be quite interested in adding some neighbors land. Now?.....I feel it would be too much of a burden to take on more land. No doubt your ideas will change with time. If I were 50.....I am quite sure I would buy more land.

Edit: I just read you got 25 acres. Buy baby buy!

Start a go fund me. I'll kick in 20. You gotta buy that land. Some dooshy will buy it and make a truck garden or trailer park. Of course I'm partying over my trophy doe tonight and that might be the booze talking. I'll still kick in tho.

I am pretty much convinced I am buying if the price is decent. My wife knows as well, but she really doesn’t want to wait long to build. Right now we have to climb stairs several times a day, and the plan is to change things so the upstairs would be spare rooms, rather than the kitchen, and bedrooms upstairs. So up and down stairs many times a day.

I think material costs are still high. In a couple of years inflation and interest rates should come down. May be worthwhile to hold of on building.

So some neighboring land I have wanted to buy for 15 years is going up for sale soon. The problem is, my wife and I have already decided to build a new shed, and an addition to the house. Do I put off building, and buy the land, that probably won’t go back up for sale? Or do I build as planned, and forget the land?

I would be borrowing about half for either, and I am in my mid 50’s.
Land, I just screwed up and will never get a shot at the land next to mine that I could have just bought ...

100% I would buy the land.
It might be the only time it comes available in your lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk