Mystery, thought it was an ark black........

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
I have had this one since it was a 3/4 inch whip. thought for sure it was an Arkansas Black, and planted compatible polinators to try to entice fruit. But, here goes another season with little to no fruit. tree is healthy as heck, not bothered by disease, but not doing its job. tree is about 4 inch caliber now, and about 20 feet tall. little to no pruning done. stumped, any chance any ideas based on shape?20190527_145609(26).jpg

How many years in the ground and is the tree flowering?

at least 12 years in the ground, and yes it flowers, right around the same time as a few of the pollinators that are planted within 50 feet.

at least 12 years in the ground, and yes it flowers, right around the same time as a few of the pollinators that are planted within 50 feet.

I can't help as far as the shape of the tree, because so many varieties are similar. I've seen seedlings take 12 years to start fruiting, and it takes longer than that for it to really get good. That tree looks bigger to me than the typical semi dwarf at 12 years old, so I suspect it is going to be a full sized tree. If that's the case, it may just need a little more time.

I had a persimmon tree that had been planted 14 years, and it had one flower and one persimmon last year. This year it is covered with persimmons.

My FIL had an apple tree he dug up as a sprout. It never offered to fruit until it had been planted over 13 or 14 years, but then took off making nice apples.

I think you will be okay given some more time. Good Luck!

Some pruning to let some light in might help it to fruit, it looks pretty full in the middle. Some of the Spy's are slow fruiters if they are on standard or similar rootstock, I guess you will have to wait for an apple to see what it really is.
It's sure a nice healthy tree.

If you pluck a few representative healthy, mature leaves from the mid portion of a section of this year's growth in August, lay them on a white sheet of paper, take a photo, and post it, I can compare it to the leaves of my Arkansas Blacks and let you know if the leaves look like mine or not.

I'll try that pics on a white background for ya when I get down there next, not sure when that will be.

I have Macoun that grows kinda upright like that. Mine has produced, but it seems to be biannual, and is pretty stingy when it does produce. I am sure there are other options, but I offer this as one. With this much time invested in getting a tree to this size, I am being patient with it... there is always next year!!

Attachments

• 2018 06-29.jpg
    2018 06-29.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 13
^^^ Nice looking tree A.J.

that tree looks to be more rounded than mine, my limbs are a lot more upright giving to the oval shape.

Man, my ark black has such nice crotch angles. It looks nothing like that!

I have a Macoun that is similar shape but maybe more like Northern Spy I have but my NS aren’t as full and have been producing since about 4 years old. My Macoun have been great producers just some years a little light. My Cripps Pink also tend to grow oval with heavy thick internal branching so they get a bit more pruning and provide good crops. Here is one of my Cripps Pink439DA6EF-35D9-419E-B7BC-137648A69E5F.jpeg

Last edited: